New Strategy for JB, Coach K? | Syracusefan.com

New Strategy for JB, Coach K?

VaBeachOrFan

2nd String
It's not so much that suddenly everyone thinks Coach Cal is right, but in Syracuse's case, the scholarship limitation might be playing a bigger part in pushing JB to the Dark Side. Coach K admitted he'd rather have players around long enough at Duke to learn good defense, but capitulated to the high talent level he recruited and now has his share of ones-and-dones (along with a championship). JB, though, may be thinking of the devastation that losing more players too early (Grant, Ennis and now McC) will have when the schollies are restricted to 10 and realizing that the Dark Side may be his only chance to field representative teams.

That means no longer recruiting the Keitas and the Fairs and the Scoop Jardines -- letting them redshirt or develop behind other seasoned players. Instead, he appears to be casting the net for high-talent players and assuming they'll bust out in one or two years at best. If you're going to have to go with young players who think they're NBA worthy even when they aren't, then you might as well try for the ones who really are and take your chances with a different mix each year. These "turnstile" rosters seem to be having the effect of causing really good players to remain undeclared longer into the recruiting season, waiting to see who jumps to the pros and where the immediate vacancies will be.

I don't like it, but JB and SU may have no choice but to play that game. With 10 schollies, they're only one injury and a foul-out from being totally bare at a specific position in any given game. I know JB doesn't play a deep bench anyway, but there's a difference between thin and being threadbare.-VBOF

I think our strategy has ALwAYS been to recruit the best players possible. I doubt anyone can prove otherwise.

vJLMGbL.jpg

You think you can tell that our recruiting philosophy has changed due to the sanctions in the 3 months since the sanctions were announced?
I think it's changed for Coach K according to his comments, . . . and K and JB spent a lot of time together on the USA teams, . . . (K even played a 2-3 zone this year!), . . . -- just sayin'-VBOF

I think our strategy has ALwAYS been to recruit the best players possible. I doubt anyone can prove otherwise.

I don't disagree, but the "best players possible" for Syracuse are now top-tier players, and it wasn't always thus. SU has historically made its mark with long-term players -- some of them "5-and-done" redshirts -- who provided maturity and continuity to go with the occasional Melo, Pearl and Owens. The staff has long been noted for finding gems among the overlooked like Pace, Q and Hak. Now, however, they're having to deal with turnover and they're making the best they can of it. I just don't see them going after any "project" players during this 10-schollie period (because they can't afford to), and that's a significant change IMHP. I just say I don't like it because, as a fan and a former journalist, I get attached to those 5-and-dones, watching them develop as players and as people with interesting stories.-VBOF

Last edited:
You think you can tell that our recruiting philosophy has changed due to the sanctions in the 3 months since the sanctions were announced?

Possibly it is a one-time thing, but our recruiting strategy sure has looked different in that 3 months.

We completely bailed on one of our #1 targets (Bryant)
We doubled down on the #1 target for 16 (Battle)
Then we offered two more 5 star players at the same position as that #1 target, at least one of which is well outside our geographical recruiting comfort zone.
Then we sent Hop and JB to an in-home with him.

I am not a recruiting expert like some here, but I pay moderately close attention and to me all of the above is a change in behavior for us.

Possibly it is a one-time thing, but our recruiting strategy sure has looked different in that 3 months.

We completely bailed on one of our #1 targets (Bryant)
We doubled down on the #1 target for 16 (Battle)
Then we offered two more 5 star players at the same position as that #1 target, at least one of which is well outside our geographical recruiting comfort zone.
Then we sent Hop and JB to an in-home with him.

I am not a recruiting expert like some here, but I pay moderately close attention and to me all of the above is a change in behavior for us.

It's Battle's spot to have if he wants it.

??
Not really the point of my post, but also not true anymore. If Simmons calls today and accepts the ship, then Battle is out.

I'd have to believe in that hypothetical, due to SU's longevity in Battle's recruitment, that JB immediately gets on the phone with TB and allows him to commit right then and there...or else... :noidea:

I'd have to believe in that hypothetical, due to SU's longevity in Battle's recruitment, that JB immediately gets on the phone with TB and allows him to commit right then and there...or else... :noidea:

I have no idea how this stuff really works, but I'm not sure how that conversation would go:

Ring Ring
5-Star Elite Recruit Kobi Simmons: "Coach I've decided I want to take my talents to CNY and accept the scholarship offer you made and reiterated in my home earlier this week."
Coach Boeheim: "Ehh, yeah great kid. We'll get back to you on that. I'll tell you what, get with my secretary to set up a meeting next week and we'll chat about where we can see this going."

??
Not really the point of my post, but also not true anymore. If Simmons calls today and accepts the ship, then Battle is out.

I think the point of the in-home visit with Battle and the offers finally out to the other PG prospects let's Battle know that he's still our first choice, but he's on the clock.

??

It would be great to get another true PG.

It would be great to get another true PG.

We only have room for one more guy in 16 though. So it has to be first to commit gets the spot and the other guys are out.

I have no idea how this stuff really works, but I'm not sure how that conversation would go:

Ring Ring
5-Star Elite Recruit Kobi Simmons: "Coach I've decided I want to take my talents to CNY and accept the scholarship offer you made and reiterated in my home earlier this week."
Coach Boeheim: "Ehh, yeah great kid. We'll get back to you on that. I'll tell you what, get with my secretary to set up a meeting next week and we'll chat about where we can see this going."

Come on, this isn't JB's first rodeo. :) Negotiations...or some form of it.

I presume it could easily go like this: That's great Kobi! We are very excited to have you...etc., etc. JB gets off the phone and calls TB to let him know that...it has been a pleasure recruiting and getting to know you and your wonderful family, really wish you had committed to us as we just got a verbal from Kobi. Ha, the leverage has changed a bit, so TB responds...coach, I'm ready to commit right now, I'm giving you my verbal...it's solid. Alright, I'll call back Kobi and let him know that while I was on the phone with him, you were attempting to reach me at the same time and since we've been recruiting you for so long felt compelled to grant your commitment... ;);):):)

I'm not completely sure JB worries about the NCAA limitations. Even before all the announcements, he was telling Battle that there would be room for him at SU. It not only took 2 transfers, it took a change of heart to open the spot. If SU were to get 2 two verbal commitments from such 5* talent, then JB might give them some sort of wait and see response pending on the appeal.

We only have room for one more guy in 16 though. So it has to be first to commit gets the spot and the other guys are out.

TR might make the leap after next season. Maybe someone else. After this season anything is possible.

It would be nice to have at least one 5-star recruit commit one of these years.

After the appeal reduces the scholarship penalty from 3 to 1, there will be room for a big recruiting class.

It's hard to go after the very top recruits if you are on probation as it is.

Our first probation set the program back for years. If John Wallace hand't come, it would have all the more noticeable. But we didn't start getting top classes again for a decade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom