New Offense | Syracusefan.com

New Offense

skytop44

Walk On
I'm excited as anyone for this new offense but with all of the articles coming out and then HCSS is saying he's a defensive guy and he's having a hard time stopping it. They're putting a lot of faith into this offense and I hope it works but it seems like if it doesn't improve much, they're setting themselves up for a lot of criticism. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Wait and see. And hope and pray. Nothing more we can do at this point. And wear Orange colored glasses from now until week 2.

I'm putting the Rhode Island game in the irrelevant column. Whether we win by 10 or 50, that game doesn't matter. (Unless of course we lose). LGO!

At the very least, if it doesn't work there should - theoretically - be no excuses given that there have been nothing but since the end of last season.

Hope/pray it works. Program needs stability.

I'm excited as anyone for this new offense but with all of the articles coming out and then HCSS is saying he's a defensive guy and he's having a hard time stopping it. They're putting a lot of faith into this offense and I hope it works but it seems like if it doesn't improve much, they're setting themselves up for a lot of criticism. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Here's my opinion: Shafer's career at SU is going to be tied to whether or not he can find the right offensive coordinator. If Lester isn't up to the task, I see Shafer's decision to stick with him as being very career shortening.

Shafer IS a defensive guy, like you mentioned, and for all of his positive attributes he brings to the table as a HC, he doesn't seem to have a concept on what offensive identity he wants to have [which is really weird, because he's a former college QB]. So, like most successful defensive oriented head coaches, the selection he makes at OC is very important to offset that "gap" / hole in his coaching apptitude.

If Lester's offense works as well as suggested, then the ship will be righted this year. What does that mean in terms of on-field performance? That's tough to answer--but it probably means winning enough games to qualify for bowl eligibility. At minimum [if the unthinkable happens and we don't qualify, but get close with like 5 wins], then the offense needs to show so much promise that the new AD doesn't pull the plug.

Because the alternative is that the offense is as generally dysfunctional as what we've suffered through lately, with no indication that improvement is likely, and that would and probably should cost Shafer his job.

I like Shafer--a lot. I think he's got the right personality for CNY, I think his attitude can fire up the fanbase, and I think he and his staff are above average recruiters who can help replenish our program. But I also think he needs to win in order to prove that he is the guy for the job. As encouraged as I was after year 1, I'm as concerned about Shafer's ability to game plan / game coach after year 2. This is a big year for him. Given our success on the recruiting trail for the class of 2016, I'd really like to see what Shafer, Lester, etc. can do once they've recruited kids for their system and stocked the cupboards with playmaking talent that the team currently lacks.

skytop44 said:
Hard to judge intrasquad...the defense might be terrible. Who knows? You'll know after a half or so of football what the mindset is.

Here's my opinion: Shafer's career at SU is going to be tied to whether or not he can find the right offensive coordinator. If Lester isn't up to the task, I see Shafer's decision to stick with him as being very career shortening.

Shafer IS a defensive guy, like you mentioned, and for all of his positive attributes he brings to the table as a HC, he doesn't seem to have a concept on what offensive identity he wants to have [which is really weird, because he's a former college QB]. So, like most successful defensive oriented head coaches, the selection he makes at OC is very important to offset that "gap" / hole in his coaching apptitude.

If Lester's offense works as well as suggested, then the ship will be righted this year. What does that mean in terms of on-field performance? That's tough to answer--but it probably means winning enough games to qualify for bowl eligibility. At minimum [if the unthinkable happens and we don't qualify, but get close with like 5 wins], then the offense needs to show so much promise that the new AD doesn't pull the plug.

Because the alternative is that the offense is as generally dysfunctional as what we've suffered through lately, with no indication that improvement is likely, and that would and probably should cost Shafer his job.

I like Shafer--a lot. I think he's got the right personality for CNY, I think his attitude can fire up the fanbase, and I think he and his staff are above average recruiters who can help replenish our program. But I also think he needs to win in order to prove that he is the guy for the job. As encouraged as I was after year 1, I'm as concerned about Shafer's ability to game plan / game coach after year 2. This is a big year for him. Given our success on the recruiting trail for the class of 2016, I'd really like to see what Shafer, Lester, etc. can do once they've recruited kids for their system and stocked the cupboards with playmaking talent that the team currently lacks.
I'm like you. I like Shafer too and hopefully he can get it done here. Maybe it's because last year was so bad but all of the things that him and Lester are saying, to me, seem like empty words until we see production or progress. A lot of what's happened with our team the past 10 years has just been a lot of talk with very little results. I'm tired of waiting and seeing almost every year. I don't really care who the OC is or how we score. Just Score and put some damn points on the board!

I'm looking forward to what Lester can do to help make us competitive. A lot depends on execution by the players and their conditioning, but I'm hoping the coaches are going to have the kids ready with a plan they understand. These guys want to show they can compete.

some pretty high profile teams had issues going 2 deep at QB last year let alone 4 deep. if we play a year with decent injury status and struggle than its on the coaches/talent. if we play 4 qb's again and an oline with 1 leg and arm each no coach is going to get much out of it without elite talent who can make plays alone and we dont have that.

Smash mouth...Can our OL play smash mouth? What has been lacking has been a mean streak on offense, a real lack of confidence.

Not trying to be difficult, but isn't this the same thing we heard last year? Everything's always good in the summer, hard to see what it will actually look like until we start playing real games.

AZOrange said:
Hard to judge intrasquad...the defense might be terrible. Who knows? You'll know after a half or so of football what the mindset is.

That's not what he implied. He was saying the "x's and o's" are hard to defend. Like he wasn't sure how he'd attack it. And that they had a tough time stopping it in the spring.

Should be interesting!

CU44SE said:
Not trying to be difficult, but isn't this the same thing we heard last year? Everything's always good in the summer, hard to see what it will actually look like until we start playing real games.

No - I was curios about that. He didn't give the O coordinator that much credit for the scheme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom