New Francis Podcast out Tuesday | Syracusefan.com

New Francis Podcast out Tuesday

So many thoughts about the podcast, but unbelievable, might be his best yet.
But this one cracked me up re, Dave Rice of UNLV:
"like the West Coast Tom Crean", meaning he can get players in, but doesn't know what to do with them.
:)

That was my first Pod, Dean ... really enjoyed it. Before I get to basketball, my sincere condolences to you for your loss. That's a tough thing that takes a long time to get over. As far as the team, you pointed out many aspects that are working and few that aren't. Cooney and G are playing very well, especially G as Cooney hasn't hit his stride shooting. We're not as deep as 09-10 with Scoop coming off the bench, but the starting lineups are definitely comparable, Rautins and Triche and TC and G. People will argue that Rautins was an NBA-level shooter, but I tell you what, G's tearing up the net with some truly ridiculous numbers. And our defense up top is much better. G and Cooney have their hands up, they're pinching in on high screens and I think they have 29 steals in 6 games. Nice to have veteran ball handlers to close out games without silly TO's.

Malachi's shooting it pretty well. When he adjusts to bigger, quicker defenders at this level, I think he'll finish more drives and take better shots. When that happens, his scoring efficiency will go up and, with his athleticism, we might be reloading next year when he and Battle take over.

Lydon's another kid with huge upside ... sweet stroke from the outside, solid rebounder .. has excellent length and can block some shots, and even drive the lane. If he doesn't win ROY in the ACC, 6th MOY might be there. At the 4, he stretches the D and opens up the lane. On the downside, he gets shoved around at the 5. And when he and Malachi are paired at forward, they are frequently late rotating down when the ball goes to the foul line and the center moves up. In this scenario, until the last few minutes of the A/M game, he and Malachi were getting run by Davis, Jones and the other A/M big. Once they figure this out we should get better defensively, as DeJuan regains his form and gets more minutes. He looks really good, brutal rebounder and soft touch around the rim. I don't want him looking TOO good, if you know what I mean. Because next year, we're still going to need some experienced bigs to help Chukwu in the middle.

As you pointed out, the guard rotation is an even bigger concern than front court depth. No way we can keep TC/G fresh all season with the minutes they're playing. Howard looks good but needs some experience to get comfortable out there. Not sure what KJ's mindset is, but we need him to focus .. get his hands up on D, and relax out there instead of over-thinking. His shot is better ... but he's tentative running the offense. I'd also like to see Chino get some minutes so Lydon can give Malachi or Roberson a breather without having to play the middle.

I don't pay much attention to Seth Davis .. so he can kick rocks. But I have other suggestions for ESPN that are not appropriate for a public forum. I/m tired of them humping Kentucky's leg with all this exposure. Meanwhile, they're messing up SU broadcasts by putting games on ESPN3 (?) or selling the broadcast rights to chumps like MSG+2. So they need to focus on covering sports instead of building market share.

Last edited:
tee1222 said:
So many thoughts about the podcast, but unbelievable, might be his best yet. But this one cracked me up re, Dave Rice of UNLV: "like the West Coast Tom Crean", meaning he can get players in, but doesn't know what to do with them. :)

Tee, I laughed out loud sitting at my desk thinking about your old Crean avatar pic.

Great Podcast Dean! It's wonderful to listen to your take on all things Orange Basketball. A must listen for all who bleed Orange! Your excitement with this young team and it's early season accomplishments is a great thing to hear. There is no other place that you can get a high concentration injection of Cuse Mania which exceeds what you bring with your podcasts. Your voice is rapidly becoming what I associate as being "The Voice of Otto". If Otto could speak ... it would be Dean's voice!

Your efforts are much appreciated. Thanks for providing an early season audio highlight and keep up the great work.

Oh, then she's back!
Thar she is .. beautiful. And Dean went through him like a hot knife thru butter. What's your thinking on GoodLuck? I say, if he's blocking shots, take him. And we should be giving Duval consistent love (another good point).

To my knowledge Dean hasn't been here in a while. He does have a Twitter feed that includes SU info. That's where I find out when he has a pod cast. It can be found below.
Dean Francis–
@OttosWorld365

To my knowledge Dean hasn't been here in a while. He does have a Twitter feed that includes SU info. That's where I find out when he has a pod cast. It can be found below.
Dean Francis–
@OttosWorld365
He's still lurking ;)

Thar she is .. beautiful. And Dean went through him like a hot knife thru butter. What's your thinking on GoodLuck? I say, if he's blocking shots, take him. And we should be giving Duval consistent love (another good point).
Agree. I want a rim protector. We could and should have two next year.

Dean Francis–
@OttosWorld365
He's still lurking ;)
See? He just liked my post! Great to have you around, my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom