Need some advise from the tailgaters | Syracusefan.com

Need some advise from the tailgaters

stumpy78

Walk On
Picked up some Hoffman Snappy Grillers last week at Publix here in Florida. Never seen them before and have heard tons from you guys during tailgate season. Need some advise on how best to cook them: steam, boil or grill? Also what are the key ingredients to put on top. Looking for the finer points comeing out the gate for my first experience with Hoffman's. All opinions are welcome.

The place that made them famous...Heids...they actually fry them. I do that or grill them myself.

Picked up some Hoffman Snappy Grillers last week at Publix here in Florida. Never seen them before and have heard tons from you guys during tailgate season. Need some advise on how best to cook them: steam, boil or grill? Also what are the key ingredients to put on top. Looking for the finer points comeing out the gate for my first experience with Hoffman's. All opinions are welcome.
I believe Heids (which supposedly has a different recipe for the actual franks and coneys) fries on a griddle coated with peanut oil. Grilling works just fine though. It used to be that at Heids you could not get any topping but mustard and would certainly get a dirty look if you asked for ketchup which could be found nowhere on the premises back then. When I grill, I go for a good spicy mustard and occasionally add a pickle or relish.

First off: If you can get New England Style Hot Dog Rolls...get some.

split-top-lobster-roll-example.jpg

You can pan fry them in oil...but the easiest way is to grill them on your grill. If you have a propane grill it is pretty quick and easy. The key thing is grill evenly and allow the natural casing to char (burn) and crack. They don't plump up like other hot dogs. They don't have a bunch of garbage and water in them to plump up like cheap ball park franks.

My preference: A Brown Spicy Mustard is the only condiment I put on them and sauerkraut as an option.

The biggest downside of Hofmann's are: You need to eat them fairly quickly after cooking for best flavor and presentation.

I'm not a fan of boiling them...and microwaving is only if you are experiencing severe hunger pains during a TV timeout while watching SU. Nuke on high for about 40 seconds until you hear the skin crack n pop.

I don't eat cheap hot dogs--life is too short.

I appreciate the help. I'll be firing up the grill, laying out the spicey mustard, chopped onions and saurkraut. We don't see New England style rolls down here. Went with the potato rolls instead. Thanks again.

Chili sauce with no beans is good, i.e. a red hot. The chili sauce isn't watery though. I make one that's just a roux with some finely ground beef cooked up with some chili spices. It's not as good as Heid's but it'll do.

I appreciate the help. I'll be firing up the grill, laying out the spicey mustard, chopped onions and saurkraut. We don't see New England style rolls down here. Went with the potato rolls instead. Thanks again.

They should have these hot dog rolls at Publix down there. They are New England style (it doesn't say it on the package, but they are) with a hint of sweetness, which I find compliments both the franks and coneys (snappys).

0007343500305_500X500.jpg

On the King's Hawaiian, my daughter knew about them and was specificly targeting them. None were available in the store we were in. The Hoffmans were at the store in north DeLand, but never have been in the New Smyrna Beach store, where I regularly shop.

stumpy78 said:

Let us know what you think.

On the King's Hawaiian, my daughter knew about them and was specificly targeting them. None were available in the store we were in. The Hoffmans were at the store in north DeLand, but never have been in the New Smyrna Beach store, where I regularly shop.

I suggest you talk to the manager about getting them stocked in New Smyrna Beach. Worst case he should be able to get you a box of 12 one pound packages. Publix stocks them pretty much chain wide. You can freeze them for a year no problem and they retain their flavor.

BTW, I called a Publix near Nashville and the meat manager said he could special order either the Snappy Grillers or German Franks if a Publix store doesn't carry them.

I believe Heids (which supposedly has a different recipe for the actual franks and coneys) fries on a griddle coated with peanut oil. Grilling works just fine though. It used to be that at Heids you could not get any topping but mustard and would certainly get a dirty look if you asked for ketchup which could be found nowhere on the premises back then. When I grill, I go for a good spicy mustard and occasionally add a pickle or relish.

Peanut oil yes different receipe no.

I knew the owner and a very good friend of mine who I use to hunt with(passed away) was a butcher there along with his wife.

We ate the Hoffmans tonight with sauerkraut, chopped onions and spicy mustard. Very nice grilled. Really appreciate all the help. I will be looking to stock the dogs and King's Hawaiian rolls on a regular basis.

Grill them as Mark said, let the casings split and enjoy.

Typically all you need is spicy mustard. I do enjoy some onions on them though.

My favorite however is adding some homemade Michigan sauce (just like Texas hot sauce). It doesn't get any better - if you want the recipe let me know.

Peanut oil yes different receipe no.
When Heids stopped using Hofmann's for a while, whose recipe did the company that made them for Heids use?

wow...we are going back a long time. I think they use to get them from a maker from western N.Y.

I was just in Buffalo last week and Ted's hotdogs are all over the place. Maybe it was them?

anyways that lawsuit was less about the receipe and more about the publics access to buy them directly from Hoffmans. Heids was pissed because they felt they should have got a discounted price over the lowest wholesale price Hoffman's offered.

The boycott didn't really last all the long as I believe Heids was buying from a third party for many years.

I really don't know if they still sell directly to the public or not, but I also kind of remember Halbritter is involved now.

Rusty Flook who use to own Hoffman's was a really nice guy whenever you showed up. He was always looking after his customers for the best price available.

wow...we are going back a long time. I think they use to get them from a maker from western N.Y.

I was just in Buffalo last week and Ted's hotdogs are all over the place. Maybe it was them?

anyways that lawsuit was less about the receipe and more about the publics access to buy them directly from Hoffmans. Heids was pissed because they felt they should have got a discounted price over the lowest wholesale price Hoffman's offered.

The boycott didn't really last all the long as I believe Heids was buying from a third party for many years.

I really don't know if they still sell directly to the public or not, but I also kind of remember Halbritter is involved now.

Rusty Flook who use to own Hoffman's was a really nice guy whenever you showed up. He was always looking after his customers for the best price available.
Teds does not make hot dogs. They buy them from Sahlens. I am not sure what lawsuit you are talking about or why there was some issue about "access to buy them directly from Hoffmans." Buy what? Hofmanns have sold hot dogs for decades. . When Heids decided their recipe was more important than who made the hot dogs, they found a new less expensive manufacturer. It was not a wise business move and I think they regretted having a company other than Hofmanns use the Heid's recipe to make the hot dogs. After than, Hofmanns decided to open their own places to sell their hot dogs.

I just said Heids had their own recipe. They do.

Teds does not make hot dogs. They buy them from Sahlens. I am not sure what lawsuit you are talking about or why there was some issue about "access to buy them directly from Hoffmans." Buy what? Hofmanns have sold hot dogs for decades. . When Heids decided their recipe was more important than who made the hot dogs, they found a new less expensive manufacturer. It was not a wise business move and I think they regretted having a company other than Hofmanns use the Heid's recipe to make the hot dogs. After than, Hofmanns decided to open their own places to sell their hot dogs.

I just said Heids had their own recipe. They do.
No you are incorrect Heids always sold Hoffmans German hot dogs and coneys until they had a dispute with Hoffmans over pricing. They then had a manufacturer in western NY formulate recipes for Heids, which they sold at Heids for a number of years. That recipe bombed in the market(was not accepted as a good product). A new owner took over Heids after the original owners went belly up, and the new owner went back to selling Hoffman franks and coneys.

No you are incorrect Heids always sold Hoffmans German hot dogs and coneys until they had a dispute with Hoffmans over pricing. They then had a manufacturer in western NY formulate recipes for Heids, which they sold at Heids for a number of years. That recipe bombed in the market(was not accepted as a good product). A new owner took over Heids after the original owners went belly up, and the new owner went back to selling Hoffman franks and coneys.

Heids wanted to open up franchises throughout NY and New England, and they wanted the recipe from Hoffman to provide to their other suppliers. Hoffman refused to give up their secret recipe.

So ... Heids started purchasing dogs and coneys from Pilgrim, and Hoffman opened up their own chain of Hoffman Hot Hauses to compete with Heids.

In the end, the franchising deal fell flat, nobody liked Pilgrim, and Heids and Hoffman reconciled.

Thank you as I was not going into a pissing match when the owner in his own words told me what is what. Hoffman's was inches away from signing with Disney,but Disney and under their terms would have caused Hoffman to take a loss on every Dog sold.

The dispute was more over pricing and public access to wholesale prices over receipe, main reason why lost their lawsuit.

They were not honest in their motives on why they filed, public would have ripped them one if Heid's came out and said that was their reason.

Last edited:
Thank you as I was not going into a pissing match when the owner in his own words told me what is what. Hoffman's was inches away from signing with Disney,but Disney and under their terms would have caused Hoffman to take a loss on every Dog sold.

The dispute was more over pricing and public access to wholesale prices over receipe, main reason why lost their lawsuit.

They were not honest in their motives on why they filed, public would have ripped them one if Heid's came out and said that was their reason.
And Budweiser does not use rice in its beer, right?

And Budweiser does not use rice in its beer, right?

oh!!!...I forgot your one of those bud brewmasters who never stepped a foot inside that plant while I worked in there off and on for years and never seen rice go into their bud beer.

Next you will be telling me how they make powdered milk in that plant in Auburn where I am currently at.

oh!!!...I forgot your one of those bud brewmasters who never stepped a foot inside that plant while I worked in there off and on for years and never seen rice go into their bud beer.

Next you will be telling me how they make powdered milk in that plant in Auburn where I am currently at.

Is that where you were when Steph Miner called you about the stadium?

Heids wanted to open up franchises throughout NY and New England, and they wanted the recipe from Hoffman to provide to their other suppliers. Hoffman refused to give up their secret recipe.

So ... Heids started purchasing dogs and coneys from Pilgrim, and Hoffman opened up their own chain of Hoffman Hot Hauses to compete with Heids.

In the end, the franchising deal fell flat, nobody liked Pilgrim, and Heids and Hoffman reconciled.

Hoffmans never reconciled with the original owners , who were the descendants of the original Heid. Hoffman started supplying Heids again after a change in ownership of the Heids name occurred.
The original descendants did in fact open several stores in the northeast, but their recipe for franks and coneys were total failures.