Not sold on Cooney on offense , shaky potatoes. I dont think | Syracusefan.com

Not sold on Cooney on offense , shaky potatoes. I dont think

Status
Not open for further replies.

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
his shot warrants him as a starter but he is what we have, I expect to see more and more Gbinje. Cooney just doesn't look confident out there

I hope you're wrong in your expectation. I think Cooney's potential as a shooter will be invaluable to the team this year. Gbinije is a far superior athlete but doesn't have the high ceiling as a shooter that Cooney has.

his shot warrants him as a starter but he is what we have, I expect to see more and more Gbinje. Cooney just doesn't look confident out there

That doesn't jibe with what I've seen / read / heard about with his performance these first two exhibitions.

I hope you're wrong in your expectation. I think Cooney's potential as a shooter will be invaluable to the team this year. Gbinije is a far superior athlete but doesn't have the high ceiling as a shooter that Cooney has.

I don't agree that Gbinije is a far superior athlete. Cooney is pretty explosive.

Bottom line: we need both of these guys to play to their capabilities this year to have the season we are capable of. And both are largely unproven sophomores, so it is definitely a question mark entering the season.

It is a mixed bag. Cooney looks fine as a shooter when he can get some space & can square up. With Ennis, Grant, CJ and some improvements from the center spot, Cooney does not have to do a lot, other than take shots when he does have some space. He will always occupy a defender. But he isn't a great passer and does not look like he will be making drive moves to the basket.

Have to see how this will work against better teams, playing man defense.

We will see a lot of Gbinije anyway.

Gbinije to me looks tentative. Though I believe (hope) once he gains more confidence (and becomes un-tentative) he's going to be a heck of a player.

Cooney looks fine to me (not great) but decent. A far cry from all the ranting around here about him not even being a D1 player. He clearly belongs on the court.

My main worry is now MG. I never expected offense, but now we are seeing too many bad passes and turnovers, all against inferior competition.

My question is how much of a fall off do we have in the backcourt. Hard to replace MCW and Triche. I think Cooney will shoot it better than Triche from the outside, but we lose a lot on the rebounding, defense and going to the rim side of things. It will be really hard to replace MCW on defense that will be a big drop off, IMO. I think Ennis will be better in the half court, probably a better shooter but not be able to create his shot or score off of steals like MCW.

Hopefully the front court improvement evens it all out. Southerland helped us win a number of games last year and we cant replace his shooting but should be better on defense and rebounding.

It is a mixed bag. Cooney looks fine as a shooter when he can get some space & can square up. With Ennis, Grant, CJ and some improvements from the center spot, Cooney does not have to do a lot, other than take shots when he does have some space. He will always occupy a defender. But he isn't a great passer and does not look like he will be making drive moves to the basket.

Have to see how this will work against better teams, playing man defense.

We will see a lot of Gbinije anyway.
Agree. Cooney is a catch and shoot only guy. He is virtually no threat to drive to the rim. He will look OK against the pre conference cupcakes but my fear is he will be exposed by ACC teams when he can't get a lot of space and time to get his shots off. We'll see. MG is not a scorer from what we've seen so far. The 2G spot is this team's Achilles heel.

My question is how much of a fall off do we have in the backcourt. Hard to replace MCW and Triche. I think Cooney will shoot it better than Triche from the outside, but we lose a lot on the rebounding, defense and going to the rim side of things. It will be really hard to replace MCW on defense that will be a big drop off, IMO. I think Ennis will be better in the half court, probably a better shooter but not be able to create his shot or score off of steals like MCW.

Hopefully the front court improvement evens it all out. Southerland helped us win a number of games last year and we cant replace his shooting but should be better on defense and rebounding.

I think people are underestimating Ennis' abilities in transition. He has a sneaky fast 2nd gear and an ability to finish in a variety of ways. He doesn't play above the rim like MCW could but TE is very crafty on the break and what I would call, "sneaky fast."

Last edited:
Cooney is 6 for 13 from 3 in 2 exhibitions, and looks confident shooting the ball. MG can barely hold onto the ball and isn't aggressive on offense. I can see Cooney having big games for us this year, not so sure about mg. Also Trevor showed last year he can get to the rim, he's a much more complete player than mg at this point.

Cooney on d is far from a loss from last year. If anything we are losing rebounding and length at guard while gaining better shooting. I think its far too early to be shooting down hope with cooney. He isnt going to shoot 75 pct every game or 50 pct for that matter. In these games both he and ennis havent played as many minutes as they will in bigger games.

I missed the game, but Cooney will have a few games this year where he scores 20+ on 6-9 threes, and also have some games where he scores less than 5 points on 0-6 from three. Such is life of streaky shooters.

Are you guys watching the same Cooney I am? He seems majorly improved this year and the dude is a ball of energy whenever he is out there. His D is also very solid. MG is worrying me thus far as he seems to not have the "it" factor. Time will tell. I predict Trveor is going to have a breakout year and be like that dude from baylor last year, the scrappy little white one :p

This whole team concerns me if we are talking about shooting! This team is reminding me of the Jason Hart lead 1997 team that went 19-13 and didn't make the tourney. From the 2 exhibitions, I see a lot of talent but a lot of young talent and I'm hoping CJ and another 1 or 2 players step up and lead the team.

Listen Cooney has a lot of potential and I think Ennis will be a star. But MCW is a solid NBA player, Sutherland is playing in the NBA and Triche was close to making the league. I think Ennis will play in NBA but probably be at SU for 2-3 years. Cooney will play pro ball but in Europe. Backcourt is still above average especially at point, but we don't have a backup PG and may be streaky at the other guard. We are absolutely loaded at F and C this year with talent and depth, lots of NBA players (Fair, Grant, Roberson and BJ) XMAS and Coleman definitely have a chance at the League. Keita is a great college player but don't see him having a shot at the NBA.

Listen Cooney has a lot of potential and I think Ennis will be a star. But MCW is a solid NBA player, Sutherland is playing in the NBA and Triche was close to making the league. I think Ennis will play in NBA but probably be at SU for 2-3 years. Cooney will play pro ball but in Europe. Backcourt is still above average especially at point, but we don't have a backup PG and may be streaky at the other guard. We are absolutely loaded at F and C this year with talent and depth, lots of NBA players (Fair, Grant, Roberson and BJ) XMAS and Coleman definitely have a chance at the League. Keita is a great college player but don't see him having a shot at the NBA.

he did it last night at least once

OP did you watch either exhibition?

Cooney is going to be fine, I think again our problem will be finding the 3rd guard to spell Ennis and Cooney. Hopefully Mike G will come around because we all knowhe can play, just needs to get accustomed to guard. Cooney will win us at least a few games. I see him breaking 20 points a handful of times.

I'm not sure how much you can take away from either of these scrimmages when the line ups are jumbled at best and the disbursement of minutes is equally out of whack. Regular season can't start soon enough.

you can say that again.

I wish MikeG had shaky potatoes as well . . . . . . . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom