New, Exciting Topic: Bringing in a WR Coach | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New, Exciting Topic: Bringing in a WR Coach

B/c it's primarily a recruiting position in an offense that is no longer going to really focus on WR's.

White connects with kids and you are giving him a promotion while giving him more time to talk/recruit kids.

With as much video as he watches/gathers and his friendship with McDonald, you really don't think he can teach guys how to run routes and work a JUGS machine? Especially given the talks about his work ethic?

For all I care about this position, move Adam to WR coach and bring in a guy that has coached OL before...

WR coach = recruiting position over coaching position, IMO.
You have smoked yourself we-todd-did.

Really? Wow...most ridiculous thing I have heard yet.

Eric White is not, I repeat NOT A COACH, he is good at social media and he already recruits for us. Why the HELL would we give him a coaching position when we have a finite number of coaching positions over someone who can both recruit and actually show a receiver how to run a route from experience, the nuances of a position.

I read a book on coaching once and played in HS, does that qualify me to be a D1 receivers coach, absolutely not. Neither does typing on my phone like White does.

I need to go lay down after reading what you said, I just threw my phone across the room.

If you are throwing your phone across the room b/c of a message board post, you need to seriously re-evaluate how serious you take the board... Blood pressure dude.

I get it, it's stupid. I said we would likely get a guy who was a previous head coach at a D2 or D3 school based on what Shafer's history is. Whether that guy is good or not, we shall see.

As I said, its a recruiting position. That is how I value the position. As I said earlier, we can move Adam from OL (where he had zero previous experience coaching the position, so Shafer obviously doesn't value that experience and nuance of a position like you do) and hire a true OL coach b/c coaching at OL is hugely important in college.

That is how much I care about previous experience coaching WR's.

hmm

Ryan S. Clark‏@ryan_s_clark
St. Thomas Aquinas has confirmed Rocco Casullo is out as head coach. Casullo led Aquinas to Class 7A title in 2014 season.
ar11647567555336.jpg
Very interesting.....perhaps

Most likely I see Acosta sliding over to coach the WR's, and we then hire a TE/ST coach. Therefore this hire should be someone who can recruit. Maybe there's a possibility we are going to get away from South Florida? imo if we were serious about staying in So Florida we would have at least sent out feelers to Rocco Casullo. I'm very interested to see who this hire is going to be. We can't lose one of our top recruiters, and replace him with somebody with no recruiting connections. I'd like to see us down something outside the box. Instead of filling the position with someone from Shafer's future, i'd like to see us make a run at a successful HS coach that can get us into a certain territory. That or go through the support staffs of some of the big time programs and go for a young up and comer, who kids could easily relate too.

Shouldn't Shafer have hired somebody by now?
He's had a helluva lot of lead time to come up with a plan, start having discussions, etc. There's zero chance that McDonald leaving was a surprise.

The next three weeks until signing day are going to be 100% recruiting, so the new hire is probably a month away.

Shouldn't Shafer have hired somebody by now?
He's had a helluva lot of lead time to come up with a plan, start having discussions, etc. There's zero chance that McDonald leaving was a surprise.

The next three weeks until signing day are going to be 100% recruiting, so the new hire is probably a month away.
Not a peep online. Guess he's waiting for after signing day? (Unlike McDonald)

Could be a situation where the recruits are told before it's made public

If you are throwing your phone across the room b/c of a message board post, you need to seriously re-evaluate how serious you take the board... Blood pressure dude.

I get it, it's stupid. I said we would likely get a guy who was a previous head coach at a D2 or D3 school based on what Shafer's history is. Whether that guy is good or not, we shall see.

As I said, its a recruiting position. That is how I value the position. As I said earlier, we can move Adam from OL (where he had zero previous experience coaching the position, so Shafer obviously doesn't value that experience and nuance of a position like you do) and hire a true OL coach b/c coaching at OL is hugely important in college.

That is how much I care about previous experience coaching WR's.

I am not throwing my phone across the room because of a message board post. I am throwing it across the room because of such a ridiculous suggestion.

I am praying that you were sleep-typing and not actually suggesting that a university with an $87 million dollar budget would do this.

It is NOT a recruiting position, it is a COACHING position. ALL coaches need to be able to recruit but there no position coach that is ONLY a recruiting position. PERIOD. End of discussion.

You don't hire a COACH that needs to coach a position because he has knowledge of social media and can type on an iPad, iPhone and has a great knowledge of Twitter, Facebook or any other such nonsense.

For you to suggest anything of the sort is ridiculous.

I am not throwing my phone across the room because of a message board post. I am throwing it across the room because of such a ridiculous suggestion.

I am praying that you were sleep-typing and not actually suggesting that a university with an $87 million dollar budget would do this.

It is NOT a recruiting position, it is a COACHING position. ALL coaches need to be able to recruit but there no position coach that is ONLY a recruiting position. PERIOD. End of discussion.

You don't hire a COACH that needs to coach a position because he has knowledge of social media and can type on an iPad, iPhone and has a great knowledge of Twitter, Facebook or any other such nonsense.

You are funny. Yes, I have a say in the decision, so you should totally be freaking out about this.

I mean seriously, its a message board. If a message board suggestion causes you to throw your phone, I hope you have ways to unwind from actual stressful things in your life.

I agree it wouldn't be a good move to move White into a coaching position, but you are going a bit over the top here man. He made a suggestion and when asked why he thought it was a good idea he explained his reasoning. He didn't do anything wrong or out of the oridinary on a forum bored, he just expressed and opinion. Just move on and forget about it.

I agree it wouldn't be a good move to move White into a coaching position, but you are going a bit over the top here man. He made a suggestion and when asked why he thought it was a good idea he explained his reasoning. He didn't do anything wrong or out of the oridinary on a forum bored, he just expressed and opinion. Just move on and forget about it.

The throwing the phone was a joke...sorry both you and Tim didn't get it. The suggestion made was just as silly as my "over the top" reaction.

Remember, in your and his words..."it's only a message board post".

I can give my reasoning why building a giant ladder to the moon is a good idea, doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

The throwing the phone was a joke...sorry both you and Tim didn't get it. The suggestion made was just as silly as my "over the top" reaction.

Remember, in your and his words..."it's only a message board post".

I can give my reasoning why building a giant ladder to the moon is a good idea, doesn't make it any less ridiculous.
I'll bet Eric White could engineer such a ladder because he's awesome.

I'll bet Eric White could engineer such a ladder because he's awesome.

Yes...he is irreplaceable, the program would be in dire straits if he ever left. Just lock the dome, deflate the bubble and turn out the lights.

Better than Marrone talk, that's for sure. Who'd be a good hire? Where do you want his recruiting prowess? Another midwest guy? South Florida?
Ivan Fears have any Grand kids

Every coach starts somewhere. Given past history, Syracuse will likely hire someone without recent D-1 coaching experience. Not sure that our end result means a coach that is a better WR coach then McDonald.

Coaching isn't rocket science. Pretty much anyone worth their salt as an evaluator can coach. Coaching is identifying mechanical problems and correcting them while having a rapport with your players so they trust you and what you are doing.

I believe a college WR coach affects wins moreso by the talent he brings in then his coaching of the position.

You feel differently, that's fine. I am not as high on White as others, but if you like what he has done in recruiting, it would stand to reason you would want him to have more say in it.

Truly spoken like a person who has never coached anything...good Lord. What color is the sky in your world?

If we hire some D3 guy from the Midwest I think I will Ralph.
I work with a D3 coach named Ralph who is from Pittsburgh and was just at a coaching clinic with Siriki Diabate. Is that close enough?

Truly spoken like a person who has never coached anything...good Lord. What color is the sky in your world?

Wait, is your sky not Pink? Oh my God, I hope I am in the right world!

I have coached plenty in baseball. Also given plenty of people their first coaching opportunity.

Just wow. Make a post on a message board and everyone has something derogatory to say and knows you!

I mean, geez, just put me on ignore so you don't have to hear my rambling, incoherent thoughts!

Wait, is your sky not Pink? Oh my God, I hope I am in the right world!

I have coached plenty in baseball. Also given plenty of people their first coaching opportunity.

Just wow. Make a post on a message board and everyone has something derogatory to say and knows you!

I mean, geez, just put me on ignore so you don't have to hear my rambling, incoherent thoughts!
What level did you coach? Little League? Perhaps much higher and then I'll have re-evaluate, but you don't talk like it...

Purdue wide receivers coach Kevin Sherman will join the Pitt staff in the same role, according to Sports Illustrated’s Thayer Evans, giving Narduzzi his nine full-time assistants.