New, Exciting Topic: Bringing in a WR Coach | Syracusefan.com

New, Exciting Topic: Bringing in a WR Coach

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
Better than Marrone talk, that's for sure. Who'd be a good hire? Where do you want his recruiting prowess? Another midwest guy? South Florida?

Just burn it all to the ground and start over. The worm has turned.

If people are still psyched about Eric White, then you should offer him the promotion.

In the end, it will likely be a former HC from a D2 or D3 program given the past hiring history of Shafer. Not a good or bad thing, just likely what the background will be.

Frozen said:
Well, Rob Moore is kind of available.

Is he? The assts are still under contract. Plus, he can't recruit. Want a solid coach who can recruit.

If people are still psyched about Eric White, then you should offer him the promotion.

In the end, it will likely be a former HC from a D2 or D3 program given the past hiring history of Shafer. Not a good or bad thing, just likely what the background will be.

Uh no. Eric White has never been a WR. He has never coached a day in his life. What makes you think this would be a good idea?

Uh no. Eric White has never been a WR. He has never coached a day in his life. What makes you think this would be a good idea?

B/c it's primarily a recruiting position in an offense that is no longer going to really focus on WR's.

White connects with kids and you are giving him a promotion while giving him more time to talk/recruit kids.

With as much video as he watches/gathers and his friendship with McDonald, you really don't think he can teach guys how to run routes and work a JUGS machine? Especially given the talks about his work ethic?

For all I care about this position, move Adam to WR coach and bring in a guy that has coached OL before...

WR coach = recruiting position over coaching position, IMO.

Better than Marrone talk, that's for sure. Who'd be a good hire? Where do you want his recruiting prowess? Another midwest guy? South Florida?

We need another strong So Fla recruiter for sure. If we lose Daoust, we worry about a coach that can recruit other areas but right now South Florida needs to be covered by a strong presence.

We need 6 wins next year and a bowl. The best hire in the world won't matter unless that happens. I'd be reluctant to take a job at SU now because of job security.

I imagine we'll get someone who's just eager to coach major college football with little regard for job security.

I would expect Shafer to be scouting-out prospective candidates at the AFCA Convention is this weekend (1/10-12) in San Antonio.

Hopefully he's already contacted some guys before hand to set up meetings there. He should have known this was coming unless McD pulled a fast one to stick it to Shaf, which I dont believe is true, but who knows.

B/c it's primarily a recruiting position in an offense that is no longer going to really focus on WR's.

White connects with kids and you are giving him a promotion while giving him more time to talk/recruit kids.

With as much video as he watches/gathers and his friendship with McDonald, you really don't think he can teach guys how to run routes and work a JUGS machine? Especially given the talks about his work ethic?

For all I care about this position, move Adam to WR coach and bring in a guy that has coached OL before...

WR coach = recruiting position over coaching position, IMO.

You still need football coaches in football coaching positions. This isn't fantasy football.

Appreciate White and what he's done - but why weaken two positions when you can go out and hire someone just as good as McDonald?

For all the hype about his recruiting, the guys we're pulling in are basically the same level as the guys we were getting before.

orange_in_VA said:
Hopefully he's already contacted some guys before hand to set up meetings there. He should have known this was coming unless McD pulled a fast one to stick it to Shaf, which I dont believe is true, but who knows.

Yup. I'd expect even if McDonald pulled a fast one, he have a contingency plan in place. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a new WR coach in less than a week (unless said candidate is still waiting until after signing day).

You still need football coaches in football coaching positions. This isn't fantasy football.

Appreciate White and what he's done - but why weaken two positions when you can go out and hire someone just as good as McDonald?

For all the hype about his recruiting, the guys we're pulling in are basically the same level as the guys we were getting before.

Every coach starts somewhere. Given past history, Syracuse will likely hire someone without recent D-1 coaching experience. Not sure that our end result means a coach that is a better WR coach then McDonald.

Coaching isn't rocket science. Pretty much anyone worth their salt as an evaluator can coach. Coaching is identifying mechanical problems and correcting them while having a rapport with your players so they trust you and what you are doing.

I believe a college WR coach affects wins moreso by the talent he brings in then his coaching of the position.

You feel differently, that's fine. I am not as high on White as others, but if you like what he has done in recruiting, it would stand to reason you would want him to have more say in it.

It doesn't seem like you understand that Eric White isn't a coach of any sort. If we're just going to hire a member of the football support staff, doesn't Baby Doll have more seniority?

I understand that. I am saying I don't value coaching at the WR position. I bring up White b/c at some point you will need to promote him unless you decide you would rather put more money in that position.

I think high level coaching at the WR position is going to be worth about .4 of a win with the new offense.

Shafer has shown he doesn't necessarily value coaching experience at positions that need it (OL hire for example, no history of ever coaching offensive line for Adam). So, I anticipate it will be a D2 or D3 head coach (or former head coach) or a current high school coach.

http://www.elmhurstbluejays.com/coaches.aspx?rc=523&path=football

14FB_Norton.jpg

Kristopher Norton

Kristopher Norton
Assistant Football Coach (Wide Receivers)

Email: kristopher.norton@elmhurst.edu

Kristopher Norton is entering his first year as an assistant coach with the Elmhurst Football team. Norton will work with the wide receivers during the 2014 season.

Norton spent the past two seasons as the offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at Fenwick High School, helping the Friars reach the playoffs in each year.

Norton spent a year as an assistant coach with the Chicago Rush in the Arena Football League. Before joining the Rush, Norton spent four seasons as an assistant coach with Ridgewood High School.

Norton also coached for two seasons at the University of St. Francis, working with the tight ends and wide receivers.

A 1999 graduate of Carthage College, Norton was a four-year letterwinner for the Red Men, earning all-CCIW honors in 1995 and 1996. He spent one year with Quad City Steamwheelers of the Arena Football League 2 in 2000.

14FB_Norton.jpg

Kristopher Norton

Kristopher Norton

Kristopher Norton is entering his first year as an assistant coach with the Elmhurst Football team. Norton will work with the wide receivers during the 2014 season.

Norton spent the past two seasons as the offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at Fenwick High School, helping the Friars reach the playoffs in each year.

Norton spent a year as an assistant coach with the Chicago Rush in the Arena Football League. Before joining the Rush, Norton spent four seasons as an assistant coach with Ridgewood High School.

Norton also coached for two seasons at the University of St. Francis, working with the tight ends and wide receivers.

A 1999 graduate of Carthage College, Norton was a four-year letterwinner for the Red Men, earning all-CCIW honors in 1995 and 1996. He spent one year with Quad City Steamwheelers of the Arena Football League 2 in 2000.

Wouldn't be surprised, but wouldn't exactly be excited. Can't he hire someone outside of his comfort zone? It's the path to getting fired if he doesn't.

Wouldn't be surprised, but wouldn't exactly be excited. Can't he hire someone outside of his comfort zone? It's the path to getting fired if he doesn't.
Acosta.

Shafer knows he needs a strong recruiter to replace McDonald, especially if Daoust is also departing. I would be surprised if he brought someone like that aboard, unless the guy was a recruiting dynamo in disguise.

14FB_Norton.jpg

Kristopher Norton

Kristopher Norton

Seems like a likely candidate. Not someone that I'd get very excited about. I have to see that I'm in the camp that would like to see someone with recruiting ties to SoFla, instead of another Midwestern guy.

14FB_Norton.jpg

Kristopher Norton

Kristopher Norton

if Shafer is even considering hiring a guy with one year of college coaching experience at Division III, somebody put me in a coma for a year and wake me up when Shafer is fired.
Happy Birthday, Scott.

EDIT: I was so amazed by this discussion that I failed to mention his two years of coaching at the University of St. Francis.

Last edited:
Acosta.

Shafer knows he needs a strong recruiter to replace McDonald, especially if Daoust is also departing. I would be surprised if he brought someone like that aboard, unless the guy was a recruiting dynamo in disguise.

That solves the WR coach position, but there's still a staff spot open for somebody. I am hopeful it's a guy that's got some sort of cache. Not holding my breathe though.

That solves the WR coach position, but there's still a staff spot open for somebody. I am hopeful it's a guy that's got some sort of cache. Not holding my breathe though.
I meant that Acosta represented a hire outside of Shafer's coaching tree, "comfort zone". Not that we should move Acosta to WR.