New ad placements are not for me | Syracusefan.com

New ad placements are not for me

skurey

Living Legend
Within the past couple days the board has gotten two new ad placements. One that comes down and covers a quarter of the screen that you need to click an arrow to hide it for a bit. Another full screen ad that comes up sometimes when you click either a topic or a new forum that you have to close in order to go to the next page.

I am not a fan of these types of ads and I would think many would agree. Ads shouldn't cover actual content or make it harder to view.

I created a yankee forum about 13 years ago. I also had ads on it but had complaints from users. I understand 100% that funds need to be generated for operation and respect that. What I did do was create an exact skin without the ads and allowed members who donated to the site to have an option on their profile to be able to use the ad free skin. I had happy users and a nice spike in income for the site.

Need to see a screen capture. Google has changed their policy on ad placement, and their is not much I can do until I know what they are doing.

For now, change to the pub style.

I created a yankee forum about 13 years ago. I also had ads on it but had complaints from users. I understand 100% that funds need to be generated for operation and respect that. What I did do was create an exact skin without the ads and allowed members who donated to the site to have an option on their profile to be able to use the ad free skin. I had happy users and a nice spike in income for the site.

I do plan to do that soon, but it's not gonna help much.

Screenshot_20191106-184100_Chrome.jpg

That new add that comes down from the top that you outlined above is beyond annoying. It comes down whenever you go to a new page and it covers the home button and your notice bell. I pray Tom can work something out with that one.

As I said previously, use the "Pub Only" style.

As I said previously, use the "Pub Only" style.

Thanks, I did switch yesterday when I saw your post. Is there any real big difference between the two styles?

i'm confused by the SAXX pop up. what's a ball park pouch ?

Thanks, I did switch yesterday when I saw your post. Is there any real big difference between the two styles?

Different ad vendors. If one is causing problems, switch to the other.

I’m loathe to complain, because I really value this site and appreciate the time and money it costs to run it. However, with all due respect, the current ad experience is awful. The interstitials that appear mid-thread, and the take over mobile web ads, are horrible. I would love to contribute money, as an annual subscription fee, to have an ad free experience. I doubt I’m alone.

Is there something new with ads? I have this ribbon type of add on top that sometimes goes fullscreen when i click on a link. Its not user friendly. Anyway to disable it?

Is there something new with ads? I have this ribbon type of add on top that sometimes goes fullscreen when i click on a link. Its not user friendly. Anyway to disable it?
Check the suggestion in this thread.