New ETFE roof in Minn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New ETFE roof in Minn

I'm sold on ETFE if they can circulate fresh air throughout the building. That's key. But does the existing concrete monolith limit our options? I still say build new at the Inner Harbor. And let's keep the Dome, too, since we have no further need for land with the new chancellor.

More than a couple ... could be used more in the summer if it had a/c. I agree it is not totally necessary but they could probably manage a free system if they push Carrier. The Minnesota dome has a wall that will open for fresh air. Not sure if they have a/c.
Give Carrier an ultimatum: Give us AC or we use use Trane. We can hear the announcers now, "Welcome to the Carrier Dome, cooled by Trane." Or, "When SU wanted to cool the Carrier Dome, they chose Trane!"

Give Carrier an ultimatum: Give us AC or we use use Trane. We can hear the announcers now, "Welcome to the Carrier Dome, cooled by Trane." Or, "When SU wanted to cool the Carrier Dome, they chose Trane!"

That's not a bad idea.

I for one like this ETFE idea. Look at this project to be a cost effective alternative to replacing the entire dome, that if done so will end up being half-$%#ed. Open the dome on the highway side of the building, also extending a concourse out over towards the law building. Open the other end for circulation and the heat problem, with UV in the ETFE probably solves the heat probelm. Same time keep them closed in winter and save on heating bills. If Minn. can handle snow on their roof why can't ours. I know, I know it will depend on structure modifications. Still to upgrade our present dome and use some of the saved money by not replacing the entire structure, that same money could go to interstructure to vastly improve and create reasonably priced parking and entrance/exit roadways. If you want the people to come back you have to make it reasonably priced. NOT the tickets I think SU is fair in this arena but parking is crazy. Also make the escape rout easier and people will stay which can only help us. SU will have to do this right or risk becoming a cellar dweller for ever.

Here's a question: if cuomo was so willingly ready to hand over $200 million just over a year ago for a new stadium, why can't we pitch a similar proposal as part of the $500 million economic stimulus competition? As part of a larger economic development plan it makes sense on many levels.

Since it wont be an air supported roof there is an opportunity to open up the building for circulation as well.
High capacity fans used currently to keep the dome inflated could be repurposed for great ventilation.

This sounds so much like an episode of Mad Men. I can hear it now...

For real.

Did you see the trusses in the Minnesota dome? The Carrier dome will need more support around it to support the trusses. The current walls won't handle that load along with the load of the fabric and snow on the roof.
It probably will need some additional support added, but keep in mind that the Carrier Dome is about half the size of the Vikings dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom