NBA Playoffs | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Playoffs

Draymond GREEN not GREENE.

Sorry, pet peeve because people add an "E" on the end of my last name. Carry on.

Because when it comes to Lebron and the Cavs, I #hatehard.
Being positive in life is much healthier for the system. I've had to work hard not to hate people in my life who have done turrible things to me. Hate's destructive. But, if it makes you feel better, hate away.

This is the series everyone (outside of the fans of other contenders) wanted. It's what I predicted in the preseason-- not like I really went out on a limb there.

Lots of storylines, lots of intriguing matchups.

As fantastic as Irving is on offense, his defense is the opposite. He will have a tough time guarding Curry, or Klay, or even Livingston with his height. The trade-off being, Irving can obviously score from wherever on the court. Cavs, like OKC, played well last year when they went big. GS struggles with rebounding at times against size, as we saw in the last series. The problem with going big, again no surprise, is on defense against perimeter guys. We saw what happened with Adams on direct switches on Curry. Bad idea. Wouldn't be surprised to see Shumpert a lot in this series. When Green is the big man, I expect Love to play the five, because Thompson will end up being on the perimeter at times guarding Green (who may even be handling the ball). Love vs Green also presents interesting matchups for both parties. Love's defense is suspect, and Green has shown he likes to be aggressive. I think both of these guys could get each other into foul trouble. I only expect to see Mozgov occasionally at the end of quarters when Bogut/Ezeli/Varajeo are in.

As for guarding the overall best player on the floor, I expect Barnes/Andre/Green to be the main 3. I don't think we will see a lot of double teams on Lebron because that leaves shooters open, which has shown to be the Cavs' strength. I actually think James might guard Klay the most, similar to what he did against Derozan.

I don't see how Love and Frye can play defense in this series, and I don't see how Cleveland can play Tristan and get enough offense. Cleveland is going to want to play Frye/Tristan, Love, Lebron, JR and Irving a lot in this series as that is their best offensive lineup, but that lineup will get torched.
I'm smiling at all these posts. So are Shumpert and Dellavedova and Richie Jefferson, Ty Lue, et al.

Conversely, do people think Steph is the second coming of The Glove? Have you seen Kyrie play much? I know Steph's had ankle problems, the trainer better do some extra-heavy taping, Irving will give anyone's ankles a test.

This is the series everyone (outside of the fans of other contenders) wanted. It's what I predicted in the preseason-- not like I really went out on a limb there.

Lots of storylines, lots of intriguing matchups.

As fantastic as Irving is on offense, his defense is the opposite. He will have a tough time guarding Curry, or Klay, or even Livingston with his height. The trade-off being, Irving can obviously score from wherever on the court. Cavs, like OKC, played well last year when they went big. GS struggles with rebounding at times against size, as we saw in the last series. The problem with going big, again no surprise, is on defense against perimeter guys. We saw what happened with Adams on direct switches on Curry. Bad idea. Wouldn't be surprised to see Shumpert a lot in this series. When Green is the big man, I expect Love to play the five, because Thompson will end up being on the perimeter at times guarding Green (who may even be handling the ball). Love vs Green also presents interesting matchups for both parties. Love's defense is suspect, and Green has shown he likes to be aggressive. I think both of these guys could get each other into foul trouble. I only expect to see Mozgov occasionally at the end of quarters when Bogut/Ezeli/Varajeo are in.

As for guarding the overall best player on the floor, I expect Barnes/Andre/Green to be the main 3. I don't think we will see a lot of double teams on Lebron because that leaves shooters open, which has shown to be the Cavs' strength. I actually think James might guard Klay the most, similar to what he did against Derozan.

The thing about Kyrie, besides his D being inconsistent (and that is best-case scenario), is that he won't end up on Steph or Klay. Those guys don't really just go straight dribble drive into a crowd of bigs near the rim. They switch and get mismatches and have continuous movement opening up all sorts of lanes. I would be very worried about Love getting put into the spin cycle trying to guard Steph, for example, much more than Kyrie.

That would be weird for the Warriors to try and cover Steph, don't you think?

Would love to see some of the death lineup against Kyrie/Jr/Lebron/Frye/Love.

I'm smiling at all these posts. So are Shumpert and Dellavedova and Richie Jefferson, Ty Lue, et al.

Conversely, do people think Steph is the second coming of The Glove? Have you seen Kyrie play much? I know Steph's had ankle problems, the trainer better do some extra-heavy taping, Irving will give anyone's ankles a test.

The Cavs can go small or big. They can score just as fast as GSW. They can play slow or fast.

They can also do something crazy and put someone like Bron at the five with Shump, JR, Kyrie and Delly (just as an extreme example) and go five out. They can load up on offensive rebounding.

People still try to tell me Dellavedova shut down Curry last year

Easy scenario to envision, and that's not the LeBron/Cavs fan in me speaking.

The regular season is a succession of one-offs ... game here, 2 days off, game there, lotta teams not as challenging as others.

The season that matters most -- the one we're seeing now -- has no more one-offs, no patsies. Now, instead of one-offs, you have extended runs, culminating with a possible 7-game run against the same team, the best of the rest. No more '76ers on a Monday night in January.

At the very worst, from a Cavs fan's perspective, GS loses two. I expect the Warriors to lose at least 3, most likely 4. I'd feel a little more confident the Cavs would win in 6 (or less) if they had lucked out and gotten OKC...and home-court advantage.

But, to your initial question, yes, I envisioned from the get-go GS possibly losing as many games in the playoffs as they did in the regular season, which, the Cavs (and particularly LeBron) seem to have viewed as the 82-game "exhibition season," the Grapefruit League. The regular season has a lotta great, great moments, but it's for the elite in the league, it's about getting ready for the playoffs, staying healthy, tweaking things (for Cavs, new coach, key late-season pickup in Frye, Mozgov goes from regular to end of bench), being prepared for this: Ali-Frazier II.

Let's get ready to r-u-m-b-l-e!
I admire your courage.

Your grapefruit league comment is interesting to me.

Who would I rather root for? The team that strived to reach new heights in their profession, which many considered risky? Or the team that treated real competition as a warm up?

I admire your courage.

Your grapefruit league comment is interesting to me.

Who would I rather root for? The team that strived to reach new heights in their profession, which many considered risky? Or the team that treated real competition as a warm up?

The cavs or the spurs?

(my point is lets not act like the Cavs, and primarily Lebron, are the first team to treat the regular season as a warm up for what really matters)

I expect GS to force Lebron to shoot jumpers. I also wouldn't be surprised if they live with Lebron scoring 30 each night. The more you double, the more Lebron will find open 3 point shooters. Again, that is Cleveland's strength by far, imo.

If the Cavs win they will be like the 2000-2001 LA Lakers. They were bored in the regular season and then went 15-1 in the NBA playoffs.

The regular season is pointless for most contenders. Most teams don't try what the Warriors did this year even if they are mid 60s good. They just want home court.
Lebron James is the best player on the planet. While I like the Warriors roster more Lebron could win this series if his role players play well.

If the Cavs win they will be like the 2000-2001 LA Lakers. They were bored in the regular season and then went 15-1 in the NBA playoffs.

The regular season is pointless for most contenders. Most teams don't try what the Warriors did this year even if they are mid 60s good. They just want home court.
Lebron James is the best player on the planet. While I like the Warriors roster more Lebron could win this series if his role players play well.

He's got the team he wants. No excuses.

I know you're a big Lebron fan, and I have nothing against Lebron, unlike some other people here, but I give Cleveland about a 20 percent chance to win this series. I just don't think the personnel surrounding him defensively is capable of holding down GSW like OKC's was.

This is an entirely different animal than beating Toronto in 6 games, and this version of the Warriors is battle tested.

He already looks bad. He choked in game six. He and Russ can't figure out who the alpha is. Looking bad temporarily is way, way better than leaving and winning titles.

Bron's decision to go to the Heat was fantastic. He won back to back titles, got to four finals and then came back to Cleveland as a god. Then he signed a billion dollar lifetime deal with Nike.

Choked? Maybe. I don't see it that way. It took an all time great performance from Klay just to force a game 7, and the MVP had to do what MVP's need to do in the end to win.

The cavs or the spurs?

(my point is lets not act like the Cavs, and primarily Lebron, are the first team to treat the regular season as a warm up for what really matters)
Don't get me wrong, I take issues with what the Spurs do too.

The Cavs can go small or big. They can score just as fast as GSW. They can play slow or fast.

They can also do something crazy and put someone like Bron at the five with Shump, JR, Kyrie and Delly (just as an extreme example) and go five out. They can load up on offensive rebounding.
Spot on. And Frye, while no Bill Russell, is better on d than I thought he'd be.

I know you're a big Lebron fan, and I have nothing against Lebron, unlike some other people here, but I give Cleveland about a 20 percent chance to win this series. I just don't think the personnel surrounding him defensively is capable of holding down GSW like OKC's was.

This is an entirely different animal than beating Toronto in 6 games, and this version of the Warriors is battle tested.
Totally understand, bro. My opinion of LeBron as a player and a leader aside, the Cavs with Lue in charge, Frye in the mix, a much-better chemistry on and off the court is one powerful force.

And, btw, I have a lotta personal issues with Ohio from my 10 years there and Chief Wahoo is the foulest, most-racist symbol in sports, I'd much rather align with our neighbors in Toronto or the people in the fabulous Bay Area. I'm torn pulling for Ohio anything, but I enjoy, and admire, hoops played well, and the Cavs are no Eastern Conference patsy. Cavs in six.

Totally understand, bro. My opinion of LeBron as a player and a leader aside, the Cavs with Lue in charge, Frye in the mix, a much-better chemistry on and off the court is one powerful force.

And, btw, I have a lotta personal issues with Ohio from my 10 years there and Chief Wahoo is the foulest, most-racist symbol in sports, I'd much rather align with our neighbors in Toronto or the people in the fabulous Bay Area. I'm torn pulling for Ohio anything, but I enjoy, and admire, hoops played well, and the Cavs are no Eastern Conference patsy. Cavs in six.

Funny you bring up Chief Wahoo... Have you seen the shirt Bomani wore on ESPN a month or so ago? If you haven't, take a look. I bought it and lets just say I'm white...

Choked? Maybe. I don't see it that way. It took an all time great performance from Klay just to force a game 7, and the MVP had to do what MVP's need to do in the end to win.

KD is an MVP. Klay is the second best shooter in all of the NBA and a top five shooter of all time. That was an all-time performance, but it was done by an all-time great shooter.

OKC was up 7 with 5 to play, I believe. They stopped passing the ball, turned it over and didn't run any sets.

Game 7 was a tough one. On the road with GSW with all the confidence in the world, but they had game six.

GSW are an amazing team. There is no argument there. But OKC had them and KD is supposed to be the guy to close out the game. He didn't do it. He shrunk from the moment. Maybe it's one bad game. Maybe it's part of his growing into a finisher. I don't know, but it wasn't a good look for KD.

Spot on. And Frye, while no Bill Russell, is better on d than I thought he'd be.

He's functional and that's all you can ask for from him. Plus what he gives you is very important against GSW. Hopefully the non-LeBron players show up on the road in game 1. I know LeBron will and I know JR will, just need the other guys to get ready for the stage.

Don't get me wrong, I take issues with what the Spurs do too.

Totally fair. And for the record I respect the hell out of the Warriors for going for 73. I'd like to think I'd do the same.

And just because I was looking this up before; in 98, the season before Jordan's second retirement, he played all 82 games and averaged 38.8 minutes per game. At the age of 34. The Bulls weren't really going for history; they won 62 games and won the east by 4 games. In the final game of the season, with everything clinched, he started and played 40 minutes against the Knicks. Just crazy how much things have changed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom