Class of 2018 - New Commit: Matt Magnan (NY: Fox Lane), Mid Signed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 New Commit: Matt Magnan (NY: Fox Lane), Mid Signed

Griffin Gelinas RT'd this

Really out-hustled the pole on the first goal.

On the second goal he does a roll dodge, yet the defender wasn't overcommitted. Rather, he had a beat on the D and was basically past him. Works anyway. So well, he does it again inside-to-out. Completely outclassed his man.

Prime Time defeated NH Tomahawks 11-6 to win the 2018 division at Session II of the Inside Lacrosse Recruiting Invitational.

Initially jumping out to a lead, Prime Time then weathered a first-half comeback from the Tomahawks and went into halftime leading 4-3. The third quarter proved to be crucial for Prime Time, which went on a 5-1 run in the period that the Tomahawks could not recover from.

The win culminated a dominant run for the PrimeTime 2018 players, who went 7-0 in the tournament and outscored their opponents 76-21.

Prime Time was paced by the play of Griffin Gelinas, Matt Magnan, and Shahe Katchedurian - all Syracuse commits. Gelinas and Magnan both scored four goals while Katchadurian made nine saves in the first half. Matthew Baugher, Alston Tarry, and Thomas Marra also scored a goal each. Gelinas was named the game's most valuable player, and finished the tournament tied for most goals with 16.

46169.jpg

IL Recruiting Invitational, Session II: Prime Time Wins 2018 Division

RECRUITING RUNDOWN’S TOP 50 SOPHOMORES AND CLASS OF 2018 WATCHLIST

2. Matt Magnan, M, Fox Lane (N.Y.)
Commitment: Syracuse
Club affiliations: Prime Time
College coaches say: “He’s so dynamic, gets to the rack with almost a deceiving kind of burst and has an elite shot on the run… Magnan’s just one of those guys we all watched in the fall and said ‘Holy Jesus’ and you knew right off the bat he’s not gonna get any worse.”
Ty’s Take: Standing 6’3 or so, Magnan could probably pass for an ACC midfielder right now – several college coaches diagnosed his game as ‘college-ready’ at this early stage. The dynamic lefty has an absolute cannon from the outside but has developed his shot with his off-hand so much that he was essentially able to score at will wherever he went this summer. Using his big frame, he gets to the cage in a variety of ways and fought off even the most talented longstick middies. Most impressively, he’s seemingly complete, pitching in as a force for Prime Time between the lines and on defense. After committing to Syracuse in October, Magnan registered 55 points for Fox Lane’s varsity squad this spring
stud recruit.

Was just reading his Write-up in Xander's 2018 rankings. Was unaware of this accolade. It's actually pretty insane if you think about it.

Top 100 Juniors – Class of 2018

2. Matt Magnan, M, Fox Lane (N.Y.) | Prime Time | Syracuse | No. 2
Magnan became the first sophomore to pick up All-American honors since 1999
, netting an impressive 62 goals for the Foxes. Uber-confident and physically imposing, the lefty has excellent range on his outside shot and already looks the part of an ACC midfielder whether it’s a step-down or on the run. As he continues to develop his right hand and other aspects of his game, there’s no doubt that Magnan will remain towards the top of the list.

I can't sleep & just had to look this up...how the heck was Lyle Thompson not an AA his Soph year in 2009? He put up 114 pts (60G & 54A), his highest point total in HS, including 7 pts (5G & 2A) in that epic state title game against Manhasset. I watch the TWCS broadcasts of the Section 3/State tourneys (& even the weekly regular season games they'd do back then) religiously & Lyle was without question the best overall player in Section 3 from his Soph. year on. For comparison, Miles was an AA as a junior that year with an absurd 158 pts (99/59). John Greeley was also an AA as a Senior for Lafayette, & IL's #1 recruit, with 72 pts. Other AAs from Section 3 that year:

New York-Central
Cathers, James — Midfield (Syracuse, NY/Corcoran, NY) — (junior)
Greeley, John — Midfield (Nedrow, NY/Lafayette, NY) — Johns Hopkins
Guy, Zac — Midfield (Tully, NY/Tully, NY) — Georgetown
Mahle, Steve — Goalie (Camillus, NY/West Genesee, NY) — Massachusetts
Poppleton, Mike — Midfield (Manlius, NY/Fayetteville-Manlius, NY) — Johns Hopkins
Taylor, Matt — Attack (Manlius, NY/Fayetteville-Manlius, NY) — Cornell
Thompson, Miles — Attack (Nedrow, NY/Lafayette, NY) — (junior)
Ward, Billy — Attack (Baldwinsville, NY/Baldwinsville, NY) — (junior)

Last edited:
Was just reading his Write-up in Xander's 2018 rankings. Was unaware of this accolade. It's actually pretty insane if you think about it.

, netting an impressive 62 goals for the Foxes. Uber-confident and physically imposing, the lefty has excellent range on his outside shot and already looks the part of an ACC midfielder whether it’s a step-down or on the run. As he continues to develop his right hand and other aspects of his game, there’s no doubt that Magnan will remain towards the top of the list.

I can't sleep & just had to look this up...how the heck was Lyle Thompson not an AA his Soph year in 2009? He put up 114 pts (60G & 54A), his highest point total in HS, including 7 pts (5G & 2A) in that epic state title game against Manhasset. I watch the TWCS broadcasts of the Section 3/State tourneys (& even the weekly regular season games they'd do back then) religiously & Lyle was without question the best overall player in Section 3 from his Soph. year on. For comparison, Miles was an AA as a junior that year with an absurd 158 pts (99/59). John Greeley was also an AA as a Senior for Lafayette, & IL's #1 recruit, with 72 pts. Other AAs from Section 3 that year:

New York-Central
Poppleton, Mike — Midfield (Manlius, NY/Fayetteville-Manlius, NY) — Johns Hopkins

There was an article not to long ago where a coach or the evaluator said Magnan could play in the ACC right now as a High school jr. This kid can' t sign his NLOI fast enough. The staff needs to do everything in their power to make sure this kid stays orange, give him a full ride, whatever. He has the chance to be the best recruit since Mike Powell and that's not hyperbole.

There was an article not to long ago where a coach or the evaluator said Magnan could play in the ACC right now as a High school jr. This kid can' t sign his NLOI fast enough. The staff needs to do everything in their power to make sure this kid stays orange, give him a full ride, whatever. He has the chance to be the best recruit since Mike Powell and that's not hyperbole.

22?

New York-Central

Didn't know poppleton was a fm guy let alone even ny. Wow

22?

If the team doesn't give it to someone next year, it would be between him and Cook for that class. Cook will blow up again this spring and will likely be a top 10 player along with Magnan in the country by the time he graduates.

If the team doesn't give it to someone next year, it would be between him and Cook for that class. Cook will blow up again this spring and will likely be a top 10 player along with Magnan in the country by the time he graduates.
Who are some of the guys in next year's class that we could see taking it over? Seebold maybe? That is really the only one I can think of. Maybe Lauder?

Who are some of the guys in next year's class that we could see taking it over? Seebold maybe? That is really the only one I can think of. Maybe Lauder?
Quinn as well.

Lauder and or Quinn are probably the two most likeliest options unless they opt to give it an upperclassmen like a Bomberry or something like that. Seebold to me is a darkhose candidate coming from a non lax hot bed area not sure they would give it to him but he has pretty impressive numbers. Casey Rogers is going prep so he's out and he doesn't fit the profile. I could see them holding it until 2018 and then giving it out to Magnan or Cook whichever of them wants it. I expect both to start from day 1 so it should be interesting. Or perhaps Austin Staats (fingers crossed)

Lauder and or Quinn are probably the two most likeliest options unless they opt to give it an upperclassmen like a Bomberry or something like that. Seebold to me is a darkhose candidate coming from a non lax hot bed area not sure they would give it to him but he has pretty impressive numbers. Casey Rogers is going prep so he's out and he doesn't fit the profile. I could see them holding it until 2018 and then giving it out to Magnan or Cook whichever of them wants it. I expect both to start from day 1 so it should be interesting. Or perhaps Austin Staats (fingers crossed)
Or perhaps Zach Miller ;) lets hope he really considers transferring here next season, I've heard rumblings of it on twitter.

Or perhaps Zach Miller ;) lets hope he really considers transferring here next season, I've heard rumblings of it on twitter.

The issue with Miller transferrign here is two fold.
1. Can or is he willing to hold off on turning pro
2. Academically is he in good enough standing to transfer.

If the answer to both of those questions is yes then I think Syracuse would be his landing spot. The only other potential school is Albany and I don't see that happening. He loves the Bomberry's and with them both at Syracuse I believe he would want to transfer here. It also helps as I believe like Bomberry he was an SU fan growing up.
Still a lot of things would have to fall into place for him to make it here. Should get a feel for it after the season or in the early to mid summer, if he doesn't declare himself he could end up here. If he did end up here I couldn't see SU giving him #22 for just one season.

Sizzling his future Orange classmate, our '18 goalie commit Shahe Katchadurian from John Jay. Look at how much of the goal he takes up. 6'4'' 250 lbs reminds me of former ND star Scott Rodgers.

Sizzling his future Orange classmate, our '18 goalie commit Shahe Katchadurian from John Jay. Look at how much of the goal he takes up. 6'4'' 250 lbs reminds me of former ND star Scott Rodgers.
haha, good catch.

Got schools mixed up...

In the 2018 Pool A, PrimeTime, filled primarily with Hudson Valley and Connecticut players, held a 2-0 record with wins over Evolve Elite and BBL. Midfielder Matthew Magnan (Michigan) and attackman Griffin Gelinas (Syracuse) combined for seven goals in the team’s run. Evolve Elite and Nations United finished 1-1, and BBL 0-2 in the bracket.