" No Movement No screens, standing around" | Syracusefan.com

" No Movement No screens, standing around"

The next quote was "Standing around hoping is not going to generate offense."

Sounds like Corey Alexander has been watching the same thing we've been watching for several years now.

The next quote was "Standing around hoping is not going to generate offense."

Sounds like Corey Alexander has been watching the same thing we've been watching for several years now.
Its crazy he didnt play Braswell. No excuse for not giving him some run. Marek needs to either play the 5 or sit. You cant play him and Sid at the same time. Simply cant do it as neither one has any O at all.

Yeah -- it's easily the biggest takeaway. I actually thought we had more movement than last year, which is saying something since we had very little movement. But the bottom line is we won't beat anyone dribbling the ball. We had 15 in the second half -- two were a busted play that led to an edwards jumper that hit the back iron but bounced in; two were a long rebound that Marek did a nice job boxing out and Carey wound up with an easy layup, two were Marek hustling for a board and a bucket.

Anyway, point is the only points i can remember coming from sort of actual offensive set were Hughes two threes (I'm pretty sure he had two) and the backdoor where he got fouled made one of his two free throws. For a half, we had three possessions that yielded something positive in terms of an offensive play. That's bad, I think.

Its crazy he didnt play Braswell. No excuse for not giving him some run. Marek needs to either play the 5 or sit. You cant play him and Sid at the same time. Simply cant do it as neither one has any O at all.
It’s wild that everyone on this board knew you can’t play Dolezaj at the 4 with Sidibe at the 5, yet JB not only did that, but upped the ante by throwing Carey into that craptastic mix.

Not sure I disagree on the Marek/Sidibe point but Marek does have offensive value. As absurd as this statement is, 4 points has him as one of our most productive players tonight. He also had a couple assists and 10 of our 28 rebounds (not including a great pin down that led to Carey getting an offensive board and bucket). That said, Braswell getting a few minutes when you're searching for answers seems like a pretty logical suggestion.

I'm not sure it's true that Marek doesn't have any O. It certainly is true of Sid.

We set matador screens on and off the ball. How is that not obvious to the staff. Plant your feet and out a body on someone. We can't get anything clean because we aren't setting anything remotely close to a real screen.
If you listen closely, you can usually hear a high pitch shriek before they bail on the screen

We set matador screens on and off the ball. How is that not obvious to the staff. Plant your feet and out a body on someone. We can't get anything clean because we aren't setting anything remotely close to a real screen.

But we also never hit the guy who slips the screen. That compounds the issue. We had some guys open after setting a screen and then cutting. Not sure that would have put us at 60 but might have at least allowed us to hang in the game with a couple more buckets.

After watching a football team where linebackers and defensive backs don't want to tackle and offensive linemen don't want to block, it is really depressing to move on to another sport in which players don't want to be physical enough to set a proper screen.

Yeah -- it's easily the biggest takeaway. I actually thought we had more movement than last year, which is saying something since we had very little movement. But the bottom line is we won't beat anyone dribbling the ball. We had 15 in the second half -- two were a busted play that led to an edwards jumper that hit the back iron but bounced in; two were a long rebound that Marek did a nice job boxing out and Carey wound up with an easy layup, two were Marek hustling for a board and a bucket.

Anyway, point is the only points i can remember coming from sort of actual offensive set were Hughes two threes (I'm pretty sure he had two) and the backdoor where he got fouled made one of his two free throws. For a half, we had three possessions that yielded something positive in terms of an offensive play. That's bad, I think.
Jim has never been an innovative offensive coach. He has always relied on superior talent to score vs X and Os. He simply runs one base offense and hopes that his players can create. Defense is his thing. The Zone is his calling card.

If you listen closely, you can usually hear a high pitch shriek before they bail on the screen
55-30678-02-22-16-high-pitch-erik-in-small-exercise-shirt-2-1456163123.jpg

Jim has never been an innovative offensive coach. He has always relied on superior talent to score vs X and Os. He simply runs one base offense and hopes that his players can create. Defense is his thing. The Zone is his calling card.

I pretty much agree though we've done more in some years at times. But something tells me this team will just need to try and shoot it's way to enough points to win. Gonna be tough.

Everything one-on-one. It's like they never practiced together before. I see better screening, cutting, and ball movement in pickup games

And...our offense became Buddy and Hughes just tossing them up from Liverpool. That, is not a college offense.
We dont have an offense in the traditional sense. We dont even screen off the ball. I dont think that we have any set plays for our Centers. UVA was over playing the perimeter all night and we didnt have a single back cut. I dont think Jim called a single TO. Hopefully something changes or its going to be Ugly this year in league play.

My unborn first child could get around the screens we do set. our bigs are charmin soft.

Agreed. We have no plan when the screener’s defender flashes hard to the ball handler allowing the screener to be open. This would require an x-y-z type passing scheme with the screener being an adequate ball handler and passer to help us burn the double team on the pick and roll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom