My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
First, props to UNC. Their uber aggressive, deny the ball approach was a smart tactic, something we have been bothered with from the USC game onward.

They are seemingly built to destroy a 2-3 zone. Lots of good outside shooters, a number of players solid on the mid range jumper and 3 or 4 bigs that was exceptional at getting offensive rebounds.

They were well prepared and executed really well. After a strong start, it looked like their defense got a lot lazier and we ended up with a lot of open shots. Part of it was better execution by Syracuse but I think part of it was boredom by the UNC players. Glad the SU players didn't give up like they have in other games this season but I got the feeling UNC could put their foot on the accelerator and extend the lead whenever they felt like it.

TB and TL played like warriors. TB's defense has been great since ACC play started and he is a different player on offense too. It is rare when a player can raise his game to meet the level of competition, especially as a true frosh.

Thought TL did a great job trying to lead this team through great adversity. Tough kid. Really think he is playing on 1 1/2 legs right now. Remarkable how well he is doing despite that.

TR really tried too. Some people just aren't meant to be big scorers but wow, this kid has a heart of a lion. It will be missed next season.

TT doesn't like to play defense or rebound, so this was not a good game for him. If he put in half the effort on the boards or on defense as he does on offense, he would be a special player. I hope he grows up soon, because his athletic ability and talent with the ball are undeniable.

JG tries hard but is not blessed with good judgement and his lack of size really gets exposed playing big teams like the Tar Heels. Just not good at finishing with people around him. Those off balance wild tosses get old really fast. I wish he would initiate contact and try to draw fouls more in these situations, or pretty yet, look to pass out or just dribble out. It would be great if JB could take him out to try and guide him but with FH in full meltdown mode, don't think this is possible.

Thought AW got exposed too. Way too deliberate, way too reluctant to engage inside and fight for position for rebounds. The speed and size of the players in the ACC must be shocking to him. That is the only explanation I can think of. Even when the ball bounced directly to him, a hustling UNC player would ran around him and beat him to the ball.

This team is capable of beating just about any ACC team at home and I think it can get a win or two on the road. Hope so; that might mean the difference between whether or not the streak of consecutive winning seasons ends.

Very frustrating game but unfortunately, I was not surprised by the outcome. Had a chance to cut the lead to 4 with about 7:30 to play in the second and White takes an off balance trey from the corner and misses. It was all downhill after that. Very encouraged by the play of TB. His has really improved his game from earlier in the season and we are seeing a glimpse of the star he will become.

Very frustrating game but unfortunately, I was not surprised by the outcome. Had a chance to cut the lead to 4 with about 7:30 to play in the second and White takes an off balance trey from the corner and misses. It was all downhill after that. Very encouraged by the play of TB. His has really improved his game from earlier in the season and we are seeing a glimpse of the star he will become.

If you and I are thinking of the same play, it would have cut the lead to 5 and it came with just over 5 to play.

It was an uncontested 3. I thought it was a good shot. He just missed it.

I was much more disappointed with the sequence Tomcat describes where Meeks started in back of White and just flat out beat him to a loose ball on the baseline in the corner...Meeks simply wanted it more...

Thought AW got exposed too. Way too deliberate, way too reluctant to engage inside and fight for position for rebounds. The speed and size of the players in the ACC must be shocking to him. That is the only explanation I can think of. Even when the ball bounced directly to him, a hustling UNC player would ran around him and beat him to the ball.

Not to sound harsh, but I've decided that I truly don't care for AW3 as a basketball player.

There's nothing about his demeanor or body language or style of play that tells me he's interested in winning. It just feels like he's going through the motions to put on one final NBA audition.

Not to sound harsh, but I've decided that I truly don't care for AW3 as a basketball player.

There's nothing about his demeanor or body language or style of play that tells me he's interested in winning. It just feels like he's going through the motions to put on one final NBA audition.

If we had Dion Waiters and Brandon Triche in the backcourt with Rakeem Christmas as our C and were 15-3, would you feel the same way?

If we had Dion Waiters and Brandon Triche in the backcourt with Rakeem Christmas as our C and were 15-3, would you feel the same way?

I'm not sure -- I'd probably be less grumpy. AW just feels like a disengaged/disinterested player to me who rarely hustles.

I'm not sure that is a fair characterization.

Xmas got a lot of this his first three years because he was also a taciturn individual.

Just because a guy is quiet and doesn't display a lot of emotion, it doesn't mean he doesn't care...

Just because a guy is quiet and doesn't display a lot of emotion, it doesn't mean he doesn't care...

My impression of him not being invested in winning is more related to some of his shot selection and lack of hustle for loose balls and rebounds than it is his vocal demeanor.

White is basically a one dimensional catch and shoot player. But he did make 5 treys (5-9) to help keep us in the game. He is what he is...a complimentary player. Without White this team would have trouble scoring 50 points per game. So I'd much rather have him than not. The awful PG play is a much bigger problem.

That was the key play even with the Orange getting outrebounded and beaten on the break.
The score was 66-59 I think.
Seemed White had a good look...but in any case after that Lydon had a shot rim out and White missed a dunk.
That's 7 points that would have changed the complexion (but probably not the outcome) of the game.

White played too fast to start the game. He setttled
down after 10 minutes. What hurts him is we have no one to sub in for him at SF if he is struggling to start.
Sometimes watching the game for a minute will slow you down. White wasn't the problem yesterday on offense. It was the defensive rebounding. UNC played volleyball on the boards and that killed us.

We don't put bodies on the defensive glass and the more effort gets the ball a lot of the time.

My impression of him not being invested in winning is more related to some of his shot selection and lack of hustle for loose balls and rebounds than it is his vocal demeanor.

I don't want to pile on him because he has had decent production for us, but he shouldn't be leading us in shot attempts and he's just the worst passer from the SF position that we probably have ever had.

but he shouldn't be leading us in shot attempts
There is a guy on the bench that if he didn't want AWIII taking those shots, AWIII wouldn't be taking as many shots as he is.

There is a guy on the bench that if he didn't want AWIII taking those shots, AWIII wouldn't be taking as many shots as he is.

I hear ya, but when you have a guy who twice this year has scored almost 30 points not even taking 15 shots you think we would get him the ball more, but that's just my opinion.

I hear ya, but when you have a guy who twice this year has scored almost 30 points not even taking 15 shots you think we would get him the ball more, but that's just my opinion.
I'm as close to certain as I can get without having been in the huddle that JAB wants Lydon to shoot it more than he does. Any changes might require some actual offensive coaching.

I'm as close to certain as I can get without having been in the huddle that JAB wants Lydon to shoot it more than he does. Any changes might require some actual offensive coaching.

I don't think some of it is that hard. It could be as simple as "Hey guys, we have a guy shooting 51% from the field. Maybe pass to him when he's open and jumping up and down with his hands up".

I don't think some of it is that hard. It could be as simple as "Hey guys, we have a guy shooting 51% from the field. Maybe pass to him when he's open and jumping up and down with his hands up".

they tried to establish a play for Lydon that worked a couple times last year with the double pick at the top of the key. Gillon drove the wrong way one time and negated both screens and other times couldn't get a pass over his taller defender and just kept dribbling.

Last night was tough to watch.

White is a CBA player, not an NBA player.

But he can certainly help us now.
I can see him on the Albany patroons or quad city team

I have no real issue with his offensive game. He does what he was brought in to do - he shoots threes, and he shoots them well.

He can't dribble, and he doesn't seem to go out of control trying to show off that skillset, seems to pick his moments where he drives fairly well......and being able to dribble/drive is maybe the one thing that could get him drafted, as his shot is good enough.

I just can't figure out why he doesn't rebound better. That's probably a combination of desire, lack of familiarity with the zone. He had good rebounding numbers at Nebraska, where apparently he played some PF. He seems to elevate pretty well on some boards, but often he just isn't in the mix.

Outside of that Meeks play, I haven't noticed him being all that disengaged. And crap like that happens...if he didn't realize the 300 pounder was coming up from behind, it's a stupid play, not necessarily an over-the-top lazy play.

Anyway, wish he was more as we could really use another slasher, but he ain't.

good teams are deliberately attacking white's side of the zone. it's been weak all season . and the sharks smell blood.

I have no real issue with his offensive game. He does what he was brought in to do - he shoots threes, and he shoots them well.

He can't dribble, and he doesn't seem to go out of control trying to show off that skillset, seems to pick his moments where he drives fairly well...and being able to dribble/drive is maybe the one thing that could get him drafted, as his shot is good enough.

I just can't figure out why he doesn't rebound better. That's probably a combination of desire, lack of familiarity with the zone. He had good rebounding numbers at Nebraska, where apparently he played some PF. He seems to elevate pretty well on some boards, but often he just isn't in the mix.

Outside of that Meeks play, I haven't noticed him being all that disengaged. And crap like that happens...if he didn't realize the 300 pounder was coming up from behind, it's a stupid play, not necessarily an over-the-top lazy play.

Anyway, wish he was more as we could really use another slasher, but he ain't.

I don't either. I don't think he is a chucker. I think that, for the most part, he plays within the offense.

Unofrtunately, given our point guard issues, what does happen is that there will be times when the shot clock is winding down and, all of a sudden, the ball ends up in his hands and he chucks up a contested three to beat the shot clock because he cannot take anyone off the bounce.

But that doesn't just happen to White, it has happened to Lydon, Battle etc. as well.

I don't either. I don't think he is a chucker. I think that, for the most part, he plays within the offense.

Unofrtunately, given our point guard issues, what does happen is that there will be times when the shot clock is winding down and, all of a sudden, the ball ends up in his hands and he chucks up a contested three to beat the shot clock because he cannot take anyone off the bounce.

But that doesn't just happen to White, it has happened to Lydon, Battle etc. as well.

Seems like he relied on the step back quite a bit the first half of the season but isn't getting that shot much now, especially behind the three. Maybe coaches are game planning that better.

I like when he drives and pulls up. Seems to make that at a high rate, and it's very hard to defend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom