NBA Draft Tonight | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft Tonight

Just announced on twitter: Robin Lopez to Knicks. Not a bad get. Deal terms to follow.
You know, I don't want to rub salt in the wound, but I don't think it took the Zen Master to get Afflalo and Lopez.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Free agent center Robin Lopez deal with Knicks that would earn him in range of $12M-$13M per season, league sources tell Yahoo.

Not bad but Afflalo and Lopez do not make the NYK a definite playoff team.

RoLo would be a solid get.

Can we please scrap the triangle, convince Melo to play the 4 and just put shooters around him now?

Unfortunately not, because Phil Jackson is a one trick pony who sucks at X's and O's. It wasn't difficult to make that system work when he had the most elite talent in the league--twice--but as a foundational system, the triangle sucks.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... but despite the Bulls / Lakers success under Jackson, why has no other team emulated that style of play? The answer is self evident.

Unfortunately not, because Phil Jackson is a one trick pony who sucks at X's and O's. It wasn't difficult to make that system work when he had the most elite talent in the league--twice--but as a foundational system, the triangle sucks.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... but despite the Bulls / Lakers success under Jackson, why has no other team emulated that style of play? The answer is self evident.
Oh, a few have. Rambis and Cook come to mind. They just failed with it.

Oh, a few have. Rambis and Cook come to mind. They just failed with it.

Riiiight. Similar one trick ponies who couldn't coach their ways out of paper bags. Yes, they tried to implement the triangle in Minnesota, but...

Phil Jackson took the triangle from Tex Winter. Jim Cleamons was a HC in Dallas in 1990's and he failed with triangle as well. He had Jason Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, and Jim Jackson as well.

The triangle has worked with MJ/Pippen, Kobe/Shaq, Kobe/Gasol/Odom/Bynum.

You know, I don't want to rub salt in the wound, but I don't think it took the Zen Master to get Afflalo and Lopez.
The top FAs want to go to teams that are contenders now...not to an empty page with a barren roster. So this doesn't totally surprise me. Though Monroe going to a not great Milwaukee is a little unexpected. Phil will have to improve the roster and record and then be in a better position next summer for bigger fish. His 2 moves so far will improve the team and hopefully the Zinger and Jerian Grant will prove to be nice players with potential. It takes time. People who thought Jax would transform the Knicks into a contender in 1 year were not be realistic. I just hope Dolan gives him the time and doesn't blow up and force him out now.

The top FAs want to go to teams that are contenders now...not to an empty page with a barren roster. So this doesn't totally surprise me. Though Monroe going to a not great Milwaukee is a little unexpected. Phil will have to improve the roster and record and then be in a better position next summer for bigger fish. His 2 moves so far will improve the team and hopefully the Zinger and Jerian Grant will prove to be nice players with potential. It takes time. People who thought Jax would transform the Knicks into a contender in 1 year were not be realistic. I just hope Dolan gives him the time and doesn't blow up and force him out now.

They were all in with Greg Monroe. Instead, Monroe ended up in a better situation with a young, playoff caliber team in Milwaukee. A premier free agent just picked Milwaukee over NYC.

That says a LOT about the state of the Knicks franchise, leadership, and strategic direction.

At this point, Jackson doesn't look like a part of the solution to me. I don't really see that giving him more time is going to help all that much. There's not a great answer here. Hope that Melo makes some magic and Kristaps is the real deal.

Lopez and Afflalo are low key good signings IF they spend their remaining cap space wisely. Not sure if I'm just talking myself into it or what but I do think we could be a playoff team.

We were awful last year but this year add a healthy Melo, Afflalo and Lopez. I don't know what Porzingis will do but he better be able to play and give us something this year.

Another option I've heard is stretching Calderon's contract out and having the money to go after Tobias Harris.

Right now we've got..

Calderon
Afflalo
Melo
?
Lopez

G-Galloway
G-Grant
F-Porzingis
F-Early
G/F-Thanasis
G-Ledo
?
?
?

They were all in with Greg Monroe. Instead, Monroe ended up in a better situation with a young, playoff caliber team in Milwaukee. A premier free agent just picked Milwaukee over NYC.

That says a LOT about the state of the Knicks franchise, leadership, and strategic direction.
It also says a lot about how much luster and appeal NY and LA have lost as destinations. Players want money, of course, but they also want to be on winners. Also, they know with the booming popularity of the NBA nationally and globally, they're not going to vanish into a black hole if they go to Milwaukee, Cleveland or other ports.

Lopez and Afflalo are low key good signings IF they spend their remaining cap space wisely. Not sure if I'm just talking myself into it or what but I do think we could be a playoff team.

We were awful last year but this year add a healthy Melo, Afflalo and Lopez. I don't know what Porzingis will do but he better be able to play and give us something this year.

Another option I've heard is stretching Calderon's contract out and having the money to go after Tobias Harris.

Right now we've got..

Calderon
Afflalo
Melo
?
Lopez

G-Galloway
G-Grant
F-Porzingis
F-Early
G/F-Thanasis
G-Ledo
?
?
?
I admire your dedication to your favorite NBA team and your glass-half-full attitude, but that lineup is not going to strike fear in many opponents.

I admire your dedication to your favorite NBA team and your glass-half-full attitude, but that lineup is not going to strike fear in many opponents.
If we get another solid FA it could and if Porzingis is NBA ready, it could but I never said we would, just that it could be a playoff caliber roster. In the East that doesn't take much.

Right now we've got..

Calderon
Afflalo
Melo
?
Lopez

G-Galloway
G-Grant
F-Porzingis
F-Early
G/F-Thanasis
G-Ledo
?
?
?
Won't win. The Triangle has been proven to work if you have transcendent player (MJ, Kobe). Otherwise, not so good.

If we get another solid FA it could and if Porzingis is NBA ready, it could but I never said we would, just that it could be a playoff caliber roster. In the East that doesn't take much.
True, the division may not be as strong as the West in recent years, but the East is not the mid-major conference many make it out to be. Some very strong teams, including some that have gotten healthier (e.g., Toronto adding DeMarre Carroll and rookie pg Delon Wright) through free agency and the draft.

True, the division may not be as strong as the West in recent years, but the East is not the mid-major conference many make it out to be. Some very strong teams, including some that have gotten healthier (e.g., Toronto adding DeMarre Carroll and rookie pg Delon Wright) through free agency and the draft.
I think Miami and Milwaukee really improved. Toronto I can't take seriously but they probably will be good in the regular season. Cavs and Bulls will be the teams to beat again. Indiana could be a playoff team.

I think Miami and Milwaukee really improved. Toronto I can't take seriously but they probably will be good in the regular season. Cavs and Bulls will be the teams to beat again. Indiana could be a playoff team.
The Hawks and Wiz. good teams, John Wall's a stud.

The triangle is incredibly reliant on one player posting up on the strong side of the offense. In today's NBA it isn't as effective because you can now double team oor shade defenders to offensive players without the ball as long as you don't hang in the paint for 3 seconds. With 4 offensive players basically occupying one side of the floor on the initial pass it leaves little to no floor spacing . You have effectively started your offense with 4 guys on one side of the floor, something that nobody but the Knicks does in today's NBA.

The Lakers are really just as stupid. They like the Knicks don't believe in any analytics. I think Kupchak has had his day as General Manager and I've never been impressed with Byron Scott as a coach.

Like Brian Windhorst said yesterday, The Knicks and the Lakers are trying to use concepts from 2005 to attract free agents and the players know thats not going to lead to winning.

There is debate about whether or not the Knicks offered Monroe the max. I'm not sure which is worse; in this situation, Monroe is clearly a max guy, so not offering him the max is dumb. But also, if they did, well then like you said, a guy picked the Bucks over the Knicks with the money being equal.

Right now we've got..

Calderon
Afflalo
Melo
?
Lopez

G-Galloway
G-Grant
F-Porzingis
F-Early
G/F-Thanasis
G-Ledo
?
?
?

I dont think stretching Calderon gets them to Tobias? If they offered Harris like $11 million, just not sure why Orlando doesn't match that.

They probably have like $7 million plus the room exception to get 2 more players. I'd like a wing to move Melo to the 4. But they clearly need another big guy.

Knicks meeting with Cory Brewer FA SF/SG and Derrick Williams PF this afternoon per multiple sources. According to Zagoria Williams will choose between Knicks and Wizards. He was overall #2 selection in 2011 draft from Arizona. Wonder if the Knicks can afford both. Brewer was very good with Houston last season and posted an extremely high PER while averaging 11.9 pts, 3.7 rebs in 25 minutes/game. Both would be nice bench upgrades.

There is debate about whether or not the Knicks offered Monroe the max. I'm not sure which is worse; in this situation, Monroe is clearly a max guy, so not offering him the max is dumb. But also, if they did, well then like you said, a guy picked the Bucks over the Knicks with the money being equal.
Hahn saying Knicks may not have even offered Monroe at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom