NCAA Boogeyman | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Boogeyman

Man...you guys that are giving away FFs and wins are way ahead of the curve. We haven't even had the hearing or defined with certainty what the charges are, and you are ready to find us guilty as you believe we may be charged and take the most severe punishment the NCAA offers for that level of infraction. I'll wait and let the process unfold.

All I can say is that I am appalled by the leniency shown to Pedofile State, and after that everybody else should just be subject to slap on the wrist types of punishments.
This is exactly where I am at with this...I want to be concerned due to what happened in '93, but stepping outside the vacuum, recent precedent shows us not to be concerned at all. How is Penn St. any worse for the wear? The probation is gone, and they have one of the best young coaches out there.

Also, those concerned about the NCAA wanting to flex its muscle? I guess they could, but I look at it as they are not in the position to strong-arm anyone; do they really want to piss off constituents who have threatened to leave? All the more reason to tell them to take a hike...

Syracuse has to do one thing avoid a post season ban at all costs. Lose scholarships, vacate wins whatever no one cares, but a post season ban can and will hurt this program. Whatever cache JB or Syracuse may have at or inside the NCAA now is the time to use it.

Syracuse has to do one thing avoid a post season ban at all costs. Lose scholarships, vacate wins whatever no one cares, but a post season ban can and will hurt this program. Whatever cache JB or Syracuse may have at or inside the NCAA now is the time to use it.

Connecticut won the National Championship following a post-season ban. Just saying.

It hurt Uconn so bad they won a national title the next year. Post season ban won't happen anyway. Nothing will happen.

It hurt Uconn so bad they won a national title the next year. Post season ban won't happen anyway. Nothing will happen.

What makes you think "nothing will happen?" The NCAA is not in a position of power because of the P5 autonomy and potential split?

Its a bunch of Mickey Mouse crap.

I don't disagree but my concerns are with the Level 1 and Level 2 violations, which point to a lack of institutional control. Those are the worst violations possible.

Last edited:

Not saying a post season ban is definite in fact I would bet against it. That being said whenver it comes to Syracuse and the NCAA usually (or pretty much every time) Syracuse gets screwed over big time. As others have pointed out the timing of this isnt great either with the PSU and Miami fiascos the NCAA is likely looking to drop the hammer on someone.

Connecticut won the National Championship following a post-season ban. Just saying.

They also had a Sr pt guard who played out of his mind and had role players who played the best stretch of games in their lives. I wouldn't hold my breath on a repeat of that.

Are they hypocrites? Yes.
Is the organization a joke? Yes.
Have they botched case after case and generally revealed a startling level of incompetence? Yes.
Might they now have something to prove- just to retain some semblance of relevancy at this crucial time? Yes.
Have we given them enough fodder to justify a harsher than usual "making a point" punishment? Maybe...I'd even say, probably.
Are we in trouble and looking at a very bad outcome? My gut...and MHO says; Yes.:noidea:

Man...you guys that are giving away FFs and wins are way ahead of the curve. We haven't even had the hearing or defined with certainty what the charges are, and you are ready to find us guilty as you believe we may be charged and take the most severe punishment the NCAA offers for that level of infraction. I'll wait and let the process unfold.

You don't think they already know what they are being hit with?

I don't disagree but my concerns are with the Level 1 and Level 2 violations, which point to a lack of institutional control. Those are the worst violations possible.
Level 1 violations are definitely bad, but we don't know for sure Syracuse is going to be hit with any. The Syracuse.com article states that "...when investigations neccesitate hearings, they involve at least one Level I OR Level II violation." (emphasis mine)

If you look at the Oklahoma State Vindicated article someone posted here earlier, there is this :
“Oklahoma State fully cooperated with the NCAA Enforcement Staff and participated in the interviews. As a result of the information collected during these joint interviews, the NCAA will issue a notice of allegations detailing three possible Level II violations.”

A Level II violation formerly was known as a secondary violation. Those alleged OSU violations are related to the execution of OSU’s drug-test policy, a failure to provide correct oversight of the Orange Pride operation, and – specific to the drug-testing and Orange Pride operation – an overall failure to monitor. During a hearing expected to occur early in 2015 at NCAA offices in Indianapolis, OSU will respond to the allegations. The results of that hearing may be known within four to six weeks after it happens, and could lead to fairly minor sanctions – such as the loss of a handful of scholarships over a period of several years – or no sanctions at all, along with closure for Oklahoma State.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports e xtra/osu/sports-illustrated-allegations-fundamentally-unfounded-osu-and-ncaa-say/article_da1945c6-9c39-5d60-bfe9-e5145279fc93.htm

I am neither an insider nor an NCAA compliance officer, but two things stick out to me that lead me to believe Syracuse will OK. One is that some of the OSU violations are (unfortunately) similar to the ones the NCAA has been investigating at SU. Two is that most of what we have heard from the school at this point is "...we are working closely and cooperatively with the NCAA as part of an inquiry"

Level 1 violations are definitely bad, but we don't know for sure Syracuse is going to be hit with any. The Syracuse.com article states that "...when investigations neccesitate hearings, they involve at least one Level I OR Level II violation." (emphasis mine)

If you look at the Oklahoma State Vindicated article someone posted here earlier, there is this :

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports e xtra/osu/sports-illustrated-allegations-fundamentally-unfounded-osu-and-ncaa-say/article_da1945c6-9c39-5d60-bfe9-e5145279fc93.htm

I am neither an insider nor an NCAA compliance officer, but two things stick out to me that lead me to believe Syracuse will OK. One is that some of the OSU violations are (unfortunately) similar to the ones the NCAA has been investigating at SU. Two is that most of what we have heard from the school at this point is "...we are working closely and cooperatively with the NCAA as part of an inquiry"

I don't see how they are similar? Oklahoma St literally had boosters paying football players for jobs they didn't have to show up for. We never were handing out money. That's a huge difference. Oklahoma St is far worse then we are, but they will get off with a slap on the wrists.

Penn St. didnt even get the Death Penalty.

If it's losses of scholarships for 2 years and vacated wins then it would be leaked to the media already. Theoretically speaking of course.

How would penalties leaked before they are given? I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all...the hearing is at the end of the month and then we learn our fate weeks later, as I understand it. I guess you mean that it would leak if the NCAA is leaning towards loss of schollies and post-season ban pre-hearing...but still.

Last edited:
How would penalties be peaked before they are given? I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all...the hearing is at the end of the month and then we learn our fate weeks later, as I understand it. I guess you mean that the if the NCAA has determined that they will tell us at the hearing what you outlined above...but still.
That's the point, I don't think they are.

I don't see how they are similar? Oklahoma St literally had boosters paying football players for jobs they didn't have to show up for. We never were handing out money. That's a huge difference. Oklahoma St is far worse then we are, but they will get off with a slap on the wrists.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. OSU was essentially cleared of the major allegations you detailed above. I was referring to the remaining allegations which the article states are level II infractions. these include: violations related to the schools drug testing policy, failure to provide correct oversight to the drug testing program, and an overall failure to monitor. In addition they are facing similar allegations relating to the "Orange Pride Operation".

It seems to me that these are very similar to what Syracuse is facing. Reading that article, and in particular the section I quoted, leads me to see parallels between what is going to happen to OSU and what SU may be facing. I guess the big question comes down to what if any academic improprieties did su commit and have they done enough on their own to clean up the mess?

You don't think they already know what they are being hit with?

No, I don't think SU knows what the penalties will be. If they did it would kind of make the hearing irrelevant. I don't think people here know what the infractions that are the basis for the hearing are. Lots of guesses some probably better than others, but I haven't seen SU or JB acknowledge what they will be and the Post Standard hasn't said anything definitive.

Obviously SU knows what the infractions they are charged with are, they couldn't prepare for the hearing if they did not.

No, I don't think SU knows what the penalties will be. If they did it would kind of make the hearing irrelevant. I don't think people here know what the infractions that are the basis for the hearing are. Lots of guesses some probably better than others, but I haven't seen SU or JB acknowledge what they will be and the Post Standard hasn't said anything definitive.

Obviously SU knows what the infractions they are charged with are, they couldn't prepare for the hearing if they did not.

Isn't the hearing basically an appeal? It's not labeled such, but they get to plead their case since we disagree with a charge. I'm not exactly sure how it works after that, but they know what the penalties are. It's a joke that the Lloyd Carr, and Bobby Cremins are the 2 people hearing our side. Didn't Cremins get caught cheating at GT?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom