NBA Scout: "I'm hearing Malachi will be a top 10 pick." | Syracusefan.com

NBA Scout: "I'm hearing Malachi will be a top 10 pick."

He played out of position for us at SF.
I didn't think he was efficient for us but he can get to the rim and can shoot.

It is obvious the kid is going solidly first round.

He has the prototype NBA SG measurables.

I wonder if teams see another Klay Thompson like player... I don't think Mali is nearly the same player as Klay but when Klay got into the league he wasn't Klay either. Mali has a sweet stroke, is bigger and physical. I think he has the tools to be a pretty good 2 guard in the league.

I wonder if teams see another Klay Thompson like player... I don't think Mali is nearly the same player as Klay but when Klay got into the league he wasn't Klay either. Mali has a sweet stroke, is bigger and physical. I think he has the tools to be a pretty good 2 guard in the league.

Mali's shot mechanics are good enough to project to being a consistent shooter.

Klay's defense will be hard to replicate, but if he can become a functional on ball defender, watch out. He's got the skills for it.

Klay was a better shooter.

Mali's shot mechanics are good enough to project to being a consistent shooter.

Klay's defense will be hard to replicate, but if he can become a functional on ball defender, watch out. He's got the skills for it.
I actually don't think Klay's D is that great... it's great in the context of what Golden State does but he's by no means a lockdown D guy. Great article on Klay on ESPN today... Klay Thompson dares you to underestimate him

The biggest concern I have about Mali is he doesn't seem to be the most explosive athlete out there so I do wonder how easily he can create his own shot against NBA defenders. He did pretty well against Brogdon so that was a good sign.

This absolutely is not personal, but I'm absolutely rooting for Malachi to go in the Top 10 because of what it will do to you, and kindly ask you to please record it because I've always wondered what it would look like to see a man's head explode.

I am rooting for that to happen too, and this will surprise you, but my head will not explode, I don't hate the kid like you apparently think I do. It would be great for Syracuse if it happened, but until I see it, I don't see him as a top ten, or a lottery pick.

I am rooting for that to happen too, and this will surprise you, but my head will not explode, I don't hate the kid like you apparently think I do. It would be great for Syracuse if it happened, but until I see it, I don't see him as a top ten, or a lottery pick.
I don't think you hate him, I just find it funny that you doubt any positive projection that's come up for him.

I don't think you hate him, I just find it funny that you doubt any positive projection that's come up for him.

I hope he goes in the top five, I just find it odd that all of the sudden, because of a few workouts he is all the sudden a top ten pick, most mock drafts still have him in the 20's and 30's.

you can be the 10th best player in the draft and still not drafted top 10. but how often does the 40th best get drafted top 10? does it come down to how many teams need a SG that probably does not help you that much next year? but if you look at nba.com which has 12 mock drafts he isnt top 14 in any one of them. so if he is going top 10 someone is really hiding it so that only this scout has the scoop, but one team may really like him as a reach and thats all it takes.

Bradley Beal played one year at Florida where he played the 3 and went 3rd in the 2012 draft. The 2012 draft was considered a stronger draft than this years draft. Malachi is taller, longer and jumps almost as high. Top 10 may be in play.

Bradley Beal
PHYSICALS POSITIONS RANKINGS SALARY MISC
H:
6' 5"
W: 202 lbs
Bday: 06/28/1993
(22 Years Old)

Predraft Measurements
Year Source Height w/o Shoes Height w/shoes Weight Wingspan Standing Reach Body Fat No Step Vert Max Vert
2012 NBA Draft Combine 6' 3.25" 6' 4.75" 202 6' 8" 8' 4" 6.0 33.0 39.0

Malachi Richardson
PHYSICALS POSITIONS RANKINGS MISC
H:
6' 6"
W: 200 lbs
Bday: 01/05/1996
(20 Years Old)

Predraft Measurements
Year Source Height w/o Shoes Height w/shoes Weight Wingspan Standing Reach Body Fat No Step Vert Max Vert
2016 NBA Draft Combine 6' 4.75" 6' 6.25" 200 7' 0" 8' 5.5" 7.0 33.0 38.0

Bradley Beal played one year at Florida where he played the 3 and went 3rd in the 2012 draft. The 2012 draft was considered a stronger draft than this years draft. Malachi is taller, longer and jumps almost as high. Top 10 may be in play.

Bradley Beal
PHYSICALS POSITIONS RANKINGS SALARY MISC
H:
6' 5"
W: 202 lbs
Bday: 06/28/1993
(22 Years Old)

Predraft Measurements
2012 NBA Draft Combine 6' 3.25" 6' 4.75" 202 6' 8" 8' 4" 6.0 33.0 39.0

Malachi Richardson
PHYSICALS POSITIONS RANKINGS MISC
H:
6' 6"
W: 200 lbs
Bday: 01/05/1996
(20 Years Old)

Predraft Measurements
2016 NBA Draft Combine 6' 4.75" 6' 6.25" 200 7' 0" 8' 5.5" 7.0 33.0 38.0

I loved Beal - thought he would be better in the NBA than he is, although he's shown flashes, and injuries have really hampered his development a bit thus far. I mean, I have no idea what Mali is doing in these workouts, but Beal looked far better as a Frosh to me than Mali did this year.

I thought he looked more explosive, and had a better stroke from deep (although he didn't shoot percentage wise very well) - he was also being counted on for offense a lot more, if I recall correctly, and probably had a lot more focus on him defensively (although that's off memory, so it could be wildly inaccurate!)

I am perfectly okay with Mali leaving by the way, not at all in the "Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, what did he do to his life and Syracuse University," camp. :)

Richardson shot better from 3pt but Beal shot better from 2pt and the the line.

beal.PNG
richardson.PNG

Great clips there, thanks. Cooney sighting! Malachi hit 8/9 on one clip and just as good in another. The kid will thrive so let's all accept and enjoy it. Best of luck, Mali, TC and G money.
Yeah, but let's see Mali do it in real games against NBA players, make regular All-Star game appearances, lead his team to a few NBA titles, wind up in Springfield and become an agent for social change.

Our coaches are telling GM's that exact comparison when they are calling inquiring about Malchi.

I actually don't think Klay's D is that great... it's great in the context of what Golden State does but he's by no means a lockdown D guy. Great article on Klay on ESPN today... Klay Thompson dares you to underestimate him

The biggest concern I have about Mali is he doesn't seem to be the most explosive athlete out there so I do wonder how easily he can create his own shot against NBA defenders. He did pretty well against Brogdon so that was a good sign.

Neither is Thompson re: being an explosive athlete. But, they could view him as a similar player like you mentioned above. I think he does have this quiet drive and killer instinct that GMs and coaches really love.

I loved Beal - thought he would be better in the NBA than he is, although he's shown flashes, and injuries have really hampered his development a bit thus far. I mean, I have no idea what Mali is doing in these workouts, but Beal looked far better as a Frosh to me than Mali did this year.

I thought he looked more explosive, and had a better stroke from deep (although he didn't shoot percentage wise very well) - he was also being counted on for offense a lot more, if I recall correctly, and probably had a lot more focus on him defensively (although that's off memory, so it could be wildly inaccurate!)

I am perfectly okay with Mali leaving by the way, not at all in the "Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, what did he do to his life and Syracuse University," camp. :)

Agreed re: Beal as a frosh. Beal was a better shooter and more of an explosive athlete, imo. He would throw down a nasty dunk once in awhile. Beal still has done some pretty good things so far. I'd probably still take Beal over a guy like Waiters but it's close.

Agreed re: Beal as a frosh. Beal was a better shooter and more of an explosive athlete, imo. He would throw down a nasty dunk once in awhile. Beal still has done some pretty good things so far. I'd probably still take Beal over a guy like Waiters but it's close.

not per the numbers...