New Michigan AD Is Advocate For UCONN | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

New Michigan AD Is Advocate For UCONN

Harvard and Quinnipiac played a hockey game at MSG a couple weeks ago and drew 14K.

I therefore declare that ECAC Hockey now dominates NYC.
The story you are looking for is scary and should be watched at your own risk. Warning.

Thanks for letting me know the ECAC dominates NYC.

Harvard and Quinnipiac played a hockey game at MSG a couple weeks ago and drew 14K.

I therefore declare that ECAC Hockey now dominates NYC.
Your always shilling for teams from New England.

CousCuse said:
It's a factoid which in some way elevates their perceived status.

Who'd you rather play Boise St or UCONN?

CousCuse said:
Your always shilling for teams from New England.

I schill for facts. ECAC Hockey filled 2/3rds of the Garden, therefore, ECAC Hockey dominates NYC just like the Big Ten.

Who'd you rather play Boise St or UCONN?
Doesn't the term factoid register ? UConn to the B1G gives me anxiety. The income discrepancy between the B1G and the ACC is significant , like 20 million. For some unexplaned reason Swofford can't get an ACC network to happen while the SEC and the B1G are draining the lake with their private networks. A move of UConn to the B1G would further Balkinize the ACC by having a wall of B1G teams cutting off its already exposrd northern flank while at the same time dominating the focus of COLLEGE media attention in the NYC market.

I schill for facts. ECAC Hockey filled 2/3rds of the Garden, therefore, ECAC Hockey dominates NYC just like the Big Ten.
The Penn State-Michigan hockey game at MSG drew 13,479.

So Syracuse>ECAC hockey>B1g hockey>B1g basketball.

Wait until they bring Rutgers 342 fans in as part of this doubleheader. Don't think they have a hockey team though. You can tell by checking the last place team in the B1g in hockey...

The Detroit newspaper tried to put a happy face on the small crowd.

Linkage

Beginning with the 12,108 fans at the basketball game, there was a lively split atmosphere that had a Big Ten tournament feel with the two sides alternately cheering the possessions.

“I think I’d feel this way win or lose: It’s great to have an opportunity for these young men to have an opportunity to play in Madison Square Garden,” U-M coach John Beilein said. “To bring the Big Ten into this mecca of basketball and have this opportunity for our teams to play and get a win. It’s 12,000, a pretty legitimate 12,000. You could hear them.”

If a 60% filled arena has a B1g tournament feel, that tells me all I need to know about b1g basketball.

CousCuse said:
Doesn't the term factoid register ? UConn to the B1G gives me anxiety. The income discrepancy between the B1G and the ACC is significant , like 20 million. For some unexplaned reason Swofford can't get an ACC network to happen while the SEC and the B1G are draining the lake with their private networks. A move of UConn to the B1G would further Balkinize the ACC by having a wall of B1G teams cutting off its already exposrd northern flank while at the same time dominating the focus of COLLEGE media attention in the NYC market.

You mentioned perception. The perception of on the field play between Boise and UCONN is very different.

I have no concerns over UCONN getting into the B1G for all of the points made in this thread.

While I admire your persistence, we're over 130 posts in and I'm not sure you have come closer to convincing anyone that UConn to the B1G is anything close to reality other than in your mind. Personally, I'd probably just bookmark this thread and you would have the biggest "I told you so" moment in board history if it actually does become reality. But far be it from me to tell anyone how to spend their time.

I agree . But once the B1G were to destabilize Bevo, it's on. the SEC will go all in for 2 ACC teams and the rest of the Big 12 and the ACC teams will form 1 league with 5 of their current members left out.
If you think that UNC-UVA do not now have, and for many years past have not had, permanently renewable offers to join both the SEC and the Big Boring Ten, then you are out of the loop. Both of us could have been in either of those monstrosities any time we wanted.

So no ruining of the Bevo 12 by the BBT can lead to the SEC getting what it would like from the ACC. The BBT taking KU and OU would open up Texas to taking an ND type deal with the ACC to avoid feeling a need to go SEC.

Conferences are as stable as their core members/most important members are loyal. Even the BT would face a major crisis if Ohio State were to suddenly decide that it wants to test itself against SEC football. OSU leaving the BT would cause Penn St to look very closely at joining the ACC. Nebraska would have the worst case of conference buyer's regret in history and use its connections to KU and OU to explore returning to the Big 12.

UConn fans would cheer for all that, because that is how UConn would get a BT invite.

So maybe that ought to be the starting point for your fixation on UConn.

Yukon to the B1g & the B1g dominating NYC are two theories as sound as the one I floated attempting to assign a cause/effect relationship between SU dropping wrestling and poor football recruiting. Oh Lord

You honestly don't get realignment.
Conferences expand for money. UConn doesn't bring enough revenue to justify the Big Ten adding them. They crunched the numbers when they added Rutgers and Maryland. Rutgers brought cable boxes from NJ and NYC for the BTN.
UConn would bring CT that is all. CT population is not high enough that it would add bring enough revenue for the BTN to justify adding them.
Football is the number one revenue producer for TV money.
The Big Ten wants North Carolina/Virginia/Oklahoma/Texas/Kansas before UConn.

Be scared of UConn in the Big Ten just like I will be scared that Aaron Rodgers could end up on the Jets or Bills.

The ACC network is on hold because the ACC hasn't acquired its rights it sold to Raycom/Fox Sports back and ESPN right now is bleeding revenue and Disney is telling them to cut fat in the workplace. ESPN isn't going to invest 1 penny right now until their bottom line improves.

This is going to hurt the Big Ten a little bit. While Fox Sports may spend on Big Ten they need ESPN as well to make more money. The Big Ten will do fine its new contract but with ESPN cutting back on spending it will hurt what they get a little bit as ESPN has SEC/ACC/half of the Pac-12 and all of Big XII basketball and half of Big XII football.

If you think that UNC-UVA do not now have, and for many years past have not had, permanently renewable offers to join both the SEC and the Big Boring Ten, then you are out of the loop.

Conferences are as stable as their core members/most important members are loyal. Even the BT would face a major crisis if Ohio State were to suddenly decide that it wants to test itself against SEC football.

Precisely. But the real question is, why would UNC and UVA ever leave a conference that they, effectively, run in favor of being a step-child of somebody else's league? Money? I don't think the difference in revenue is enough to warrant throwing away your tradition. Maryland fans were not at all happy about the move to the B1G, and it had to be done in secret for them to get away with it in relation to their own fans! The ACC makes enough money and gets enough exposure for UNC and UVA to never ever ever consider moving to a league that is based in the midwest with a different time zone.

You honestly don't get realignment.
Conferences expand for money. UConn doesn't bring enough revenue to justify the Big Ten adding them. They crunched the numbers when they added Rutgers and Maryland. Rutgers brought cable boxes from NJ and NYC for the BTN.
UConn would bring CT that is all. CT population is not high enough that it would add bring enough revenue for the BTN to justify adding them.
Football is the number one revenue producer for TV money.
The Big Ten wants North Carolina/Virginia/Oklahoma/Texas/Kansas before UConn.

Be scared of UConn in the Big Ten just like I will be scared that Aaron Rodgers could end up on the Jets or Bills.

The ACC network is on hold because the ACC hasn't acquired its rights it sold to Raycom/Fox Sports back and ESPN right now is bleeding revenue and Disney is telling them to cut fat in the workplace. ESPN isn't going to invest 1 penny right now until their bottom line improves.

This is going to hurt the Big Ten a little bit. While Fox Sports may spend on Big Ten they need ESPN as well to make more money. The Big Ten will do fine its new contract but with ESPN cutting back on spending it will hurt what they get a little bit as ESPN has SEC/ACC/half of the Pac-12 and all of Big XII basketball and half of Big XII football.

Also doesn't the B1G revenue share ticket sales? UConn football has no following and only a 40k stadium. The smallest stadium by capacity in the B1G is 47,125 and next is 51,750. So UConn would need to add 8k seats just to be the 14th biggest stadium in the B1G. Which isn't even taking into account the question of how do you fill those seats? I don't think Michigan even with UConn's former AD would be all that thrilled to have their ticket sales syphoned off to UConn who averaged a whopping 28,250 last year.

Also doesn't the B1G revenue share ticket sales? UConn football has no following and only a 40k stadium. The smallest stadium by capacity in the B1G is 47,125 and next is 51,750. So UConn would need to add 8k seats just to be the 14th biggest stadium in the B1G. Which isn't even taking into account the question of how do you fill those seats? I don't think Michigan even with UConn's former AD would be all that thrilled to have their ticket sales syphoned off to UConn who averaged a whopping 28,250 last year.
I don't think this would be that big of a problem. However you are correct the Big Ten does partially share ticket sales.

They would be getting more adversarial dollars as well. The Big Ten just won't add UConn because they don't add enough revenue to justify feeding another mouth.

storz is a non starter for every possible expansion.

their only shot is to head to Austin with a map of the NFC East and show them how Dallas fits in on I95 between NYC, philly and DC.

they will need to explain that they will play them at Giants Stadium and in foxboro if they want...everytime.

they will have to offer up a home hoop game to play them on a weekend in the Garden.

they will have to take less than a full share of revenue (which would still be more than what they get in whatever conf theyre in now)

then they will have to stop in norman on the way home and offer them the same thing.

and if the bevo decides to expand to the north and east for only 1 more school...they may call morgantown and say pick 1...cincy or storz.

and then they will have to stop there and get real creative, because wv will be picking cincy.

UConn is currently in the AAC . Every team they play is a thousand miles away and there are no visiting fans and very little interest from UConn fans to go see Tulsa , Tulane etc. If they were in the B1G east division , the visiting teams would be PSU , OSU, Mich. , MSU , Maryland , Rutgers , all close enough to drive there as well as having huge alumni bases in both NYC and Boston . They would probably have to enlarge their stadium. Just because Rutgers has been so inept with this huge opportunity doesn't mean UConn would be .

UConn is currently in the AAC . Every team they play is a thousand miles away and there are no visiting fans and very little interest from UConn fans to go see Tulsa , Tulane etc. If they were in the B1G east division , the visiting teams would be PSU , OSU, Mich. , MSU , Maryland , Rutgers , all close enough to drive there as well as having huge alumni bases in both NYC and Boston . They would probably have to enlarge their stadium. Just because Rutgers has been so inept with this huge opportunity doesn't mean UConn would be .
The same could be said for Temple, Central Florida, Cincinnati, South Florida, Buffalo and you keep pumping up UConn.

I mean why don't you get realignment? Please tell me and I will explain it. UConn is not going to the Big Ten.

The same could be said for Temple, Central Florida, Cincinnati, South Florida, Buffalo and you keep pumping up UConn.

I mean why don't you get realignment? Please tell me and I will explain it. UConn is not going to the Big Ten.
I do get realignment . Right now the Northeast is split between the ACC and the B1G . If the B1G could push the ACC out they would have all those eyeballs for themselves. It would not be that difficult . And that appears to be their strategic goal.

Last edited:
CousCuse said:

The story of UCONN football is only slightly better than that of Rutgers football.

And I'm not sure "competitiveness" matters as much as you think it does. It's all $$$.

The story of UCONN football is only slightly better than that of Rutgers football.

And I'm not sure "competitiveness" matters as much as you think it does. It's all $$$.
Basketball is a consideration as well .

I do get realignment . Right now the Northeast is split between the ACC and the B1G . If the B1G could push the ACC out they would have all those eyeballs for themselves. It would not be that difficult . And that appears to be their strategic goal.

In which case the B1G should be going after BC, ND, Pitt, and SU not UConn. As long as ND and those schools are in the ACC, the B1G has 0.0 chance of pushing the ACC out of the Northeast. UConn does nothing to change that.

I do get realignment . Right now the Northeast is split between the ACC and the B1G . If the B1G could push the ACC out they would have all those eyeballs for themselves. It would not be that difficult .
NYC does not care about the Big Ten or ACC.

NYC does not care about college football. Its Giants/Jets and the NFL during FB season.

During college hoops the city will give some attention to college hoops but its Knicks then St.John's/Syracuse/UConn in that order.

The Big Ten WILL NEVER CAPTURE NYC. Nor will the ACC. It is a losing proposition.

The ACC is playing its tournament at the Barclay's Center. They will have a NYC presence.

UConn does not tilt the balance one way or the other. The Big Ten did all the financial studies and found Rutgers to be more valuable.

The Big Ten could add UConn tomorrow and it wouldn't change NYC ONE IOTA. Not one bleeping iota.

The Northeast is not like the South/Midwest/Southwest/Northwest. It is pro sports dominate.

CousCuse said:
I do get realignment . Right now the Northeast is split between the ACC and the B1G . If the B1G could push the ACC out they would have all those eyeballs for themselves. It would not be that difficult .

Assumption #1: that UCONN football would peel any eyeballs away from the ACC.

They'd drink from the same shallow talent pool we already do for recruiting - but that's about all it would do. BC and Syracuse and Rutgers and UCONN would have to share the 10 good players from the NE that don't choose Penn St or tOSU already.

In short: no worries that will happen and no worries if it does

Precisely. But the real question is, why would UNC and UVA ever leave a conference that they, effectively, run in favor of being a step-child of somebody else's league? Money? I don't think the difference in revenue is enough to warrant throwing away your tradition. Maryland fans were not at all happy about the move to the B1G, and it had to be done in secret for them to get away with it in relation to their own fans! The ACC makes enough money and gets enough exposure for UNC and UVA to never ever ever consider moving to a league that is based in the midwest with a different time zone.
The answer is: HELL No!

UNC and UVA are fully on the same page regarding conference: a mix of sizes of schools is required; a mix of state and private schools is required; east coast focus is required; Dook as a member is required.

It isn't just that we are an indispensable part of running the ACC. It is that the ACC is exactly what we want. And neither UNC nor UVA is a whore - so we couldn't be bought even if we were as incompetently run as Maryland.