National Recruiting Roundup (IL) | Syracusefan.com

National Recruiting Roundup (IL)

JHU has a ridiculous amount of 2017 recruits already. Not sure I'm all in on that philosophy. Kids peak early, just seems too young to make a full assessment and thus make any offers.

JHU has a ridiculous amount of 2017 recruits already. Not sure I'm all in on that philosophy. Kids peak early, just seems too young to make a full assessment and thus make any offers.
I guess when the number of scholarships aren't an issue like in CFB you can take everyone and figure it out later.

I guess when the number of scholarships aren't an issue like in CFB you can take everyone and figure it out later.

That's a good point. Though the number of ships are an issue since they spread 12 or 13 scholarships around, nevertheless I'd guess the majority of kids are getting little ship money. I'd assume it's mostly financial aid.

I'm against offering kids that young though. I see the talent 'peaking' even at the youth level. Kids who were by far my best players in 3rd grade, have become middle of the pack in 5th grade because they haven't progressed or the other kids have caught them in size/speed. It changes year to year as they get older and physically mature.

The frosh from Nisky we have, what if he doesn't grow another inch and his stick skills dont change? I personally would wait until they're at least juniors to start offering and getting commitments and all that.

That's a good point. Though the number of ships are an issue since they spread 12 or 13 scholarships around, nevertheless I'd guess the majority of kids are getting little ship money. I'd assume it's mostly financial aid.

I'm against offering kids that young though. I see the talent 'peaking' even at the youth level. Kids who were by far my best players in 3rd grade, have become middle of the pack in 5th grade because they haven't progressed or the other kids have caught them in size/speed. It changes year to year as they get older and physically mature.

The frosh from Nisky we have, what if he doesn't grow another inch and his stick skills dont change? I personally would wait until they're at least juniors to start offering and getting commitments and all that.

Spot on Phat... The best players in my freshman and sophomore years, were not the best players as Juniors or seniors. One kid, who was a middle of the road player till senior year and then only got small school looks, went on to be a AA at a small school. His peak was much later, which is what you ideally want!

Last year UNC was the first with a commitment from a 2017 recruit.

Now they're first on the board with a 2018 commit.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...18-commitment-heading-to-north-carolina/29625

This kid has been a HS Frosh for almost a whole week.

UNC and JHU are the reason recruiting has gotten so out of hand in Lax. These guys are recruiting middle school players for christ sake. I have zero issue with Syracuse having one commit for 2017. If they still have one a year from now I will worry then.

Voelker: Stop Early Recruiting 'Madness' (IL)

Drexel coach Brian Voelker reached out to IL to share his thoughts on the early recruiting trend. Below, is his Op-Ed on the issue. Voelker has been coach at Drexel since 2009 and led the Dragons to their first NCAA Tournament appearance last season. He has been head coach at Penn and in MLL, as well as an assistant at Princeton and Johns Hopkins. He was an All-American at Johns Hopkins and an All-World defensemen, and he has played in both MLL and the NLL. He has been a strong voice on recruiting issues within the IMCLA...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom