Class of 2014 - Nile Sykes, LB (IL) Offered | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Nile Sykes, LB (IL) Offered

Someone might want to tell him "So" comes before "Sy" in the alphabet. South Florida, then Syracuse...

Yea - He's got SU this weekend, then ND the following weekend.

Looks like we're trailing on Sykes at this point. Hope the staff can make some magic happen this weekend if he makes it here.

Looks like we're trailing on Sykes at this point. Hope the staff can make some magic happen this weekend if he makes it here.

Just curious but why do you think we're trailing, just because ND has offered? I agree that it will be very hard to beat out both Mizzou and ND, but I haven't seen where we were definitely trailing...

Just curious but why do you think we're trailing, just because ND has offered? I agree that it will be very hard to beat out both Mizzou and ND, but I haven't seen where we were definitely trailing...

He must make that assumption because the kid doesn't know when his flight gets in :rolleyes:

Everything's pretty even at this point from what i've heard and read. Let's see what happens this weekend.

My comment is made based upon Sykes interviews and quotes, quotes from his mother, and that our staff has gotten more interested in "back-up" LB options after the ND offer to Sykes. I haven't heard him say he definitely won't come here i just think we're trailing. The I don't know my flight itinerary comment by him just spurred me on to comment.
I think this guy is a gamechanger and hope i'm wrong just think its an uphill climb at this point.

My comment is made based upon Sykes interviews and quotes, quotes from his mother, and that our staff has gotten more interested in "back-up" LB options after the ND offer to Sykes. I haven't heard him say he definitely won't come here i just think we're trailing. The I don't know my flight itinerary comment by him just spurred me on to comment.
I think this guy is a gamechanger and hope i'm wrong just think its an uphill climb at this point.

I think that's more evident on the CB side of things, we're involved with kids that are committed to MAC programs right now as back up options from the looks of it, but on the LB side, the newest name was Jaboree Williams who I think we'd take regardless of what Sykes does, he's that good a prospect. His name is only coming up now because of the Wake Forest coaching situation. Opportunity knocked in that case. Think of him as a replacement for Cabinda moreso than anything else - similar size and similar prospect.

Thomas may be a qualifying issue - but I think we'd take him too regardless as well, again too good a prospect to pass up.

The Johnson kid is the one that intrigues me, I'm not sure where he falls - if he is a true back up option or if he's a take regardless type of kid too.

I think it's obvious we are fighting an uphill battle against Mizzou, and ND, but we are far from out of it. We will know exactly where we stand after his visit this weekend. Literally make or break.

As for other LB options, I think Thomas grades are going to be OK. Oklahoma wouldn't be recruiting him if there was a concern of him not qualifying. Plus he has picked up other offers since then. I'd say there is a very good chance we will qualify.

Johnson may be the last LB option at this point. Sounds like he is ours if we want him, but have to assume he falls behind Sykes, Thomas, Williams, and Bentley at this point.

I have no idea who’s a better player but Jab Williams in my opinion is an AList kid not insurance to Sykes. His film is impressive and hes doing it in south florida. Heck I don’t think they are being recruited to play the same position anyways so its probably not accuarate to compare them. But the newspapers in Florida had Williams as a preseason top Broward County prospect. Sun Sentinel had him #7 and the Miami Herald #14. Go look at all the players he was rated ahead of. It seems he didn’t do anything during the season to change that opinion even though his team was mediocre.

His offer list alone is pretty darn good. In May when he picked Wake the Sun Sentinel said he had offers from Wisconsin, South Florida, West Virginia, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Illinois, FAU, Cincinnati, Boston College among others.

Made the Miami NIKE All Camp Team. This is Miami so think about that for a second. (Ishmael was also on the All Camp Team)

LB: Jaboree Williams, 6-0, 204, Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Breakdown: Williams probably had the best all-around day for the LBs at this camp. Exceptional in all drills, individual periods, matchups/1on1s, and skelly. Definitely a leader by the energy he brings and by the example he sets. Really like his ability to accelerate when changing direction.

Also was the overall MVP of the VTO Sports Prep 100 camp in Tampa.

The top linebacker prospect on hand Sunday was Jaboree Williams (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.). The 6-foot-0, 205-pound fluid prospect has continued to pick offers this spring with two more BCS Conference programs jumping into the picture last week.

Williams excelled in coverage throughout the five-hour camp. He was fluid in his drops, and showed quality ball skills, sure hands and timing.

Last edited:
If Williams were a couple inches taller he'd probably have a boatload of offers. Nice film and smooth athlete.

AlmightySy ‏@Ninth__Cloud 1h
Just landed in Syracuse with my boy Chris Slayton NY stand up !

Everybody has arrived in Syracuse...Cordell, Niles, Chris, Jaboree and AJ.

talk about 2 huge targets. i guess that answers my question if they are friends or not

AlmightySy ‏@Ninth__Cloud 1h
Just landed in Syracuse with my boy Chris Slayton NY stand up !

Everybody has arrived in Syracuse...Cordell, Niles, Chris, Jaboree and AJ.

So now that they are all in town, how many can we expect to verbal within the next week?