NFL ratings plunge could spell doom for traditional TV | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NFL ratings plunge could spell doom for traditional TV

NBC pays the NFL mucho dinero for that Sunday night game, Goodell isn't giving that up.

I don't think it's an over-saturation issue. I truly think people are just not as into the NFL as they once were.

I used to watch games all the time. Head out to the bar with friends for SNF and MNF and when they unveiled it, even TNF. Now I could care less and a lot of my friends are in the same boat. Who's playing tonight? Vikings/Bears? Cool. It's about #10 on my things I'd watch list.

NBC pays the NFL mucho dinero for that Sunday night game, Goodell isn't giving that up.

That's true now, but if ratings continue to dwindle, the TV partners aren't going to be as willing to pony up that much money when they aren't able to recoup it in advertising dollars.

Washington Post had a pretty good article about fan violence .

A quietly escalating issue for NFL: Fan violence ... - Washington Post
Washington Post › redskins › 2016/10/28

Excellent article. Excessive tailgating is behind much of the violence. No disrespect to some of our hardcore folks on the board, but chugging mixed drinks for 3 or 4 hours before a game leads to people being so drunk that they barely remember the game. Being that drunk not only lowers a person's inhibitions, but it also makes you a target for someone who is not as drunk as you.

Thursday night sucks, would much rather watch college with 2 completely different systems go at it.

So much of the NFL looks the same. The people in the crowd pretty much look like people I don't want to be around or my family around. Going to a college game (esp now in the ACC) is a better experience, just the actual game is too long. Being hung over on Mondays suck too.

At least the NFL is more of less done at 3 hours, which is a positive.

Excellent article. Excessive tailgating is behind much of the violence. No disrespect to some of our hardcore folks on the board, but chugging mixed drinks for 3 or 4 hours before a game leads to people being so drunk that they barely remember the game. Being that drunk not only lowers a person's inhibitions, but it also makes you a target for someone who is not as drunk as you.
Buffalo's tailgates are borderline X-rated. You'll have no idea what you just wandered into if you aren't prepared. It's absolute insanity.