Nick Mariano - A - Transfer from UMASS | Syracusefan.com

Nick Mariano - A - Transfer from UMASS

Per LaxPower. Will be a junior. Lefty attack from UMass/Yorktown. Lead Umass in scoring last year, and was freshmen of the year in that conference. Could be a big pickup.

Good find Max. Not to toot my own horn but I was predicting at least one or two big offensive transfers for SU this offseason and it appears we have our first.

Was just thinking this morning that I was surprised how slow the transfer market had been this summer. If your a high end attackmen or middie this is the year to get a transfer to Syracuse, the next few recruiting classes are so loaded its unlikely SU will take in many transfers barring a Nicky Galasso type situation.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...albany-arlington-connection-continues-y/11665

Yorktown’s Mariano opts for UMass
Being a contributing member of the Yorktown (N.Y.) varsity team as a freshman is a pretty good indication that a Division I future is on the horizon.

The most recent example is junior attackman Nick Mariano, who verbally committed to UMass on Friday.

“I'm an off-ball guy that likes to find openings to shoot,” Mariano, the starting quarterback on Yorktown’s football team, told LaxLessons.com. “My style of play is very unselfish. I always try to find the open guy and a scorer.”

Mariano made unofficial visits to Hofstra, Delaware, Albany, Army and Syracuse as well as UMass.

For more on his commitment, click here.

“I'm an off-ball guy that likes to find openings to shoot,”
“My style of play is very unselfish. I always try to find the open guy and a scorer.”

my head is spinning Nick.

Good find Max. Not to toot my own horn but I was predicting at least one or two big offensive transfers for SU this offseason and it appears we have our first.

Was just thinking this morning that I was surprised how slow the transfer market had been this summer. If your a high end attackmen or middie this is the year to get a transfer to Syracuse, the next few recruiting classes are so loaded its unlikely SU will take in many transfers barring a Nicky Galasso type situation.
th
they use to use this in the " Go Orange" chant

Last edited:

Good call JeremyCuse. I wonder what this means for our potential first attack line for next season. Does this transfer mean that the starting attack could be Evans, Donahue, and Mariano? In keeping with your prediction to add offensive transfers perhaps SU could land a midfielder. I recall you are an advocate for keeping Barber up top.

It would be nice if the Orange could find a takeaway defender but it seems unlikely that there is one available.

Also, we have had a lot of success with Yorktown attackmen over the years and I hope this continues.

Good call JeremyCuse. I wonder what this means for our potential first attack line for next season. Does this transfer mean that the starting attack could be Evans, Donahue, and Mariano? In keeping with your prediction to add offensive transfers perhaps SU could land a midfielder. I recall you are an advocate for keeping Barber up top.

It would be nice if the Orange could find a takeaway defender but it seems unlikely that there is one available.

Syracuse has three high end long poles coming in on defense two of which were UA, not to mention a long pole the staff was high on who redshirted this past year. I think defensively they will be in pretty good shape, though I do worry about the consistency at SSDM.

I think getting Mariano all but ends the discussion about moving Barber to attack. I didnt think it was likely to begin with but this certainly puts it to bed. For SU Barbet fits in best at the Midfield, he will be the #1 guy and a Senior leader on a position that will have a ton of youth save for Westin.

I would have to think that Mariano is probably looking at a starting role. I find it hard to believe he would come here/SU would take him if they didnt plan on him playing a big role. Could be a situation where Syracuse rotates in a 4th guy at attack like they did with Desko/Jameson in 09 and 10.

I think this move puts Evans on notice, if he struggles again there are a number of guys ready to step in with Forkin being the most game ready. Mariano also had a lot of success on man up look for him to slide right in on that unit. I know some people were intrigued by Matt Lane and his size but this move buries him even farther on the depth chart at this point, he will struggle to make the field.

Syracuse has three high end long poles coming in on defense two of which were UA, not to mention a long pole the staff was high on who redshirted this past year. I think defensively they will be in pretty good shape, though I do worry about the consistency at SSDM.

I think getting Mariano all but ends the discussion about moving Barber to attack. I didnt think it was likely to begin with but this certainly puts it to bed. For SU Barbet fits in best at the Midfield, he will be the #1 guy and a Senior leader on a position that will have a ton of youth save for Westin.

I would have to think that Mariano is probably looking at a starting role. I find it hard to believe he would come here/SU would take him if they didnt plan on him playing a big role. Could be a situation where Syracuse rotates in a 4th guy at attack like they did with Desko/Jameson in 09 and 10.

I think this move puts Evans on notice, if he struggles again there are a number of guys ready to step in with Forkin being the most game ready. Mariano also had a lot of success on man up look for him to slide right in on that unit. I know some people were intrigued by Matt Lane and his size but this move buries him even farther on the depth chart at this point, he will struggle to make the field.

Evans game against Marist made it seem like he was ready for prime time. Then he was a complete non factor in the Hopkins game...except for the unfortunate turnover at the midfield line. Barber also has a lot to prove this year. I thought he might have been one of those players that rise to the occasion in the post season. It always felt like in the championship eras we had at least one unexpected player step up during the title run. The second midfield line production was not great in the Hopkins playoff game last year. I am hopeful that Weston can rise up this season. This is going to be an interesting year with so many unproven players. Donahue is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of production returning. Forkin did look good in spurts. Hopefully Lane gains some muscle weight in the off season. It would be great if he could transform into a force.

Still can't believe we lost last year! Nice to have some good lacrosse news on the transfer. It makes me get a little more optimistic for the next season.

This new kid is a lefty just like Dylan. Isn't that an issue? Spreading the field. Especially if Evans becomes the feeder from behind the cage.

This new kid is a lefty just like Dylan. Isn't that an issue? Spreading the field. Especially if Evans becomes the feeder from behind the cage.

Donahue can shoot with either hand, I wouldnt worry to much about it. Depending on how things break out I expect SU to run more then 3 attack this year, they have the numbers and players to mix and match. Donahue is the only one who will never leave the field.

Mariano named MVP Elite division at Vail Shootout, Mullins, Macartney and Eric DeJohn also on the same team

image.jpg
I

image.jpg

Mariano - bottom second from left I think he's #23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online