My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Very serious, thought they were great.

I like them and then numbers are growing on me... but on a 60 inch TV, certain numbers are very difficult to see at normal angles they would normally be visible.

This might have been discussed already in one of the hundreds of jerseys threads and I missed it. As I was watching I realized that to me the numbers are almost comic book type font - action hero looking. If that makes any sense.

Chip said:
On the uniforms, I actually liked the helmets. But agree with mostly everyone else in that I couldn't figure out the #s. Just figured I was getting old, which I am.

Yup, don't mind the helmets. They're sharp and current.

I don't mind all blue unis, but these are a step down - make that two steps - from last year's all blues.

AAM should not be featured in this offense. MacFarlane and Morris are much more explosive. He missed his chance when he came in overweight four years ago.

Xanadu said:
AAM should not be featured in this offense. MacFarlane and Morris are much more explosive. He missed his chance when he came in overweight four years ago.

I wouldn't say he was "featured".

This might have been discussed already in one of the hundreds of jerseys threads and I missed it. As I was watching I realized that to me the numbers are almost comic book type font - action hero looking. If that makes any sense.

I believe they said they were modeled after the NYC skyline.

Also count me in the group that liked the uniforms.

I'm not getting the love for AAM here. We've seen way more playmaking out of Morris and McFarlane. He's bigger. That's about it.

Right there with you. Give me George Morris and Devante McFarland all day, every day over AAM. We need play makers. AAM is not a play maker.

Right there with you. Give me George Morris and Devante McFarland all day, every day over AAM. We need play makers. AAM is not a play maker.
I don't get not playing dm. He seems like a total balla.

I tried to be open minded about the uniforms. I really did. But they are just stupid. Stupid in almost every respect. Sorry - I tried.
I think the 44 degree lines in the numbers make them tougher to read (it shades the numbers blue). But I like the blue color of the material, and love the helmet ( that's not to say I would not like orange unis better, just that this blue color works). For what it's worth, I had two different buddies, both avid college football fans of other teams, text me to say they liked the unis during/after the game when they saw the highlights. The lines in the numbers are good ideas in theory, but it needs to be a brighter color matching the color of the number, not the jersey color...

It feels like football season again with another great post of (your) "My Take". I agree with almost everything you said, especially the tubas. I'm glad we have an open week to correct the mistakes and I am hopeful we will. I was most disappointed with the guys up front on both sides of the ball and I'm still wondering why the slimmed down Wayne Williams wasn't used? Otherwise, at this point I am still optimistic. Oh, and I'm old school and still partial to the white jerseys with readable numbers and orange pants.

I think the 44 degree lines in the numbers make them tougher to read (it shades the numbers blue). But I like the blue color of the material, and love the helmet ( that's not to say I would not like orange unis better, just that this blue color works). For what it's worth, I had two different buddies, both avid college football fans of other teams, text me to say they liked the unis during/after the game when they saw the highlights. The lines in the numbers are good ideas in theory, but it needs to be a brighter color matching the color of the number, not the jersey color...

The Shading of the numbers is 2 different colors of Orange, there is no blue in the numbers. I do think that the outline of the numbers should be in Orange, not black or dark blue.

01ffd09edb658d3ecae551b74e0d0c9b_original.jpg

Last edited:
I liked the helmets. Still hate the numbers/lettering on the blue. If they insist on an all blue option, they should take a page from w.lacrosse and use white to shade the numbers/lettering, and add some orange socks.

images

I tried to be open minded about the uniforms. I really did. But they are just stupid. Stupid in almost every respect. Sorry - I tried.
I thought Nova's uniforms were WAY better than SU's uniforms - although I also liked the new SU helmets.

OrangeMojo said:
I thought Nova's uniforms were WAY better than SU's uniforms - although I also liked the new SU helmets.
Nova's unis were classy as hell. "Sharp" is what my Dad would have called them.

I'm getting really tired of watching QB's play just because they have been in the system longer than others. Other than Nassib's senior year that is what we've seen for too long. It looked like Wilson threw a nice ball but he is zero threat to run. It looked like every time he wanted to run he got to the line of scrimmage and waited to get hit, not exactly a dual threat. I hope he is not another case like Nunes where "he gets the team to the line of scrimmage well..." As other said on Friday, as bad of an announcer Al Groh was he called every play SU was going to run. GMac has got to be less predictable. Not thrilled with AAM as the goal line back. Yeah he's big but without a hole he's still going no where. At least with PTG he could kick it outside and beat a defender to the corner. With AAM in everyone knows what you're doing. Lack of containment of Robertson was inexcusable. That is an adjustment that needed to be made early but never was.

I'm getting really tired of watching QB's play just because they have been in the system longer than others. Other than Nassib's senior year that is what we've seen for too long. It looked like Wilson threw a nice ball but he is zero threat to run. It looked like every time he wanted to run he got to the line of scrimmage and waited to get hit, not exactly a dual threat. I hope he is not another case like Nunes where "he gets the team to the line of scrimmage well..." As other said on Friday, as bad of an announcer Al Groh was he called every play SU was going to run. GMac has got to be less predictable. Not thrilled with AAM as the goal line back. Yeah he's big but without a hole he's still going no where. At least with PTG he could kick it outside and beat a defender to the corner. With AAM in everyone knows what you're doing. Lack of containment of Robertson was inexcusable. That is an adjustment that needed to be made early but never was.
if you watch the QB runs, it was not a contain issue, it was a tackling issue, there were several runs where we had more than one player who had contain miss the tackle. they were in the right spots and he ran back and around them. he was too quick which is scary going forward.

impressive recap, tom.

the all blue look is ridiculous and has to go.

its not Syracuse, and if the kids dont like the Syracuse Orange, then they can go to.

1. Just the threat of Hunt running influences what opposing defenses can do. The two goal line situations were a prime example. We seemed determined to pound the ball inside, and Nova was prepared for it every time.
2. I also found Groh to be irritating as an announcer. I kept thinking that if he had such brilliant football insights he wouldn't have been fired from his job as HC at UVA. I also thought he seemed biased towards Villanova; maybe he was hoping that SU being upset by an FCS team would make his 2009 UVA team's loss to William and Mary less glaring. And yes, it was disconcerting that he was able to correctly call every play.

The Shading of the numbers is 2 different colors of Orange, there is no blue in the numbers. I do think that the outline of the numbers should be in Orange, not black or dark blue.

01ffd09edb658d3ecae551b74e0d0c9b_original.jpg
Oops, my bad. They looked very dark on tv.

It's funny how Tom's long post turned into a uniform b-fest.

I can understand people having trouble reading the numbers (was fine on my 4" tall screen), but I think the lack of a white outline is for the "intimidation" aspect. I'm guessing that's the reasoning on why we're going all blues.

Zcuse is partly right. The stripes are blue on orange, but in the white uniform version.

It's funny how Tom's long post turned into a uniform b-fest.

I can understand people having trouble reading the numbers (was fine on my 4" tall screen), but I think the lack of a white outline is for the "intimidation" aspect. I'm guessing that's the reasoning on why we're going all blues.

Zcuse is partly right. The stripes are blue on orange, but in the white uniform version.
The blue uniform looks great in person, up close. Not so much from a distance or on TV.

KaiserUEO said:
impressive recap, tom. the all blue look is ridiculous and has to go. its not Syracuse, and if the kids dont like the Syracuse Orange, then they can go to.

Hilarious. How about if fans don't like them they don't have to wear.. them... Hmmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom