Class of 2017 - John Ecker (NY:Wayne), A/M Flipped to Cortland | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 John Ecker (NY:Wayne), A/M Flipped to Cortland

WoodyUK

Lax Maven
image.jpg
From Instagram

He is number 5 for Sweetlax and is on the videos on YouTube for sweetlax 2017.

2016 All-Greater Rochester Boys Lacrosse

Jonathan Ecker, Wayne

As a junior, he scored 62 goals and had 23 assists (85 points), including seven goals and nine assists in a sectional quarterfinal, for the Eagles (16-2). All-Section V first team and Finger Lakes league's Attackman of the Year committed to play at Syracuse University.

2016 All-Greater Rochester Boys Lacrosse

Jonathan Ecker, Wayne

As a junior, he scored 62 goals and had 23 assists (85 points), including seven goals and nine assists in a sectional quarterfinal, for the Eagles (16-2). All-Section V first team and Finger Lakes league's Attackman of the Year committed to play at Syracuse University.

Big time under the radar kid, barring injury I am expecting a monster 100pt + season from him. Offense over the next three recruiting classes is ridiculously stacked.

When you decommit from a top Div 1 program to a non Div 1 school its pretty clear the Div 1 team pulled the offer. Surprising as i thought Ecker was a good under the radar player. Numbers game unfortunately

When you decommit from a top Div 1 program to a non Div 1 school its pretty clear the Div 1 team pulled the offer. Surprising as i thought Ecker was a good under the radar player. Numbers game unfortunately
Yeah no offense to the kid or anything but I've heard from multiple people that have played against him that they were SHOCKED he was coming to Syracuse. Not a scholarship player here from what I've heard. Now we just have to hope he doesn't beat up on my Ithaca Bombers!

He would be a fool not to go to Cortland as the girl to guy ratio is very,very high.

You never know... the offer may not have been pulled, the kid could simply not feel like putting the time or effort into the d1 level. Either way, better for the program.

I know the dream is to play high major D1 but I'm honestly surprised more kids don't go this route.

Purely speaking from the lax angle I'd advise to go where you have the best chance to win championships and play all 4 years.

I know the dream is to play high major D1 but I'm honestly surprised more kids don't go this route.

Purely speaking from the lax angle I'd advise to go where you have the best chance to win championships and play all 4 years.
He aint winning championships there :rolling: Go Bombers!!

When you say offer do you mean money or guaranteed spot on roster? Tough to imagine a kid like this getting money when they have less than three scholarships per class. And I know it's 12.6, but they redshirt almost everyone, so that means there are normally five classes of kids around each season. Oh well, hope he enjoys cortland st. I highly recommend M&D delifor a sandwich.

When you say offer do you mean money or guaranteed spot on roster? Tough to imagine a kid like this getting money when they have less than three scholarships per class. And I know it's 12.6, but they redshirt almost everyone, so that means there are normally five classes of kids around each season. Oh well, hope he enjoys cortland st. I highly recommend M&D delifor a sandwich.

I am assuming a guaranteed roster spot. Keep in mind that there are very few kids getting full rides for lax, most are on partial perhaps a quarter some of the upper level guys are getting half etc. Also keep in mind the Bomberry's are on full rides under the H. Promise for Native American students which frees them up from being under the 12.6 scholarship rule.

Yeah no offense to the kid or anything but I've heard from multiple people that have played against him that they were SHOCKED he was coming to Syracuse. Not a scholarship player here from what I've heard. Now we just have to hope he doesn't beat up on my Ithaca Bombers!
Just curious, did your sources happen to share an opinion of our other '17 Wayne commit Bryce Saba?

Just curious, did your sources happen to share an opinion of our other '17 Wayne commit Bryce Saba?
Yeah, he said that he was very solid. I believe he is a defensemen correct? If so then yes he had good things to say about him.

And he is a GREAT player! The Div 1 team did not pull the offer. When a 15 year old boy who has played lacrosse since he was 9 gets a call from a team that he always dreamed to play on and then gives him the ultimatum of either say yes immediately or they will find another player, what is a boy to do?? He doesn't think about financial burden in 9 years to come! He only thinks about playing with the team that he loves most! The possibility of being red shirted his first year is a reality, which means that he would play for 5 years...probably only playing 2 of those years and coming out of there with, YES, a great education and a great experience , but over $100,000 in debt. REALLY?!?!?! The people who have made positive comments on this ALL-STAR player are informed. The people who have made negative comments are ignorant!

Last edited:
And he is a GREAT player! The Div 1 team did not pull the offer. When a 15 year old boy who has played lacrosse since he was 9 gets a call from a team that he always dreamed to play on and then gives him the ultimatum of either say yes immediately or they will find another player, what is a boy to do?? He doesn't think about financial burden in 9 years to come! He only thinks about playing with the team that he loves most! The possibility of being red shirted his first year is a reality, which means that he would play for 5 years...probably only playing 2 of those years and coming out of there with, YES, a great education and a great experience , but over $100,000 in debt. REALLY?!?!?! The people who have made positive comments on this ALL-STAR player are informed. The people who have made negative comments are ignorant!
Well said. The scholarship situation in lacrosse is very tough. 12.5 ships for a roster of 50+. Having gone to Syracuse myself, and having played a sport as a walkon, I can attest to the debt one has when they graduate. If a school was gonna give me money to play somewhere else, I would have had a hard time saying no. Wish young Mr. Ecker well. I hope despite playing at Cortland, he remains a SU fan.

I certainly wish Mr. Ecker all the success in the world. I would have liked to have seen him at SU but financial considerations are obviously a major issue when you talking about Lax and the limited amount of scholarship money. Who knows perhaps he will find himself transferring to a Div 1 school someday.

I hate that the verbals in lacrosse are happening so early. The NCAA needs to step in and stop this practice. No 14 or 15 year old is in a position to make informed decisions. It is hard enough to do when you are 17 or 18...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom