My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Gonna be kind of short today. Just a few observations….

Thought this was one of Judah’s nest games. He really tried to run the offense and get everyone involved. Made a lot of good passes. Even worked the pick and roll with Maliq. Very few turnovers. Rarely had the ball too much working ISO on multiple defenders.

His defense was really good. One of his best defensive games in college. Great to see him getting involved in getting rebounds again as well.

Bell was not good most of the game. His defense was terrible all game long, he again didn’t rebound and he wasn’t hitting his jumpers either. But again, he hit a couple of huge shots down the stretch. Might be our best pressure shooter. The kid has a lot of courage and bravado.

Q struggled on offense most of the game. Miami has to be thrilled to see him take a 3 at the buzzer. He hasn’t shot well from the outside this year, but his form always looks good. You need confidence to hit that shot and that is one thing Q has a lot of. A turning point in the game was when Pack was going off and we put Q on him. He is, IMHO, our best defender.

Brown is fun to watch play. So smart, plays so hard, always seems to be in the right place. Also had a couple big plays down the stretch.

He remains in first on the team in rebounds and is slowly pulling away there. And he is still tied with Judah for the team lead in steals, which is pretty amazing. Justin would be leading in rebounding if only defensive rebounds were counted but he only has 6 offensive rebounds all season. Which is crazy low compared to his defensive rebounding numbers. That said, Bell has only 3 offensive rebounds past the halfway point in the season. Unbelievable the team is doing pretty well given the starting forwards have 9 offensive rebounds for the entire season.

It is going to be an uphill fight to get an NCAA bid in a weakened ACC this year. They might only get 5 bids. For us to get in, we have to win just about all of these games against fellow ACC programs we are competing with for those few bids. This was a good win. We were fortunate their big was out today. The outcome probably would have been different had he been 100%.

But you have to take advantage of breaks and the team did today. Let’s keep winning and make it hard for the committee to ignore us.

Last edited:

Thought this was one of Judah’s nest games. He really tried to run the offense and get everyone involved. Made a lot of good passes. Even worked the pick and roll with Maliq. Very few turnovers. Rarely had the ball too much working ISO on multiple defenders.

His defense was really good. One of his best defensive games in college. Great to see him getting involved in getting rebounds again as well.

Bell was not good most of the game. His defense was terrible all game long, he again didn’t rebound and he wasn’t hitting his jumpers either. But again, he hit a couple of huge shots down the stretch. Might be our best pressure shooter. The kid has a lot of courage and bravado.

Q struggled on offense most of the game. Miami has to be thrilled to see him take a 3 at the buzzer. He hasn’t shot well from the outside this year, but his form always looks good. You need confidence to hit that shot and that is one thing Q has a lot of. A turning point in the game was when Pack was going off and we put Q on him. He is, IMHO, our best defender.

Brown is fun to watch play. So smart, plays so hard, always seems to be in the right place. Also had a couple big plays down the stretch.

He remains in first on the team in rebounds and is slowly pulling away there. And he is still tied with Judah for the team lead in steals, which is pretty amazing. Justin would be leading in rebounding if only defensive rebounds were counted but he only has 6 offensive rebounds all season. Which is crazy low compared to his defensive rebounding numbers. That said, Bell has only 3 offensive rebounds past the halfway point in the season. Unbelievable the team is doing pretty well given the starting forwards have 9 offensive rebounds for the entire season.

It is going to be an uphill fight to get an NCAA bid in a weakened ACC this year. They might only get 5 bids. For us to get in, we have to win just about all of these games against fellow ACC programs we are competing with for those few bids. This was a good win. We were fortunate their big was out today. The outcome probably would have been different had he been 100%.

But you have to take advantage of breaks and the team did today. Let’s keep winning and make it hard for the committee to ignore us.
I still think we need to run more and get some easy buckets. You can see Red exhorting Judah to go but he doesn’t seem to want to. JJ and Q do that though.

On Q, he is such a funny player. He was really not good for a long stretch and then started to get in the lane and make things happen…I think he forgets how big he is inside as sometimes he goes up like he’s a little guy.

I still think we need to run more and get some easy buckets. You can see Red exhorting Judah to go but he doesn’t seem to want to. JJ and Q do that though.

On Q, he is such a funny player. He was really not good for a long stretch and then started to get in the lane and make things happen…I think he forgets how big he is inside as sometimes he goes up like he’s a little guy.
I'm convinced he could tear down the rim on a few of his drives.

Miami did not have time to be thrilled Copeland was taking the shot at the buzzer! He was the open guy, received, shot, nothing but net, victory.
I need to watch a little closer but Qs mechanics seem pretty good. Not sure why he struggles to shoot so much. At first glance his arm motion and rise seems off timing wise a bit but the rotation is good and the arms seem correct etc

I need to watch a little closer but Qs mechanics seem pretty good. Not sure why he struggles to shoot so much. At first glance his arm motion and rise seems off timing wise a bit but the rotation is good and the arms seem correct etc
Q is the classic 4-year Syracuse player. Can't wait to see his continued development.

I think his form is good. He has a slow release so it's usually best when he has some time to set. I'd green light him when he's open on a catch and shoot.

Also, he's 6-14 in conference play from 3. Small sample size but with his game he should probably only average 2-3 3 pt. attempts anyway.

Good stuff. As good as Omier is and has been I honestly felt like they played better without him today than they have with recently. He’s been better scouted now and he gets his but isn’t the force he was last year when he busted out.

Good stuff. As good as Omier is and has been I honestly felt like they played better without him today than they have with recently. He’s been better scouted now and he gets his but isn’t the force he was last year when he busted out.
couldnt watch the game in real time ...watched the condensed version.

a large percentage of Miami's points seemed to be on uncontested dunks/layups...transition defense was horrific

rim protection has to be much much better, imo

missing mcleod wont hurt vs most teams...but against some like UNC will be disastrous...unless they can figure out how to get better on the boards and control the paint.

I think his form is good. He has a slow release so it's usually best when he has some time to set. I'd green light him when he's open on a catch and shoot.

Also, he's 6-14 in conference play from 3. Small sample size but with his game he should probably only average 2-3 3 pt. attempts anyway.
If he can hit 40% on catch and shoot when he's all alone, Copeland's pump fake game will make him all the more dangerous on dribble penetration. Guys will come running fast to challenge instead of moseying out there worried only about the dribble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom