No Bowl Game | Syracusefan.com

No Bowl Game

If our star player skips a NON PLAYOFF bowl game, how do you feel?

• Happy for him

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Angry with him

Votes: 32 29.6%
  • It sucks, but I understand

Votes: 63 58.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UnknownOrange

2023 Cali Award Winner Points Scored
Fast foward to [insert year here] - Syracuse is 7-5 and about to play in the [insert corporately sponsored bowl game] and our star QB/RB/ or WR, [insert that player], is sitting out to prepare for the NFL draft.

What do you make of it?

Do you agree with him? Blame him?

What are your thoughts on LF or CM?

I believe a trend is starting - and I really can't blame either one of them.

Not "angry," but disappointed and opposed.

Bad message to send. We've all got obligations in life. Some are dangerous, dull, or unpleasant, but we do them. Playing in a bowl game falls into that category for a healthy football player whose team gets a bid.

Last edited:
I have no issue with it. Now if we were 11-0 and playing in the playoffs and they sit the game, that is a completely different story. But sitting out a random bowl game is up to the player. If they tear a ligament or break a leg or suffer a major injury in that inconsequential bowl game future livelihood could be severely impacted.

Do we get angry when players leave a year early? No, usually we agree with it from both a financial perspective and a health perspective.

This. Ezekiel Elliot tweeted out yesterday he'd 'give anything to put on that scarlet and grey one more time' ---- you mean other than your entire senior year? Lol.

I have a problem with it. Bowl games generate revenue and prestige for the school and the conference. Sit out the bowl game and you are basically not completing your end of the contract. Pull the scholarship for the rest of the year, don't want to play? Fine then you pay. It's pretty simple in my mind. Bowl games are part of the season, bowl results affect coach retention rates, just ask P, if not for Calvin Johson and that Champs bowl we might have an entirely different history over the past decade. Imagine if CJ sat out that game?

I have no issue with it. Now if we were 11-0 and playing in the playoffs and they sit the game, that is a completely different story. But sitting out a random bowl game is up to the player. If they tear a ligament or break a leg or suffer a major injury in that inconsequential bowl game future livelihood could be severely impacted.
They could injure themselves in the weight room, risk is part of the game. This is very selfish to the guys who aren't sitting out and want to finish that season that EVERYONE has worked so hard for.

Do we get angry when players leave a year early? No, usually we agree with it from both a financial perspective and a health perspective.

Leaving a year early is one thing. Leaving before the season is over is another thing. All I ask is that the player completes the entire season. If you're ok with a player leaving 12 games into a 13 game season, are you also ok with him leaving 7 games into it?

Players don't leave early in the middle of the season. They complete their contract for that year first. Scholarships are year to year. Finish what you start.

Players don't leave early in the middle of the season. They complete their contract for that year first. Scholarships are year to year. Finish what you start.

And don't put personal goals ahead of team goals.

Sorry guys... I'm one of the 3% going to the league. Sucks to be you!

I have a problem with it. Bowl games generate revenue and prestige for the school and the conference. Sit out the bowl game and you are basically not completing your end of the contract. Pull the scholarship for the rest of the year, don't want to play? Fine then you pay. It's pretty simple in my mind. Bowl games are part of the season, bowl results affect coach retention rates, just ask P, if not for Calvin Johson and that Champs bowl we might have an entirely different history over the past decade. Imagine if CJ sat out that game?
Yea, pull the scholarship... that's the ticket!

Schools tend to be proud of having their football & basketball players drafted. They, and their fans, also like to hear college affiliations mentioned when NFL lineups are introduced. Using your model, if a top ranked SU player were to opt out of the Belk Bowl, you'd pull Johnny Unitas' scholarship. When Johnny plays in the NFL he'll claim to be from St. Justin's high school causing people to wonder what his problem was at SU. Then they!ll realize that Gomer Pyle pulled his scholarship.

was Amba sitting out if we went bowling? Someone should ask him the hypothetical. He would seem to gain zero after that amazing Pitt game.

was Amba sitting out if we went bowling? Someone should ask him the hypothetical. He would seem to gain zero after that amazing Pitt game.
We'll have to see if he declines his invitation to the Senior Bowl.

That assumes that it's a "fair" contract.

Leaving a year early is one thing. Leaving before the season is over is another thing. All I ask is that the player completes the entire season. If you're ok with a player leaving 12 games into a 13 game season, are you also ok with him leaving 7 games into it?

:)

I can see it both ways but it definitely is getting in the way of it being a "team" game.

When something is essentially a multi-billion dollar a year business, e.g. CFB, and the participants are, on the whole, treated as a commodity, this is what happens. The whole loyalty thing? GT$O with that crap. There's no loyalty, there's performance. Don't perform, you get cut.

No wonder star players clear out as soon as they can.

Last edited:
I don't get it. Why would you play all season long and then decide to not play in the most important game of the season?

Why bother to play at all? Or why not play 6 games and stop there? Or play 10 games and stop?

This is America and people should be able to do what they want. But as a fan of a team, will I be mad if star players do not play in a bowl game?

Yes. I would be mad if the coach decided to sit the bowl game out. I would be mad if Otto decided not to participate too.

Bowl games are already a rip off for fans, and a money loser for many schools. The bowl system is already sick and was hurt a lot by the advent of playoff games.

This is another nail in the coffin for killing many of the bowl games. Maybe it isn't so bad. A lot of mediocre teams go bowling and a lot of the games are so poorly played that they are painful to watch. But I feel for the fans who spend $150 for a ticket, $800 on airfare and $800 on a hotel, then find out that the best players on their team aren't going to bother to play.

When something is essentially a multi-billion dollar a year business, e.g. CFB, and the participants are, on the whole, treated as a commodity, this is what happens. The whole loyalty thing? GT$O with that crap. There's no loyalty, there's performance. Don't perform, you get cut.

No wonder star players clear out as soon as they can.
If it's the playoffs that's one thing. Everything else is another thing.

Here's another factor - McCaffery missed time this year due to injury - what if he tore his ACL in the bowl game?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom