New ETFE roof in Minn | Syracusefan.com

New ETFE roof in Minn

upperdeck

Living Legend
Anyone looked into whether is an option for what we need to replace on the Dome? supposed to be pretty light and might solve more than one of the issues with the replacement?

Anyone looked into whether is an option for what we need to replace on the Dome? supposed to be pretty light and might solve more than one of the issues with the replacement?
We have discussed this on the board in the past.

If we go with a fixed roof, I think it is likely it will feature the use of ETFE. Light, strong, low maintenance cost, relatively cheap and it gives some of the benefits of a retractable dome at a fraction of the cost.

The future?

Forsyth-Barr_3-990x465.jpg

Example of ETFE currently in use

Last edited:

If we go with a fixed roof, I think it is likely it will feature the use of ETFE. Light, strong, low maintenance cost, relatively cheap and it gives some of the benefits of a retractable dome at a fraction of the cost.

The future?
We should try to get some Cajun establishment to sponsor the new construction, you know, like "The Pappadeaux Roof at the Carrier Dome." Then a spot on each concourse where you can get good Etouffe.

The future?

Nice choice of reference. I am assuming you did this on purpose knowing that Populous is the firm employed to do the stadium (Dome or otherwise) studies.

Nice choice of reference. I am assuming you did this on purpose knowing that Populous is the firm employed to do the stadium (Dome or otherwise) studies.
No. Just wanted to show what is possible with the material in question.

It is encouraging though that the firm we are working with is very familiar with ETFE.

The future?

The high cost of a fixed roof dome for us is more about the additional support structure needed than the material of the roof itself.

You're assuming the sun will visit Syracuse during the basketball season?

I would think the platinum backdrop might upgrade shooting %'s.

Fixed!

We should try to get some Cajun establishment to sponsor the new construction, you know, like "The Pappadeaux Roof at the Carrier Dome." Then a spot on each concourse where you can get good Etouffe.

Bring all the Pappa's restaurants to Syracuse and the Dome! Then get Pappa's to sell Hofmann's and Giannelli down here in Houston. One can hope...
If this happened, the Dome would have some of the greatest cuisine in all of CFBdom. Though, not many fans would be making noise in the fourth quarter as the food coma sets in.

You're assuming the sun will visit Syracuse during the basketball season?

I would think the gray backdrop might upgrade shooting %'s.

It would make Nike happy at least. Especially if we threw some fancy cartoon looking numbers up on the ceiling.

xc84 said:
The high cost of a fixed roof dome for us is more about the additional support structure needed than the material of the roof itself.

I'm not a structural engineer, but I watch a lot of hgtv and diy network, and I believe the structure needed is dependent on the weight of the roof to be supported. The Dome sides are pretty thick concrete.

Stupid question...

Think September, in the Dome, noon kick-off. Already we're roasting. Would sunlight hitting this not heat things up even more?

I deal in windows. I imagine a material like this is gonna to have some kind of crazy solar heat gain coefficient number so we don't become ants under a magnifying glass. Again, maybe stupid, but as a roof, it has to be manufactured against that right?

But still, this would make the interior of the dome warmer on a sunny day. That's not a good thing.

Stupid question...

Think September, in the Dome, noon kick-off. Already we're roasting. Would sunlight hitting this not heat things up even more?

I deal in windows. I imagine a material like this is gonna to have some kind of crazy solar heat gain coefficient number so we don't become ants under a magnifying glass. Again, maybe stupid, but as a roof, it has to be manufactured against that right?

But still, this would make the interior of the dome warmer on a sunny day. That's not a good thing.

Maybe make it opaque instead of clear with a UV blocker in it.

I have to believe we can put a new opaque ETFE roof on the dome without changing the whole structure in this day and age.

Stupid question...

sweating3.jpg

That is true but the weight of the roof is what drives the need for additional support.

This was taken from a technical paper on the properties of ETFE...

Weighing approximately 1% the weight of glass, single-ply ETFE membranes and ETFE cushions are both extremely lightweight. This enables a reduction of structural framework and imposes significantly less dead load on the supporting structure (Figure 2). The reduced requirement for steelwork provides a large cost benefit for clients and is a key advantage when replacing glazing in old structures to meet current building codes (e.g., railway station roofs).

Stupid question...

There is an existing solution described here. I would expect however that any renovation of the Dome would include adding air conditioning to the building.

I'm not a structural engineer, but I watch a lot of hgtv and diy network, and I believe the structure needed is dependent on the weight of the roof to be supported. The Dome sides are pretty thick concrete.
Did you see the trusses in the Minnesota dome? The Carrier dome will need more support around it to support the trusses. The current walls won't handle that load along with the load of the fabric and snow on the roof.

That is true but the weight of the roof is what drives the need for additional support.

This was taken from a technical paper on the properties of ETFE...

Weighing approximately 1% the weight of glass, single-ply ETFE membranes and ETFE cushions are both extremely lightweight. This enables a reduction of structural framework and imposes significantly less dead load on the supporting structure (Figure 2). The reduced requirement for steelwork provides a large cost benefit for clients and is a key advantage when replacing glazing in old structures to meet current building codes (e.g., railway station roofs).
I agree. This fabric would lessen the load v. something more traditional.

ETFE also absorbs less noise that the current teflon so the some will be louder.

You think they would since it's hot in there a couple games a year? Most of its use gets heated.
More than a couple ... could be used more in the summer if it had a/c. I agree it is not totally necessary but they could probably manage a free system if they push Carrier. The Minnesota dome has a wall that will open for fresh air. Not sure if they have a/c.

I agree. This fabric would lessen the load v. something more traditional.

ETFE also absorbs less noise that the current teflon so the some will be louder.

That would not be a bad thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom