NFL Thread | Page 128 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL will never adopt the college OT rules because stats dictate salary/money.
The college OT is great because those stats don't affect money.
Not sure how the NFL could change it anymore than they have.

Could do like they did when they first introduced the new OT rules and had different rules for regular season and postseason. Regular season = the current system so stats aren't inflated.
Post season = change to a college type system (though I'd probably suggest starting much further away than they do in college) so that both teams are guaranteed a chance.

Other idea would be to simply stop counting Overtime stats as part of the individual player's stats if we're so concerned about players reaching contract incentives due to the extra minutes. Overtime stats could be in its own category like how regular season and postseason numbers are split.

Play a full fifth quarter. If you don't want players out there the full 15, agree to a full shorter quarter like basketball. 7-10 minutes. Somewhere around there with a two minute warning and a couple of timeouts for each team.

Honestly my team has lost in OT without touching and winning without the opponent touching it. I think the current OT rules are fine. If your D can't stop a TD it shouldn't extend longer.

In that clip I see two missed penalties on Atlanta.
Sanu pulled on Logan Ryan's face mask and knocked his helmet off and the Atlanta LG has an illegal hands to face on Kyle Van Noy.

And a facemask on New England. Off-setting penalties. 2nd down over. Big missed call. Huge actually. Hard to believe it happened between the two line judges right out in the open.

But, New England was on a roll so...

And a facemask on New England. Off-setting penalties. 2nd down over. Big missed call. Huge actually. Hard to believe it happened between the two line judges right out in the open.

But, New England was on a roll so...
It was 3rd down. Considering Ryan had a hand in his face mask not sure he can be called for that penalty it would have for sure been one of those old inadvertent 5 yard facemasks but for a PF you have to pull and have intent.

It was 3rd down. Considering Ryan had a hand in his face mask not sure he can be called for that penalty it would have for sure been one of those old inadvertent 5 yard facemasks but for a PF you have to pull and have intent.

Right, meant third down (another chance from the 35, not the 45). It was a facemask, off-setting penalties, really inexcusable

But the Patriots were only called for 2 fouls the entire game so makes sense they'd look past this.

Right, meant third down (another chance from the 35, not the 45). It was a facemask, off-setting penalties, really inexcusable

But the Patriots were only called for 2 fouls the entire game so makes sense they'd look past this.
Honestly the Patriots had the ball so much they really couldn't commit defensive penalties.
The OL was getting dominated so they weren't holding.
The Patriots are one of the most disciplined teams don't commit many penalties. The refs weren't one of the top 10 reasons Atlanta lost.

BTW the Browns, Bears, 49ers and Texans are all very interested in trading for Jimmy Garapolio.
I think the Browns if they give up the 12th pick will get him. All those teams will drive the price up.
Pats should cash in Jimmy G.
Get Christian McCaffrey to be the next Edelman slot guy and drive the league nuts.

Why was this tackle (51 in white tackling 45 of Atlanta) on the final plan not called offensive holding?

upload_2017-2-6_13-4-40.png

I know, I know, can't have the refs deciding the game. Except they did. There were a couple other missed holds by Pats receivers on that drive as well. NFL sucks.

Honestly the Patriots had the ball so much they really couldn't commit defensive penalties.
The OL was getting dominated so they weren't holding.
The Patriots are one of the most disciplined teams don't commit many penalties. The refs weren't one of the top 10 reasons Atlanta lost.

I'd say the Refs were Top 3

The Patriots had 4 FDs by penalty that kept the long drives alive, probably worth a 12-18 play swing and 8 min TOP. Tired out the defense.

But agreed the Falcons made egregious errors starting with Ryan thinking he's Michael Vick and the coaches calling passes instead of runs.

It's just so hard to ignore that the Falcons too were called for no offensive/defensive penalties until they built a 14-point lead, then the laundry started flying in favor of the Patriots (THREE Defensive Holdings on that next possession which Brady screwed up with the pick).

Atlanta is in the Top 10 for penalties too but they were called for over 2x the fouls, including no holds on the offensive line. Pretty impressive.

I'd say the Refs were Top 3

The Patriots had 4 FDs by penalty that kept the long drives alive, probably worth a 12-18 play swing and 8 min TOP. Tired out the defense.

But agreed the Falcons made egregious errors starting with Ryan thinking he's Michael Vick and the coaches calling passes instead of runs.

It's just so hard to ignore that the Falcons too were called for no offensive/defensive penalties until they built a 14-point lead, then the laundry started flying in favor of the Patriots (THREE Defensive Holdings on that next possession which Brady screwed up with the pick).

Atlanta is in the Top 10 for penalties too but they were called for over 2x the fouls, including no holds on the offensive line. Pretty impressive.
Whatever man it's all subjective. I am going to enjoy the win. If the refs gave it to New England by next week it will be long forgotten nationally.

If I'm Brady I retire.

Do an analyst gig. Get out while healthy and on top of the NFL world. With the way that game went down yesterday, there's nothing more to accomplish.

You mean the Jr. Senator from Mass?

Why was this tackle (51 in white tackling 45 of Atlanta) on the final plan not called offensive holding?

View attachment 88713

I know, I know, can't have the refs deciding the game. Except they did. There were a couple other missed holds by Pats receivers on that drive as well. NFL sucks.

Did the refs miss calls? I'm sure they did. Probably goes both ways though. It's a different game if that extra point block was called correctly. Can't blame officiating when you blow a 25 point lead IMO.

Did the refs miss calls? I'm sure they did. Probably goes both ways though. It's a different game if that extra point block was called correctly. Can't blame officiating when you blow a 25 point lead IMO.
the 2 pt conversion was the real blown call.. 2 guys downfield blocking, and they called it earlier in the game.

Does the NFL schedule a Super Bowl rematch week 1 next year?
Atlanta goes to New England next year.

the 2 pt conversion was the real blown call.. 2 guys downfield blocking, and they called it earlier in the game.
It was not PI you can block yard 1 from the line look at where the WRs were. They were on the 1. It was legal the ref was right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.