NCAA Responds to UNC | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Responds to UNC

Roy
200.gif

I'm confused. I thought the NOA basically absolved men's hoops of responsibility here?
That's how the Tar Hole fanboys interpreted it. The original NOA spoke about actions of the men's basketball coaches. The fanboys are trying to dump everything on the women's team and throw Coach Sylvia Hatchel under the bus, but it's becoming plainer that the NCAA won't let them. They also try to claim it's an academic-side problem and not athletic-side, when the academic-side was inventing these "courses" to keep athletes eligible. It's kind like someone who's murdered his parents saying he shouldn't be punished because he's an orphan.

That's how the Tar Hole fanboys interpreted it. The original NOA spoke about actions of the men's basketball coaches. The fanboys are trying to dump everything on the women's team and throw Coach Sylvia Hatchel under the bus, but it's becoming plainer that the NCAA won't let them. They also try to claim it's an academic-side problem and not athletic-side, when the academic-side was inventing these "courses" to keep athletes eligible. It's kind like someone who's murdered his parents saying he shouldn't be punished because he's an orphan.

That's the thing that never made any sense to me--I completely agree with the NCAA suggesting that it isn't in their "wheelhouse" to review collegiate courses to ascertain validity of the classes.

But then the NCAA drops the ball running away from having to investigate UNC as fast as they can, when it is clear that for nearly two decades these dummy courses were used to artificially inflate the GPAs of hundreds of athletes across dozens of sports, which then turns this into an eligibility issue... which should be SQUARELY in the NCAA's "wheelhouse."

That they intentionally turn a blind eye to that aspect of the investigation reveals yet again what a sham of an enforcement organization the NCAA is. Not to mention how selective, arbitrary, and capricious they are when it comes to choosing who to investigate and meting out penalties.

Wow, 'killer' analogy!

BTW, thanks for not spelling fanboy "fanboi", which always makes my eyeballs hurt.

But didn't the NCAA amend the NOA to basically exclude hoops?

UNC tried to pin it all on women's hoops. This is the NCAA telling UNC to effort off at the amended allegations.
That's confusing. I thought the NCAA controlled the amended NOA

That's confusing. I thought the NCAA controlled the amended NOA
Same here.

Also, Coach Jim Boeheim has been suspended for another nine games.
I could have sworn that the second NOA that came out was the response to the second report filed by UNC-CHeat which listed additional violations they discovered. I don't think it was a rescission of the fist NOA; it was an addendum.

I could have sworn that the second NOA that came out was the response to the second report filed by UNC-CHeat which listed additional violations they discovered. I don't think it was a rescission of the fist NOA; it was an addendum.
You may be right but this board did not react as if that were the case. Neither did the national media IIRC.

Tar Hole...LOL!