NCAA Boogeyman | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Boogeyman

I am concerned about the NCAA investigation but I learned a long time ago that you sh0uldn't worry too much about something before you understand what is going on.

This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head. Luckily I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep my mind, you know, limber. Jeffrey Lebowski

Fortunately, there has never been a time more ripe to take them on and challenge their hypocrisy.

Let someone else be the test case. I'll cheer them on. The last thing you want is for our program to have to endure what it would probably take in order to vindicate the position.

Let someone else be the test case. I'll cheer them on. The last thing you want is for our program to have to endure what it would probably take in order to vindicate the position.

Agreed, but this isn't hypothetical. We're in the hot seat, like it or not.

Last edited:
This whole thing sucks, but I just can't get too worked up about it for now. I've used up all my angst through the past few years of allegations, accusations, suspensions, disqualifications, etc. I'm in a wait-and-see mode. I fully expect a post season ban and a loss of scholarships because "you know how the NCAA do." My hope if that it can be strung out with appeals long enough for the NCAA to be disbanded.

Really what is going to stink is having to vacate the 2013 Final Four, which I also expect.

Depends on if the NCAA wants to hammer a P5 school right now being in the position they are with the predicted split over the last couple years. If they don't, we're fine. If they do, then...

The NCAA reminds me of the federal government which has grown in central power far beyond anything the founders would have wanted, and of course has abused the power as is almost always the case. I wouldn't be totally adverse to experimenting with something new, and being the one doing the banning of the NCAA, regardless if it had challenges in the beginning stages. I also enjoy the word "ban" for some reason and am grateful this thread allowed me the opportunity to use it.

I think its hard to know for sure what we're up against until the hearing later this week.

But as for blame, I think its a little from column A, a little from column B.

I love JB, as a life long Syracuse fan. But the guy runs the loosest ship out there--always has, always will. So he certainly deserves some "blame" for having some of the alleged things that are being investigated occur on his watch. I know that it is impossible to expect a major college program to be 100% above board [too unpredictable with college athletes doing dumb stuff all the time], but Boeheim's laissez faire approach let's more of this chicanery go on than should be tolerated. With a net result of--for better or worse, we now have a bunch of stuff for the NCAA to scrutinize.

But the NCAA's enforcement arm is a joke, as is the way they've handled several recent debacles with member institutions like Penn State, Miami, UNC, and Auburn. Their situational enforcement of the rules calls into question their impartiality, let alone the legitimacy of any penalties they might try to impose / enforce. It's tough to take a regulatory agency seriously when they are all over the board in terms of how they enforce the rules, especially when they show blatant favoritism / situational enforcement for some member institutions but not others. And in true keystone cops fashion, even their handling of this investigation with SU--given the multitude of press leaks, the timing of reports surfacing in the media, etc.--has been a fiasco.

The whole thing is a cluster. I'm just hoping that despite the NCAA dredging up old stuff, that none of it is a major violation. We'll see. My belief is that they are hoping that by stacking a bunch of minor violations together, the preponderance of a bunch of minor infractions will support their case for "lack of institutional control," which would be a big deal.

But like you, I've had my fill of that antiquated institution, that exists for no other purpose than to fulfill their own largess and siphon money off of member institutions who actually generate revenue. It would be a different thing entirely if the rules made sense, and if the NCAA actively enforced the rules with standards applied consistently across the board. But they don't, so instead they've become an irrelevant bureaucracy that makes no compunction about cowtowing to powerful constituencies, making a grand spectacle out of excessively punishing minor infractions when the opportunity for low hanging fruit presents a convenient scapegoat, and for being out of touch for what's best for the modern student-athlete. Mark Emmert's tenure over the NCAA has been nothing short of an unmitigated disaster in just about every conceivable way.

I look forward to the P5 splitting from the NCAA in the near future. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

BRAVO! BRAVO! Well said. Quite articulate and lucid. Hope it helps iommi a little.

Iommi, what I would like to say in response to your post is that I don't want to give the investigation any energy. First, it doesn't help me. Second, it doesn't change anything. I believe that we have the ability to re-direct our thoughts and channel them towards something more beneficial. I have been a Worrier of the first order and have, over the decades, learned what a sink hole it is. I also believe that thought exists on a real vibratory level and has incredible creative as well as destructive power.

I know that expressing one's worries can be a solace and that this board can be and has been a lifesaver for many of us fans whose friends and family just don't "get it." I hope you don't think I don't get it - because I do! - but I am just sharing how I get through my days. :) Go SU!

I think there will be sanctions and they will be more severe than any of us would like to see. And the NCAA will do it because they can...

I don't get your line about Kentucky: are you saying that they are the poster child for cheating (obviously they are) and they are using a school like Syracuse as a scapegoat?

It's a reference to the old Jerry Tarkanian sarcastic observation about the NCAA.[/QUOTE]
I think Tarkanian is the one who once said: the NCAA is so angry with Kentucky that they're going to give Cleveland State an extra couple years of probation.

I think there will be sanctions and they will be more severe than any of us would like to see. And the NCAA will do it because they can...
IMO the NCAA would just love to hammer a P5 program at this time just to show that they still have control over the P5. Bad timing.

I'm generally pessimistic, so I'm expecting something along the lines of:

Vacating 2013 Final 4
Loss of scholarship/s (which could cost us Bryant and someone we covet in the class of 2016)

A tournament ban in 2016 would probably scare away a few top recruits (possibly Moyer, etc.)

It's a good thing our coach doesn't have to oversee a roster of 85 players.

I'm generally pessimistic, so I'm expecting something along the lines of:

Vacating 2013 Final 4
Loss of scholarship/s (which could cost us Bryant and someone we covet in the class of 2016)

A tournament ban in 2016 would probably scare away a few top recruits (possibly Moyer, etc.)

It's a good thing our coach doesn't have to oversee a roster of 85 players.

They won't touch the Final Four, but I can see vacating Fab Melo played games...11 years is too far, even for the NCAA

CuseHulk said:
Yeah I think we figured, since you declared and harped on Chris McCullough based on two games you saw him play in person.

I'm waiting for McCullough to prove me wrong.

Bayside44 said:
They won't touch the Final Four, but I can see vacating Fab Melo played games...11 years is too far, even for the NCAA

The most recent Final 4.

I'm waiting for McCullough to prove me wrong.

He hasn't played a game yet (2 games you saw in person, and you think your R.C. Buford), and LOL prove you wrong.

CuseHulk said:
He hasn't played a game yet (2 games you saw in person, and you think your R.C. Buford), and LOL prove you wrong.

We all saw him play in an all-star game last spring, and he was a non factor, fouling out, I seem to recall.

But he's one and done, I know.

I'm in a wait and see mode.

I'm not rooting against him

Just have some concerns.

I don't get why people think the top dogs are untouchable. This is 6 or 7 years old, but seems to support the argument that cheating is pretty universal.

SECcheatinghall030908.jpg

I don't get why people think the top dogs are untouchable. This is 6 or 7 years old, but seems to support the argument that cheating is pretty universal.

SECcheatinghall030908.jpg
Who is Texas Pan-American and how the heck did they get in there?

PoppyHart said:

I don't think the top dogs are untouchable, but that chart is historical and dated. Today's world the P5 has been threatening to break away. That could influence how the ncaa treats P5 teams.

My take - I intensely dislike the NCAA's uneven enforcement policies, but the bottom line is that everybody knows the rules as nonsensical as some of them are.

There are probably very few if any top programs that really & truly would have no violations over any given five year period.

I could be wrong, but I think there are certain schools that pro-actively try to circumvent the rules or or knowingly cheat and take their chances on getting caught.

I think there are other programs that are just plain lax in their institutional controls and may be guilty of sticking their head's in the sand at times. I see us to a certain extent in this category.

As posters above have said there is no way to know the outcome until the hearing.

All I can say is that I am appalled by the leniency shown to Pedofile State, and after that everybody else should just be subject to slap on the wrist types of punishments.

My take - I intensely dislike the NCAA's uneven enforcement policies, but the bottom line is that everybody knows the rules as nonsensical as some of them are.

There are probably very few if any top programs that really & truly would have no violations over any given five year period.

I could be wrong, but I think there are certain schools that pro-actively try to circumvent the rules or or knowingly cheat and take their chances on getting caught.

I think there are other programs that are just plain lax in their institutional controls and may be guilty of sticking their head's in the sand at times. I see us to a certain extent in this category.

As posters above have said there is no way to know the outcome until the hearing.

All I can say is that I am appalled by the leniency shown to Pedofile State, and after that everybody else should just be subject to slap on the wrist types of punishments.

Very good post. I agree completely.

AH - ok, I can see vacating some wins, but those guys seemed a bit cleaner than the bunch the NCAA is going after

The reason I think the 2013 FF is gonzo is Southerland. It will be interesting to see if they vacate enough wins to take JB below 900 again.

The reason I think the 2013 FF is gonzo is Southerland. It will be interesting to see if they vacate enough wins to take JB below 900 again.

Didn't the NCAA have to authorize the return of both Melo and Southerland? I can see them saying that there was some impropriety, but ultimately wasn't the final decision theirs?

I'm not saying you're wrong, BTW, just asking the question.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom