Class of 2017 - ND Transfer DB Mykelti Williams (IN) Not Admitted to Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 ND Transfer DB Mykelti Williams (IN) Not Admitted to Syracuse

Mykelti Williams departs Irish football program

INSIDE THE IRISHIrish
mykelti-williams.jpg

Photo property of Irish Illustrated / Matt Cashore
Mykelti Williams departs Irish football program
5 Comments
By Keith ArnoldMar 23, 2016, 1:25 PM EDT

Sophomore safety Mykelti Williams is no longer a part of the Notre Dame football program. Brian Kelly announced the news on Wednesday, though wasn’t able to give any more details.

The Indianapolis native preserved a year of eligibility last season, sitting out his freshman season after coming to Notre Dame as a four-star prospect out of Warren Central, the same program that brought the Irish Sheldon Day. Williams was expected to compete for a spot in a safety position that’s still up in the air.

That won’t happen, with the only clues on Williams’ next move coming from social media, where a slew of college coaches have found their way into his sphere. Williams is certainly a transfer candidate who’ll likely land on his feet, with three seasons of eligibility remaining assuming he’ll have to sit out 2016. He picked Notre Dame relatively late in the recruiting process, choosing the Irish over offers from mostly Big Ten programs like Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin.

Until reinforcements coming this summer, the depth chart will feature seniors Max Redfield and Avery Sebastian, junior Drue Tranquill, sophomore Nicco Fertitta and early-enrollee freshmen Spencer Perry and Devin Studstill. It’s been Studstill who has made waves so far through just five practices, with Kelly revealing that the Florida native is sharing reps with the first team in place of Redfield.

For the doomsday crowd, it’s worth pointing out that transfers—especially this time of year—happen. As Irish Illustrated’s Tim O’Malley has pointed out, Notre Dame has now had a transfer every season since 1980 (and potentially longer), a 36-year trend that rolls on with Williams.

Last edited:
RS his FR year at ND. Was thought to be challenging for the 2-Deep at one on the Safety spots the following Spring. Transferred for 2016.

Should be a 3-for-3 guy if I'm not mistaken?

This could be a nice pickup.

Agreed. We need some experience on the D side of the ball, kids that can impact the 2 deep immediately. He seems to fit that mold.

Anytime you have the opportunity to get a potential 3 year starter at position that has been somewhat shaky - that's a big win.

Is the staff still recruiting him? I haven't seen anything in the last two month that shows they are.

Is the staff still recruiting him? I haven't seen anything in the last two month that shows they are.
All I can tell you is that he supposedly set up an official visit back in November and Monroe and Ward are still following him on twitter.

All I can tell you is that he supposedly set up an official visit back in November and Monroe and Ward are still following him on twitter.
Saw a ranking of JUCO's and he was one spot behind Ryan Guthrie. Thought that was interesting.

Devin Butler took his spot.

I really doubt they would turn down a CB with experience at this point.

They play 2 different positions too. Butler is a corner. Williams is a safety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom