New 2016 Commit! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New 2016 Commit!

Imagine if he mentioned going to Duke and that they were recruiting him. Rivals would have moved him into the top 15 site unscene.
Speaking of which, anyone else see a little Jabari in MM? Don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but he puts the ball on the floor, scores in different ways, etc. Not sure about the rebounding yet, but I see similarities.

Speaking of which, anyone else see a little Jabari in MM? Don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but he puts the ball on the floor, scores in different ways, etc. Not sure about the rebounding yet, but I see similarities.
I see that also ... explosive leaper ... unafraid to dunk or defend at the rim. Long reach, decent handle for a 6'8 kid growing into his body, and versatile enough to hit from outside. The only thing is ... has he stopped growing? He doesn't report for 2 years!

Great news, but this is one where it is easy to picture his mind changing. He is from Columbus, right? Two years of being right there with mom and dad as alums before he signs an LOI is a long time. Hopefully JB gets him outta there and into someplace like Oak Hill or IMG Academy or something.

I'd like to see this too. Gahanna is this hick suburb WAY out from Columbus. He could use some better competition to get him ready for ACC.

Is he a legit 6'8? Is he in socks in the pic with MCW? Or is it one of those things where he's 6'6.5 and call him 6'8 "in shoes"

Is he a legit 6'8? Is he in socks in the pic with MCW? Or is it one of those things where he's 6'6.5 and call him 6'8 "in shoes"
Probably some of the latter, but Francis mentioned this somewhere. I think (especially when they are younger) some of this is a projection. He's probably not yet 6'8, but a legit 6'6. Freshmen year, they give them a few more inches. Soph, little less and so forth. These two years, definitely more of an estimation. So while I think some might believe he shoots up to 6'10 given the current "listed" height (you never know), 6'8 is probably accurate for a kid who has 2-3 more years to grow.

Eventhough he attended OSU games and his parents are both OSU grads and he lived close to campus, his favorite team was Michigan. Michigan did not offer. OSU only offered after Florida offered. Either school could have trumped us but today was our day. He is on a trajectory that could end at 5 stars.

Free article from Sc*ut on his commitment too -
http://syracuse.At their request, t...ite./story/1431904-moyer-picks-syracuse?s=185

Wow, welcome aboard Matthew !!!!

Terrific length and athleticism. Great handle for his size. Unselfish. Both clever and explosive around the rim. He needs to work on his outside game - looks like he has more of a push shot than a legit J at this point in time. If he can improve his J enough he will have Top 25 potential by the time he is done.

This will be a weird comparo, but he kinda reminds of a front court version of Howard.

Great job by the staff, great sounding kid. I am already looking forward to seeing him wear Orange.

Very nice addition to the program.

Several points:

He had 25 offers but committed 2 days after SU came through.
Perhaps an indication that he was just waiting for the offer and the opportunity to see the campus.

Should be no problem with grades. He wants to be a cardiologist.

Don't know how many cardiologists SU turns out. But wonder how often Hal Cohen's name came up in recruiting. He's a radiologist but that may be as close as SU basketball can get.

Reminds me of the Lydon commitment. A long lean rapidly rising forward who just came onto our radar screen & boom, next thing you know he is ours.

Tyler moved up from just inside the Top 100 to inside the Top 60 in one season. Moyer is in the same position, will be interesting to see what happens with him.

You have to love it when kids call it early after a visit because they know they found there school. There is a maturity in that. Kind of a "hey recruiting was great but I know where I want to play and now its time to get back to work" aspect to it.

Another thing that sticks out to me is MCW being there. It seems all our past players are happy to help out and cone back when they can. I think a big part of that is JB's honesty with them. MCW, Dion and plenty others had their early issues with JB but he told them how it was and it only helped them and SU in the end.

You have to love it when kids call it early after a visit because they know they found there school. There is a maturity in that. Kind of a "hey recruiting was great but I know where I want to play and now its time to get back to work" aspect to it.

Another thing that sticks out to me is MCW being there. It seems all our past players are happy to help out and cone back when they can. I think a big part of that is JB's honesty with them. MCW, Dion and plenty others had their early issues with JB but he told them how it was and it only helped them and SU in the end.
First of all, you really are on point lately.
Second, big time, about the first part. No drama, no shower me with coddling like some of these other recent guys that strung us along only to end up at St. Copius of SomewhereOrAnotha or East Mechanicsburg Technical Downstate College, etc.

Lastly, about MCW and Dion. Yeah definitely. JB earns their respect over time, but part of it is his upfront demeanor. Sometimes, younger kids don't take that well to it. Hurts. But it seems to me that in many instances, they learn to be able to look at themselves, see some of what coach is saying and use it. Have to like JB for that. Seems like he is fairly transparent in his thoughts and the players learn to appreciate that over time. I'll give a perfect for instance. Happened with Dion. Then he got his time to shine. MCW. Check. Roberson? You betcha. He'll get it.

Just my opinion I am tacking on to your post, but give me a straight shooter any day of the week.

I'm excited, but committing after a visit so soon is like the opposite of maturity.

I'm excited, but committing after a visit so soon is like the opposite of maturity.

Not if you've made other visits and know what you want. Matthew sounds very mature to me and he knows SU is the place for him. He's being mature by ending his recruitment so everyone knows and then moving forward in his life without that distraction and decision hanging over him.

I see he did visit ohio state...I was under the impression we were his only visit so far.

I don't know anything about him besides the fact that he's from Gahanna and wants to be a doctor. And apparently he can ball. If he wants to play here, great. We have an awesome track record of finding guys before they blow up. It sounds like Moyers going to be next.

For someone going into junior year of high school, this is a pretty impressive young man.

Wow - what a diverse, very impressive person. I think it's safe to say that Matthew won't be causing us an APR issues regardless if he develops to be good enough to eventually go pro early. Sounds like mom and dad have raised a young man that takes care of his obligations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom