My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Want to start by complimenting the SU fans who made it to the arena for the game today. "Let's Go Orange" was heard clearly many times during the game and the cheers when SU made a good play sounded as loud as when Miami did something good.

Strange game. SU played really well on offense and defense for an extended period for most of the first half, and I thought they had a chance for a long time to hold the Canes to single digits for a half. Really loved the way we moved the game on offense (great interior passing including a couple dandys from CJ) and some great work on the offensive boards. Then the offense and defense collapsed, Miami went on a run and they got right back into the game by halftime.

SU continued to sleep walk through much of the second half, the Canes played inspired ball and they actually held a lead with 6 minutes or so to go in the game. Then SU went on one of its patented great runs down the stretch to end up winning quite easily. I bet if someone were to run the numbers, the SU plus minus over the last 5 minutes of the games this year must be overwhelming in favor of Syracuse.

The story at the end of the game was similar in terms of the names too. TE made the huge 3 point play and a number of other big plays in crunch time. CJ contributed some big plays on offense and defense, including a dagger short baseline jumper. And TC hit a big 3 off a nice pass by BMK that essentially iced the game.

JG had another spectacular block/catch and yet another unbelievable follow for a dunk we should see again on SportsCenter this evening. He played really well in the 1st half but got a little wild in the 2nd half and missed a couple big drives around the 5 minute mark. Rebounded well again.

CJ, Mr Reliable, continues to punch out his typical 15 point, 7 rebound effort. In all my years watching Syracuse basketball, he is, in my opinion, without question the most consistent player we have ever had.

Loved what RC did in the 1st half. Really playing with confidence now and set some nice screens down low to allow TE and CJ to get in close for easy shots. His kryptonite is foul trouble and it limited his PT severely in the 2nd half, when he did not play well and was not a factor. What a shame; he is playing the best basketball of his career but things like this keep happening to hold his numbers down.

TC didn't get a lot of chances against UM's zone but he hurt the Canes and his presence opened up in the paint for the others on the team. Really glad to see him hit a 3 late, because he hasn't had much success doing that so far in his career.

TE had a few uncharacteristic TOs in the 1st half and missed a couple of drives late (at least one was taken because the shot clock was about to expire). Thought he passed the ball inside better than he has all year, which was great to see.

BMK took away the middle of the paint as usual. When he hits the offensive boards like he did today, he contributes on the offensive and defensive ends and really helps us. He might have been the difference between a win and a loss today.

Roberson got some playing time when SU got up big in the 1st half, very rare for a frosh not normally in the rotation to play on the road. No doubt DC2 being out had something to do with it, the big lead surely contributed as well. He didn't do much, no one gave him the ball at the high post. On the positive side, his defense looked okay. On the negative side, he made a turnover setting a bad pick and that was the end of the day for young Tyler. Hope he gets a chance to play again Wednesday.

Separated at birth: Rian Brown and Damien Rhodes?

It's like this team likes to lay low in the 2nd half, then hit the accelerator when the other team is lulled into complacency. Kinda like race car driving where a car is drafting the leader right behind, then pulls out ahead to win at the end.

understatement of the year and that's why we are 19-0 ...

the SU plus minus over the last 5 minutes of the games this year must be overwhelming in favor of Syracuse.

Kieta should never have playing time here then as he is good for 1 or 2 a game......

On the negative side, he made a turnover setting a bad pick and that was the end of the day for young Tyler. Hope he gets a chance to play again Wednesday.

I don't think Roberson's playing time today had anything to do with DC2 being out, had to do with an 18 point lead more than anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom