My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Gotta be quick.

Has Chukwu experiment before the end of November?

TRob followed the USC game with this? Not cool for a senior.

Thought DC2 played really well on offense. Disappointed with his rebounding but there weren't that many shots to rebound. Good to see him finishing consistently. If this team is to make noise, he has to be a contributor.

The weakness for UW is with their interior defense. We desperately need a PG who can get the ball down low consistently. When UW used a 6'3 guard on TL, we should have posted him up down low every time down the court. If the staff is too dense to notice it, the PG should. And TL should know enough to just do it automatically. We can't let teams defend us by putting a guard on TL.

That was a B1G crew and you could tell from the opening tap. UW knew what they could get away with and played the refs as beautifully as they executed their offense.

No one played well on defense but when TT was in, I bet UW got a dunk over 50% of the time. He has to rotate better. Was just abused out there every minute he was in.

JG and AW were almost as bad up top. Rarely covered anyone on the perimeter. Rarely tried to take away entry passes to the high post. Spent a lot of time in places where they didn't help on defense at all.

Was tremendously disappointed with how we chose to defend UW. You keep a body on Happ at all times. When UW got the ball to Hayes just inside the FT line, let him shoot. Do not cover him...he was looking to pass 95% of the time. Mostly to Happ. It was bad enough this happened all the time in the first half. It was inexcusable to happen all the time in the second half. We should have taken Happ away and #24 and not worried about their role players. Yes, Hayes would have scored some but I would rather have him shooting 14 foot jumpers than Happ dunking every time down the court. I hope this was more a function of all the players inexperienced in playing the 2-3 than anything else.

FH is a really good athlete and is probably our best defender and definitely our best passer. We need him out there. When he gets in foul trouble or dog house trouble, it has a major impact on the team. Don't know exactly what he did to end up sitting so much (yes, he made some bad decisions, as did everyone) but wow, we are lost without him out there. He needs to get his head right.

What were the UW fans booing all the time? Were they all drunk?

Gotta be quick.

Has Chukwu experiment before the end of November?

TRob followed the USC game with this? Not cool for a senior.

Thought DC2 played really well on offense. Disappointed with his rebounding but there weren't that many shots to rebound. Good to see him finishing consistently. If this team is to make noise, he has to be a contributor.

The weakness for UW is with their interior defense. We desperately need a PG who can get the ball down low consistently. When UW used a 6'3 guard on TL, we should have posted him up down low every time down the court. If the staff is too dense to notice it, the PG should. And TL should know enough to just do it automatically. We can't let teams defend us by putting a guard on TL.

That was a B1G crew and you could tell from the opening tap. UW knew what they could get away with and played the refs as beautifully as they executed their offense.

No one played well on defense but when TT was in, I bet UW got a dunk over 50% of the time. He has to rotate better. Was just abused out there every minute he was in.

JG and AW were almost as bad up top. Rarely covered anyone on the perimeter. Rarely tried to take away entry passes to the high post. Spent a lot of time in places where they didn't help on defense at all.

Was tremendously disappointed with how we chose to defend UW. You keep a body on Happ at all times. When UW got the ball to Hayes just inside the FT line, let him shoot. Do not cover him...he was looking to pass 95% of the time. Mostly to Happ. It was bad enough this happened all the time in the first half. It was inexcusable to happen all the time in the second half. We should have taken Happ away and #24 and not worried about their role players. Yes, Hayes would have scored some but I would rather have him shooting 14 foot jumpers than Happ dunking every time down the court. I hope this was more a function of all the players inexperienced in playing the 2-3 than anything else.

FH is a really good athlete and is probably our best defender and definitely our best passer. We need him out there. When he gets in foul trouble or dog house trouble, it has a major impact on the team. Don't know exactly what he did to end up sitting so much (yes, he made some bad decisions, as did everyone) but wow, we are lost without him out there. He needs to get his head right.

What were the UW fans booing all the time? Were they all drunk?
Great point on Happ. Everyone who follows SU knew he was going to abuse us. Pack it in and let Hayes fire away.

The more I see Howard play, the less convinced I am that he's going to be adequate at lead guard.

I'm thinking that given his size and improved offensive game, if his best bet is to develop as a combo in the vein of Triche--someone who can clearly handle and pass, but isn't necessarily responsible for running the team's sets. Just a thought.

Good stuff but FH our best defender? Can't agree with that one and if you're right about that, then we are in worse shape that I thought.

One interesting take away for me was the environment. Knowing how hard UW is to beat at home, I was expecting something much more intimidating. Even with building a big lead in the first half, the crowd did not seem overly excited or loud. Certainly nothing like UVa, Duke, Pitt, Louisville. I was surprised just how subdued they seemed.

The more I see Howard play, the less convinced I am that he's going to be adequate at lead guard.

I'm thinking that given his size and improved offensive game, if his best bet is to develop as a combo in the vein of Triche--someone who can clearly handle and pass, but isn't necessarily responsible for running the team's sets. Just a thought.
Agreed. And he'd be fine as a Triche type if his shot continues developing and he can improve on D.

This program needs a true lead guard in the worst way. Losing out on Quade hurts more than just losing a normal top 25 player.

Agreed. And he'd be fine as a Triche type if his shot continues developing and he can improve on D.

This program needs a true lead guard in the worst way. Losing out on Quade hurts more than just losing a normal top 25 player.
Except Triche was a solid and dependable player even as a true frosh.

Howard is late to the game at PG and it shows. His HS injury and lack of PT last year delayed his transition to the position. I think there is still reason to think he can improve here. I haven't been impressed by his decision making but his outside shooting and general athletic ability have been really good.

JG might be a little better right now but the ceiling for FH is a lot higher. To make this team a title contender, we might have to take one step back to take two forward, by playiing FH a lot early in the season. Even in big games where Syracuse could lose...

should not spend the first 15 seconds of each possession just dribbling around.

His refusal to start the offense before the 15 second mark drove me insane last night...especially when were down double digits with under 5 to go. I didn't think we would win, but come on, at least try to make a game of it.

Good stuff but FH our best defender? Can't agree with that one and if you're right about that, then we are in worse shape that I thought.
Well, if he isn't, who is?

I think the list is long for poor defenders at this point.

When we play Louisville you will see this exact same thing again. Pitino invented the playbook of putting someone at the free throw line and passing to open shooters behind the arc or dumping it to the center for dunks if our center comes up to guard the free throw line. It almost always works if you have the players to execute it and make the shots. Fortunately many teams just don't have the personnel. We have to decide what we want to take away and what shots we will give them. Yesterday we never reacted period.

To make this team a title contender, we might have to take one step back to take two forward, by playiing FH a lot early in the season. Even in big games where Syracuse could lose...
God bless you tom for still somehow entertaining the wildly fantastic notion that this team could still cut down the nets.

Except Triche was a solid and dependable player even as a true frosh.

Howard is late to the game at PG and it shows. His HS injury and lack of PT last year delayed his transition to the position. I think there is still reason to think he can improve here. I haven't been impressed by his decision making but his outside shooting and general athletic ability have been really good.

JG might be a little better right now but the ceiling for FH is a lot higher. To make this team a title contender, we might have to take one step back to take two forward, by playiing FH a lot early in the season. Even in big games where Syracuse could lose...
spot on.
and I firmly believe FH is actually the better point guard now. repeating myself, but I just cannot understand what anyone has seen in Gillon that gives them any confidence in his running our offense (or defending at the top of the zone)

spot on.
and I firmly believe FH is actually the better point guard now. repeating myself, but I just cannot understand what anyone has seen in Gillon that gives them any confidence in his running our offense (or defending at the top of the zone)

The problem with that logic is that Frank sucks defending the top of the zone, as well, despite being 7 or 8 inches taller than Gillon.

The problem with that logic is that Frank sucks defending the top of the zone, as well, despite being 7 or 8 inches taller than Gillon.
Disagree. Frank hasn't been good so far at the top of the 2/3 but still noticeably better than Gillon

At the top of the zone right now? Yes, he probably is. We've been spoiled by some exceptionally good defensive play from our guards in recent years. That said, Howard and Battle have the athleticism to grow as zone defenders. Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later.

At the top of the zone right now? Yes, he probably is. We've been spoiled by some exceptionally good defensive play from our guards in recent years. That said, Howard and Battle have the athleticism to grow as zone defenders. Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Like I said, scary. Howard is not a good defender, but as you said, none of our guards are right now. Battle takes pride is his defense and is a great on-ball defender in man-to-man. Maybe he hasn't mastered the zone but I haven't seen major lapses with him like I have wth the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom