NCAA: Let them eat | Syracusefan.com

NCAA: Let them eat

Does this mean they can have cream cheese on their bagels now? :p

Napier took a lot of heat over last month for his comments, but wow, it ended up being addressed. I'm shocked the NCAA did the right thing.

So, what exactly does "student-athletes can receive unlimited meals and snacks in conjunction with their athletics participation" mean? Do they get cash for unlimited access to snack machines? Is it a stipend to go out and eat what/when they want? Do the dining halls have to stay open 24/7, but for student-athletes only? This seems to me to be a 'let's get everyone off our backs for awhile' type of rule. Simple to say, but difficult to actually put into practice.

is Grimaldi's still in business? This does not say were the kids can or cannot get their unlimited meals from.

Prior to this change, scholarship student-athletes received three meals a day or a food stipend

Napier took a lot of heat over last month for his comments, but wow, it ended up being addressed. I'm shocked the NCAA did the right thing.

100's of tweet from college athletes thanking him today.

Fact is this was started months ago but maybe Napier got it higher priority?

I wonder how the homeless feel or the single parent feels who has to work various jobs to make ends meet.

Reactions: cto
It means that schools can provide food beyond the meals, not money. I wonder if a school could get a sponsorship from a restaurant chain to cover this expense?

This actually benefits the non-revenue sports because now schools can provide them with training table, should they choose. Not as many of those athlete-students are getting full rides

If the NCAA would just allow schools to pay for student athlete's tattoo's, the kids would be able to afford enough food to not go hungry.

And when they have something of value to exchange with the schools I'm sure an arrangement will be made.

I'll never forget when Craig Forth used his SU dining dollars to pay for dozen of kids' meals at the end of a semester. Unless these kids only eat at random hours, I don't see how they could "go hungry" at schools like UConn.

As a former scholarship athlete in college, we never went hungry. Our scholarships covered food at the cafeteria and during the season we had a Football only training table that had way better food than the rest of the students. While I can appreciate what Napier was trying to do (and apparently did accomplish), I never felt like I wasn't being fed enough. So it sounds to me like he is complaining about having to eat the food that the school provides rather than being able to eat at a restaurant, etc. good for him, I guess, but things have certainly changed since the late '90's when I was in school. I never heard anyone complain about it back then, and I was at a much smaller program than a UCONN.

Football is the only sport at SU that has a regular training table. Other athletes get dining hall meals or Supercard $. They shouldn't be going hungry with either, but I think Napier's point was more about having $ in his pocket instead.

Football is the only sport at SU that has a regular training table. Other athletes get dining hall meals or Supercard $. They shouldn't be going hungry with either, but I think Napier's point was more about having $ in his pocket instead.

I may have missed it...did anyone post the address where we can send donations to the Feed Shabazz Fund?
And has anyone notified Sally Struthers?

When I was at SU in '93, the football players ate at Shaw with folks from the Red House and scruffy Eddy Vedder imitators like me.

I just can't believe anyone hasn't gotten more out of Napier at this point. If he only had an option to go to the dining halls and practice occurred anytime near then, I could see his point (slightly - and when ignoring the tats issue). But without any more info it's really hard to believe his story. Apparently he will be on the radio on the worldwide leader on Friday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom