NBA Combine Invites go out today... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Combine Invites go out today...

Here's how I balance my rooting for the program vs rooting for the player.

I hope that all players make the right decision on when to declare for the draft, so their success is a reflection of good guidance and preparation by our staff,

I don't want kids to make foolish decisions that inhibit their career and earning power and therefore gives an appearance of bad guidance by our staff.

You may have witnessed a tone difference in JABs public comments on Malachi that is a direct result of his public comments on grant and Ennis.

This is the way everyone wins.

Mali needs another year. come back and win a natty, boost your draft stock, make more money

I spoke with Malachi at the Basket Ball last night. He said "all the right things," but his body language seemed to indicate he would love to be playing for NBA money next year. Unless he gets a strong "you're not ready yet" assessment, I suspect he is gone.

Last edited:
I spoke with Malachi at the Basket Ball last night. He said "all the right things," but his body language seemed to indicate he would love be playing for NBA money next year. Unless he gets a strong "you're not ready yet" assessment, I suspect he is gone.
Makes total sense. I hope the right decision is made.

I spoke with Malachi at the Basket Ball last night. He said "all the right things," but his body language seemed to indicate he would love be playing for NBA money next year. Unless he gets a strong "you're not ready yet" assessment, I suspect he is gone.

I don't like hearing that.

Here's how I balance my rooting for the program vs rooting for the player.

I hope that all players make the right decision on when to declare for the draft, so their success is a reflection of good guidance and preparation by our staff,

I don't want kids to make foolish decisions that inhibit their career and earning power and therefore gives an appearance of bad guidance by our staff.

You may have witnessed a tone difference in JABs public comments on Malachi that is a direct result of his public comments on grant and Ennis.

This is the way everyone wins.

With the rule change, the coach doesn't have to be the "guy who says 'no'" and whose self-interest in his assessment of your skills may be questioned.

At one point in the past, I seem to recall it used to be this way, where the guy could get workouts with teams and see where he stood, before deciding whether or not to hire an agent. That's the common sense rule, it seems to me. If Mali kills it, good for him. But if he is projected or promised a spot higher than 15th, he should probably come back, because he is going to be the alpha dog on a very good team next year, and greatly enhance his visibility and likely draft position.

I'm sure he is quite excited about the Combine and the prospect of working out for individual NBA teams. But unless he ultimately projects as a top 20ish pick or receives assurance that he will be drafted in the first round from at least one team, he would be risking a lot by entering the draft this year because he clearly could develop into a lottery pick with more seasoning (and a year playing the 2) at the college level.

With the rule change, the coach doesn't have to be the "guy who says 'no'" and whose self-interest in his assessment of your skills may be questioned.

At one point in the past, I seem to recall it used to be this way, where the guy could get workouts with teams and see where he stood, before deciding whether or not to hire an agent. That's the common sense rule, it seems to me. If Mali kills it, good for him. But if he is projected or promised a spot higher than 15th, he should probably come back, because he is going to be the alpha dog on a very good team next year, and greatly enhance his visibility and likely draft position.

How clear cut is the feedback given back to these kids? Are they given a definitive range of where they will go. Obviously no one knows for sure, but are they given a general idea.

;);););)

Kaiser subtle as always. ;)
im a teammate with broad shoulders who can handle the burden of everyones actual thinking but are too afraid to say it, Iommi.

Briancuse, was taking a little beating here, so I called my #.

Mal should come back because with him, we could be looking at our 1st back-to-back F4.

without him, that becomes more difficult.

just like his path to a long career in the NBA would be.

im not asking him to stay all the way till his degree, that ship has sailed for great players a long time ago.

I just need him to get me enough WINS, so its ok for him to go.

he hasn't done that yet.

im a teammate with broad shoulders who can handle the burden of everyones actual thinking but are too afraid to say it, Iommi.

Briancuse, was taking a little beating here, so I called my #.

Mal should come back because with him, we could be looking at our 1st back-to-back F4.

without him, that becomes more difficult.

just like his path to a long career in the NBA would be.

im not asking him to stay all the way till his degree, that ship has sailed for great players a long time ago.

I just need him to get me enough WINS, so its ok for him to go.

he hasn't done that yet.
Way I see it, he got us a Final Four. It's OK for him to go. I don't even assume there is any obligation on the player's part, but if there is, a Final Four fulfills it.

KaiserUEO he only got us maybe 3-4 wins this past season but one very big one in the Elite 8. If he comes back, we'd be one of the 5 best teams in the country.

Agreed. If he comes back--and if another domino or two topple the way I think they might, we could be a top 5 team from wire-to-wire.

Without Mali, we could still prove to be pretty good, but we'll have a lot more question marks heading into the season.

Way I see it, he got us a Final Four. It's OK for him to go. I don't even assume there is any obligation on the player's part, but if there is, a Final Four fulfills it.
A fair point, but this was more of an 'accidental' F4 as opposed to an earned one.

thus making his combine invite, accidental as well.

Come back and earn it.

Agreed. If he comes back--and if another domino or two topple the way I think they might, we could be a top 5 team from wire-to-wire.

Without Mali, we could still prove to be pretty good, but we'll have a lot more question marks heading into the season.

Without Richardson, we wouldn't have the alpha dog we need. Forget about the X's and O's, that's what it ultimately comes down to. Battle could emerge as that guy but putting that sort of expectation on a freshman is a bit of a reach.

I know he has a "different" personality than were accustomed to from our best players, but I think a vast majority of Syracuse fans underestimate Lydon for next year. He's already projected as a top 20 pick by most NBA draft sites. If he makes the necessary improvements he's going to be a lottery pick.

A fair point, but this was more of an 'accidental' F4 as opposed to an earned one.

thus making his combine invite, accidental as well.

Come back and earn it.
I follow your line of thinking, I just don't agree with it. If anything fans should value an 'accidental' F4 more. Malachi has earned plenty.

iommi said:
Without Richardson, we wouldn't have the alpha dog we need. Forget about the X's and O's, that's what it ultimately comes down to. Battle could emerge as that guy but putting that sort of expectation on a freshman is a bit of a reach.
Battle will be plenty of alpha dog. And don't sleep on Lydon. That kids an alpha too

I follow your line of thinking, I just don't agree with it. If anything fans should value an 'accidental' F4 more. Malachi has earned plenty.
it certainly was more fun.

JB has earned plenty.

IMO: he got Syracuse there.

Mal had a nice 8minutes or whatever v Virginia.

he should stay, and with a bullseye on his back...lead the Orange back to the F4, or right to the edge even...and be able to say..guys we got a F4, an E8...and im outta here.

then whatya gonna do??

hes probably top 10 or better then.

enjoy, good luck kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors