Class of 2023 - New Transfer: Jake Stevens (ON / Culver) Mid / Grad Transfer from Princeton (5/23/23) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 New Transfer: Jake Stevens (ON / Culver) Mid / Grad Transfer from Princeton (5/23/23)

Jake Stevens is a really exciting player for SU to add. I think he brings a toughness that frankly, SU has lacked especially in the midfield. He is a tremendous offensive player but perhaps his greatest contribution to the team next year will be at the face-off x. That's to take nothing away from his offensive game, it's just that he's tremendous as a face-off wing. SU was really not very good at that spot last year, with Aviles (16), Rice (9), Rosa (14 and Murphy (16), the primary face-off wings for SU not even reaching half of what Stevens picked up (35) in terms of groundballs. Comparatively, last year wasn't even a very good year for Stevens, who had 60 in 2019 and 65 in 2022. Not only did SU get a great player, they got a player that fills a gaping hole.

The quality of this video isn't great, but the fact that it even exists is very exciting for SU fans. He's not only good at picking up the ball, but he's a threat to score in transition. He shoots out of the gate like a cannonball, putting pressure all over the defense if he picks it up. Like others have pointed out I don't think he's going to take defensive shifts like a standard SSDM would, but if he gets stuck on defense it also won't be an issue. Just a really great addition to the team.

Lastly, 8 man-up goals last year (Birtwistle and Spallina had 11 and 9 last year). He should take over for Simmons pretty seamlessly on the man-up unit giving the Orange one of the best in the country.

Jake Stevens is a really exciting player for SU to add. I think he brings a toughness that frankly, SU has lacked especially in the midfield. He is a tremendous offensive player but perhaps his greatest contribution to the team next year will be at the face-off x. That's to take nothing away from his offensive game, it's just that he's tremendous as a face-off wing. SU was really not very good at that spot last year, with Aviles (16), Rice (9), Rosa (14 and Murphy (16), the primary face-off wings for SU not even reaching half of what Stevens picked up (35) in terms of groundballs. Comparatively, last year wasn't even a very good year for Stevens, who had 60 in 2019 and 65 in 2022. Not only did SU get a great player, they got a player that fills a gaping hole.

The quality of this video isn't great, but the fact that it even exists is very exciting for SU fans. He's not only good at picking up the ball, but he's a threat to score in transition. He shoots out of the gate like a cannonball, putting pressure all over the defense if he picks it up. Like others have pointed out I don't think he's going to take defensive shifts like a standard SSDM would, but if he gets stuck on defense it also won't be an issue. Just a really great addition to the team.

Lastly, 8 man-up goals last year (Birtwistle and Spallina had 11 and 9 last year). He should take over for Simmons pretty seamlessly on the man-up unit giving the Orange one of the best in the country.
THIS is the missing link to being upper echelon. GROUND BALLS.

he plays in the middle crease on the man-up. Not a big guy, he stands up under the welter of abuse like a much bigger dude, won't be moved, with a stick like a snake's tongue. Princeton is my favorite team apart from SU, so I've watched this guy from his years at Culver. Not quite Conrad, but a reasonable facsimile. And his gb prowess will be a god send.

Last edited:
IMG_3148.jpeg