Next year goal | Syracusefan.com

Next year goal

ACC should be interesting next year -- UVA, Miami, Louisville and UNC lose a lot. Duke brings in a monster recruiting class. If we bring everyone back I don't see why we can't get to Buffalo

This season really underscores what a crapshoot the NCAA tournament really is.

First, we go from a team that often played like butt this season and barely belonged in the tournament to a great great run to the Final Four. We were fortunate to have a manageable path. Maybe the MTSU upset of MSU opened an opportunity that would not have existed had the upset not occurred. Maybe we would have beaten MSU, maybe not...who knows.

Then you see a team like Oklahoma who is supposed to be a pretty strong team a 2 seed and they run into a Villanova team who shoots 71% for the game against them. The performance from Villanova would have beaten any other team in the tournament, and probably would have been enough to take out most teams most years.

Anyway I guess my point is I was thinking this year was great, but assuming Mali and Lydon are back we should be positioned for a better season next year. But even if we have a fantastic season there is no way to project that we will go further than we did this season. And no matter how good you are if you run into a team that has a night like Villanova had last night you are done.

I guess its a long way of saying, enjoy the achievement of this season because it isn't easy to get as far as we did and there is no guarantee no matter what kind of team we have next season that we have success in the tournament.

I watched the 2nd half of the MSU/MTSU game. The better team won. MSU could not stop those guys. They were outclassed as a athletes.
If the pundits would watch the game, and not just look at the uniforms, they might have a clue.

If Richardson comes back, we will be filthy. That defense could be epic.

6-6. 6-6. Up top. 6-9. 6-9. On the wings. 7'2. Center.

Not to mention we'd have two potential lottery picks along with a big time recruit at guard with one and done potential.

The depth would be Howard, Moyer and Coleman not even factoring in a possible Guard grad transfer and the recruitment of PF Thompson.

Mali, Lydon and Roberson gained a national rep with their play in this tourney. The national media now considers these guys "stars". If Mali comes back I expect a top 15 pre-season ranking and a pretty damn good team next year. How good and how far they go depends on how good and how much contribution we get from Chuckwu and Battle. Both will have to play key roles next year. I really hope Mali gets and takes some good advice and returns. I can't see him being more than a 2nd round pick now and he likely would be a definite 1st rounder/top half pick with a better, more consistent year next season. Anyway, this run helps the Syracuse brand and has to help recruiting the next few years though it doesn't always manifest itself immediately.

Next year's team could be very good if everyone returns or downright awful if not. At this point it sounds like Mali may leave and Lydon may stay. If that happens, I think we'd still be in some trouble unless we add some 5th year perimeter talent. Scoring was tough at times this year and could be worse next year, though you'd have to believe the D will be very very good.

Just hope Mal and Lydon return. We don't have the talent or depth to replace them and have a very good year. It'll be tough enough replacing g and Cooney

If Mal leaves, we desperately need a 40%+ 3 point shooter at SG for spacing. Sounds like we're already on that regardless via the grad transfer pool.

If Richardson comes back we are a top ten team for sure, haven't really checked out what the other teams are losing, but its hard to imagine many having the talent that we could have.

First, we go from a team that often played like butt this season and barely belonged in the tournament to a great great run to the Final Four. We were fortunate to have a manageable path. Maybe the MTSU upset of MSU opened an opportunity that would not have existed had the upset not occurred. Maybe we would have beaten MSU, maybe not...who knows.

Then you see a team like Oklahoma who is supposed to be a pretty strong team a 2 seed and they run into a Villanova team who shoots 71% for the game against them. The performance from Villanova would have beaten any other team in the tournament, and probably would have been enough to take out most teams most years.

Anyway I guess my point is I was thinking this year was great, but assuming Mali and Lydon are back we should be positioned for a better season next year. But even if we have a fantastic season there is no way to project that we will go further than we did this season. And no matter how good you are if you run into a team that has a night like Villanova had last night you are done.

I guess its a long way of saying, enjoy the achievement of this season because it isn't easy to get as far as we did and there is no guarantee no matter what kind of team we have next season that we have success in the tournament.
Mike Golic pointed out that you could take these same 68 teams and begin all over again and end up with a very different set in the FF. And to him, that is what is so great about the tourney.

Next year's team could be very good if everyone returns or downright awful if not. At this point it sounds like Mali may leave and Lydon may stay. If that happens, I think we'd still be in some trouble unless we add some 5th year perimeter talent. Scoring was tough at times this year and could be worse next year, though you'd have to believe the D will be very very good.

Just hope Mal and Lydon return. We don't have the talent or depth to replace them and have a very good year. It'll be tough enough replacing g and Cooney
If Mal leaves, look for Howard to start with Battle at the 2G. Biggest problem there is a backup guard.

If everyone comes back the goals are acc Reg season title, acc tournament title, NCAA title.

Basically what UNC is doing this year.

Hey how about Lydon backing up at the 2G. Imagine 6'8" up top on the zone!;)

We could do that at times, but still have to get a transfer, having two guards is asking for trouble.

We would have to grab a transfer.

If we lose Mal and Joseph decided not to return, we could really be in serious trouble?

Buffalo didn't do much for us 2 years ago. But yes, that and NYC would be good. Next year's goial -- win it all.

Buffalo didn't do much for us 2 years ago. But yes, that and NYC would be good. Next year's goial -- win it all.

Our offense didn't do much for us two years ago, it worked well in 2010.

If Mal leaves, look for Howard to start with Battle at the 2G. Biggest problem there is a backup guard.
And our complete lack of outside shooting. We'd need more than a backup guard, we'd need somebody that could score for this team...

All I know is The goal for next years team and fans is to be in buffalo Thursday March 16 and Saturday Mach 18. And in nyc Friday March 24. And Sunday March 26
FWIW, Lunardi was asked on his Twitter if SU has a shot at Buffalo and NYC next year. After acknowledging that the question was the first one from an SU fan in three weeks that did not include an expletive, he said "Yes and Yes".

FWIW, Lunardi was asked on his Twitter if SU has a shot at Buffalo and NYC next year. After acknowledging that the question was the first one from an SU fan in three weeks that did not include an expletive, he said "Yes and Yes".
So basically, no shot at Buffalo or NYC then...

Exactly, we often assume that had Arinze not been injured we win the NC that year or if Fab isn't suspended we do as well. I don't know. In some ways I see this year as a makeup year for one of those 2 years where we had the talent for a FF run and didn't get there.

Shooting is an even bigger problem in that scenario. Defenses will camp out in the paint like they did in 2012-13.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom