Nick Carparelli | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Nick Carparelli

Also, how much better is the track program now than when we had the track in the Dome? Exponentially.
The track programs are about the same (not very good). They are probably worse than they were. My understanding is that the coaching staff doesn't even bother to recruit athletes for the throwing events anymore.

The cross country programs are the ones that are exponentially better.

sutomcat said:
The track programs are about the same (not very good). They are probably worse than they were. My understanding is that the coaching staff doesn't even bother to recruit athletes for the throwing events anymore. The cross country programs are the ones that are exponentially better.

Didn't the men's indoor team just win an ACC championship?

Didn't the men's indoor team just win an ACC championship?
No, they just finished 9th in the ACC outdoor championship (mens) and 11th (womens).

In February. the men's team did win the ACC indoor championship. The women finished 11th.

No, they just finished 9th in the ACC outdoor championship (mens) and 11th (womens).

In February. the men's team did win the ACC indoor championship. The women finished 11th.
Primed in certain individual categories to do well at Nationals this year. Justin Knight, Freddie Crittendon, etc.

Scooch said:
Thread summary: Lengthy discussions about two people who shouldn't be our next AD.
I'm pretty sure there was one about who "should" be the next AD...

Everyone keeps pointing to spending and giving really general justifications (i.e. bloated bureaucracy). What exactly are you accusing the guy of? For instance, do you think that his coaching staffs were too big? Do you think that we fielded too many sports? Do you think that we had too many secretaries? Where specifically was he spending too much money?

I know I probably sound argumentative, but I really don't mean to be. As I see it, the guy spent money. He built new facilities (which we needed), he changed conferences (which was CLEARLY the right move), he advertised in the city (which apparently worked - see UConn, SJU, Rutgers, and B1G copycat advertisements), and he hired top notch coaches (which apparently worked - see our athletic success - especially this year). Yes, he dipped into the rainy day fund, but that's why it exists - we don't have big local companies that we can lean on. At the end of the day, he brought us way into the black, and that's incredibly rare. Most athletic departments run in the red. I don't think that that stuff could seriously be called reckless spending. The actions that I see seem a lot like prudent investing.

More specifically (because I'm happy with our success in other sports, have no trouble of the number of teams we field, and generally think that the size of coaching staffs isn't inappropriate):

We probably had too many secretaries, because Gross hired too many associate ADs and middle-management types. I can think of about half a dozen people who ran the department under Jake, and Gross went about replacing a number of those individuals with two or three people apiece. A lot of these were superfluous positions for friends, some of whom were flat-out embarrassments to the department and university (here I'm thinking of Joe G-what's-his-face, the guy who was brought in as associate AD for communications, despite the fact that there already existed a whole Athletic Communications Department, and f-ed up everything he touched; people finally took note after the Roosevelt Bowie debacle). Hiring his evidently inexperienced second wife was also inappropriate (and no one I've spoken to says anything positive about her job performance).

Gross also allowed development to wither, pursuing a characteristically big-splash/low-sustainability strategy of wining and dining big spenders without cultivating grassroots donors. He did this, again, with an expanded group of personnel. Not a ton of bang for that buck.

He wasn't detail-oriented (not a huge deal on its face - that's why a departmental director gets to hire and delegate to a ton of people) and this attitude seemed to trickle down to a lot of people in the department. This, and Chancy Nancy's similar approach, resulted in the accounting fiasco

His department screwed up the IPF. I don't have the full inside scoop on who made what promises to whom, but the end result is that SU pissed away about $3,000,000 to demolish the interior of a fairly new track-and-field facility and build a half-assed football/lacrosse/softball field that was obsolete the day it opened and ended up being supplemented by the Ensley building about three years after opening. I won't pretend that Gross wasn't caught in a bad position, with too few donations and an unmet facilities promise to Marrone, but that's why he's the director of the department: to solve those problems in a sustainable way.

He paid too much money to Gary Gait and the tennis coach. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the rest, but when a school the size of Syracuse (or its marketing contractor) is paying ~$700,000 to the head coach of a team that -- no offense -- really doesn't matter (outside of what participation in the sport means to a small group of participants, parents, and alumni), that's necessarily about half a million dollars that could have been used elsewhere to enhance the institution.

For the record, I like Gross. Nice guy, great vision (if a bit self-serving) for our full department, some pretty nice (and unprecedented, really) results. Unfortunately, also a bit scatterbrained and too content to delegate to incompetent people. He was better than Jake in most ways. But now we need to find someone better than he was.

Why will Syracuse guys like Tirico, Thamel and McDonough always endorse a Syracuse guy?

Syracuse alums backing a Syracuse alum.

But I'm likely wrong about Thamel, actually.

More specifically (because I'm happy with our success in other sports, have no trouble of the number of teams we field, and generally think that the size of coaching staffs isn't inappropriate):

We probably had too many secretaries, because Gross hired too many associate ADs and middle-management types. I can think of about half a dozen people who ran the department under Jake, and Gross went about replacing a number of those individuals with two or three people apiece. A lot of these were superfluous positions for friends, some of whom were flat-out embarrassments to the department and university (here I'm thinking of Joe G-what's-his-face, the guy who was brought in as associate AD for communications, despite the fact that there already existed a whole Athletic Communications Department, and f-ed up everything he touched; people finally took note after the Roosevelt Bowie debacle). Hiring his evidently inexperienced second wife was also inappropriate (and no one I've spoken to says anything positive about her job performance).

Gross also allowed development to wither, pursuing a characteristically big-splash/low-sustainability strategy of wining and dining big spenders without cultivating grassroots donors. He did this, again, with an expanded group of personnel. Not a ton of bang for that buck.

He wasn't detail-oriented (not a huge deal on its face - that's why a departmental director gets to hire and delegate to a ton of people) and this attitude seemed to trickle down to a lot of people in the department. This, and Chancy Nancy's similar approach, resulted in the accounting fiasco

His department screwed up the IPF. I don't have the full inside scoop on who made what promises to whom, but the end result is that SU pissed away about $3,000,000 to demolish the interior of a fairly new track-and-field facility and build a half-assed football/lacrosse/softball field that was obsolete the day it opened and ended up being supplemented by the Ensley building about three years after opening. I won't pretend that Gross wasn't caught in a bad position, with too few donations and an unmet facilities promise to Marrone, but that's why he's the director of the department: to solve those problems in a sustainable way.

He paid too much money to Gary Gait and the tennis coach. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the rest, but when a school the size of Syracuse (or its marketing contractor) is paying ~$700,000 to the head coach of a team that -- no offense -- really doesn't matter (outside of what participation in the sport means to a small group of participants, parents, and alumni), that's necessarily about half a million dollars that could have been used elsewhere to enhance the institution.

For the record, I like Gross. Nice guy, great vision (if a bit self-serving) for our full department, some pretty nice (and unprecedented, really) results. Unfortunately, also a bit scatterbrained and too content to delegate to incompetent people. He was better than Jake in most ways. But now we need to find someone better than he was.

You hit on some of the issues. But what some people try to do is to point to capital projects and think that show's good budget management. Those things aren't even part of the AD "budget" for the most part. I'm not even sure how much input he had on some of that stuff. We just approved a large Dome renovation without AD involvement. Most are fundraised before and after approval to move forward. You hit some of the budgeting issues we had that caused us to be in the red several years. For all the good that Gross did do, much of it could have been done more efficiently and cost consciously. Much more.

What other schools besides UC Davis (his alma mater) has he been mentioned with?

FWIW, UC Davis hired their AD yesterday. Some Asst. at Stanford. Even though some of TGD friends out there pushed for him, it appears he wasn't one of the top few candidates targeted.

FWIW, UC Davis hired their AD yesterday. Some Asst. at Stanford. Even though some of TGD friends out there pushed for him, it appears he wasn't one of the top few candidates targeted.
When the NCAA says you are directly responsible for putting your most profitable sport under 5 years of probation, your reputation is ruined. I don't expect Dr Gross will ever be able to get another job in athletics.

I wish him well. He did some great things at Syracuse and it is best to focus on those accomplishments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom