New Regional Sports Channel for Western NY | Syracusefan.com

New Regional Sports Channel for Western NY

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
MSG to create Western New York RSN in conjunction with Pegula Sports and Entertainment

Last week, we wondered if Western New York was on the brink of a new regional sports network. Well, the questions have now been answered and yes, the channel will have a WNY angle. It will be operated by the current rightsholders, MSG. Both MSG and Buffalo Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula have announced an agreement for the Sabres to remain with MSG and the rights also include programming for the Pegulas’ other team, the Bills. Thus, MSG will brand the channel “MSG Western New York” and will have content produced by Pegula Sports and Entertainment.

According to the official announcement, the network will include Sabres games, Bills programming plus live studio shows:

MSG Networks will also serve as the home to other Pegula Sports and Entertainment programming, which will be branded “MSG Western New York” in recognition of the connection of this programming to Western New York viewers. In addition to Buffalo Sabres hockey, MSG Western New York branded programming will include Buffalo Bills programming such as “The Rex Ryan Show,” “Bills All Access” and “Bills Tonight,” and beginning in the fall, a live block of programming dedicated to the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills.

And Brent Axe of newyorkupstate.com writes that the agreement also includes the simulcast of Bills preseason games not aired nationally. Not only that, the live block will include radio simulcasts:

It would be nice if SU got away from the content access lock that TWC has.

It would be nice if SU got away from the content access lock that TWC has.
Yup. Aligning with a true regional sports network for tier 3 content distribution would be a lot better for Syracuse. Right now, a significant part of the fan base has no ability to access this content because they aren't TW customers. Even if they are, unless they are located in upstate NY, I don't think the exclusive SU stuff is available.

In the old days, when revenue was a big issue, it made sense to go with the big bidder, which TWC presumably was. Now, I think it is more important to go with someone who can offer the biggest distribution. Preferably someone fans have access to throughout the areas Syracuse has strong support (Florida to New England).

I would assume MSG, YES or SNY are the best candidates. MSG has multiple channels with one focusing on upstate NY, so it would seem like the best vehicle to me.

TWC is no more. We'll have to see how Charter deals with with Hess situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom