not trying to rag on moe neal here, just talking about this year | Syracusefan.com

not trying to rag on moe neal here, just talking about this year

Millhouse

Living Legend
cfbstats has him running 3 times on third down for 4 yards

i know we have plenty of runs where there's nowhere to go and I know that's a small sample but i just don't think he's ready for playing time yet

22 rushes for 60 yards against FBS

2.5 yards per carry since his first long td

8 carries for 9 yards inside the other team's 40. might explain some of the scoring issues

he has a bright future, he is just too small to be a running back right now.

cfbstats has him running 3 times on third down for 4 yards

i know we have plenty of runs where there's nowhere to go and I know that's a small sample but i just don't think he's ready for playing time yet

22 rushes for 60 yards against FBS

2.5 yards per carry since his first long td

8 carries for 9 yards inside the other team's 40. might explain some of the scoring issues

he has a bright future, he is just too small to be a running back right now.

Concur. Move him to slot, Strickland to safety. Fredericks as number 1. Pick up a RB on the waiver wire next year to go with our new recruits.

He should still be able to contribute, situationally, get him out in open space.

Trying to make him grind between the tackles on 3rd and short just doesn't seem like the greatest use of resources.

Clearly the staff has reason Fredericks is not playing, I'll side with Dino on this and not the board coaches. Clearly Mo Neal is not the answer for inside 3rd down runs. Strickland will be fine it's his FIRST year getting lots of carries and he does all the "small" things the coaches want RB's to do in this offense.

My guess is a less than ideal work ethic/conditioning as a contributing factor...especially with the pace of coach's O.

He will be heading to a new home. Kid was all world in hs did well last year. I dont think this has anything to do with talent smarts conditioning or effort.

He will be heading to a new home. Kid was all world in hs did well last year. I dont think this has anything to do with talent smarts conditioning or effort.
Then why leave? Was he asked to leave?

Then what is it do you think?

Concur. Move him to slot, Strickland to safety. Fredericks as number 1. Pick up a RB on the waiver wire next year to go with our new recruits.

Agree Shaw would have been a beast as a frosh at rb. Trickle, domino effect here. Strick is a good sized safety, moe belongs in the slot! Fredericks , when in shape is our #1 rb, excellent combo of speed, wiggle, and some power.

Is this speculation or is this based on some actual knowledge of the situation?

Anyone looking at this team right now can pretty much tell that Moe Neal and Sean Riley should be redshirting. Neither is physically ready. They both have speed/shiftiness but their lack of physical strength (due to development, i doubt it will be a long-term issue) definitely impacts their effectiveness.

Fredericks is a mature back and had a good freshman season last year. If I had to guess, from the coaches' perspective, the upside of having Moe Neal and Strickland out there for the totality of the offense is greater than any marginal improvement on the ground that Fredericks provides specifically with his running ability. Since this has been so murky (no known academic or behavioral issues, conditioning maybe but he doesn't look like say AAM his soph/junior years), that's my best guess from a logic perspective.

Anyone looking at this team right now can pretty much tell that Moe Neal and Sean Riley should be redshirting. Neither is physically ready. They both have speed/shiftiness but their lack of physical strength (due to development, i doubt it will be a long-term issue) definitely impacts their effectiveness.

Fredericks is a mature back and had a good freshman season last year. If I had to guess, from the coaches' perspective, the upside of having Moe Neal and Strickland out there for the totality of the offense is greater than any marginal improvement on the ground that Fredericks provides. Since this has been so murky (no known academic or behavioral issues, conditioning maybe but he doesn't look like say AAM his soph/junior years), that's my best guess from a logic perspective.

They should rotate him into a few series then, honestly.

They should rotate him into a few series then, honestly.

And that is precisely why I think it has more to do with installation of this offense and getting the repetitive nature of it down more than anything.

Moe completely misread one play. Ran into the pile when one little cut would had him running for a td. Lack of vision? Looking for a hole where non existed. Strickland same all day running into a gap filled by dl and linebacker when next gap over wide open. It's not like they are flying full speed into the hole that never is open. Saw the play/game from the end zone.

I want to be super careful here because I don't have knowledge of what's happening and don't want to speculate in a way that could reflect poorly on a player's character if it isn't merited -

Babers was clear that a) the way they do S&C is extremely important to him and b) he wasn't going to base his player evaluation on last year's film. The players that bought in would be rewarded with PT.

It's not crazy to think that maybe some guys had an expectation despite that that their success last season would guarantee them snaps going forward, and maybe didn't follow through on the S&C in the way one would hope. So now we're left with players that are limited seeing game time in favor of potentially more effective but less committed players.

It would be easy to say to just play the better player, but that's short-sighted thinking, and I don't think that's what Babers is about. He can't undermine his own message.

Now again, I'm not saying that this is what happened with Fredericks. Just looking at the situation, where the staff is favoring a guy showing in games that he's not quite ready over a guy that had a pretty good year last season, there must be a bigger picture reason for that.

Or, maybe this staff just sucks at evaluating running backs. I don't know.

I want to be super careful here because I don't have knowledge of what's happening and don't want to speculate in a way that could reflect poorly on a player's character if it isn't merited -

Babers was clear that a) the way they do S&C is extremely important to him and b) he wasn't going to base his player evaluation on last year's film. The players that bought in would be rewarded with PT.

It's not crazy to think that maybe some guys had an expectation despite that that their success last season would guarantee them snaps going forward, and maybe didn't follow through on the S&C in the way one would hope. So now we're left with players that are limited seeing game time in favor of potentially more effective but less committed players.

It would be easy to say to just play the better player, but that's short-sighted thinking, and I don't think that's what Babers is about. He can't undermine his own message.

Now again, I'm not saying that this is what happened with Fredericks. Just looking at the situation, where the staff is favoring a guy showing in games that he's not quite ready over a guy that had a pretty good year last season, there must be a bigger picture reason for that.

Or, maybe this staff just sucks at evaluating running backs. I don't know.
Fair enough...but he's not even sniffing the field. You'd hope that whatever regression occurred would be corrected by now. Is it an attitude thing? Curiouser and curiouser...

Fair enough...but he's not even sniffing the field. You'd hope that whatever regression occurred would be corrected by now. Is it an attitude thing? Curiouser and curiouser...
If he's in craptacular shape maybe it hasn't been corrected.

Again, I'm not saying that's the case, just saying it's one of the few things that kinda makes sense.

its weird how Neal always seems to get subbed in on a series that ends up with him needing a 3rd and short.

A couple potential explanations for Fredricks' absence include inability to block effectively and/or poor hands out of the backfield.

I haven't seen him in enough situations to know but it is not always just about the running. We absolutely need our backs to be effective blockers this year. Fredricks could have a great attitude and work ethnic but just not be there yet in some facets of his game.

Haven't seen much that I can second guess with Babers so he deserves the benefit of the doubt from me I think.

SUFan44 said:
We disagree on a few things, but we're 100% in agreement with this.

Something must have happened internally to have forced this to become an issue. I thought he was by far our most promising RB last year.

I feel like last year there was some talk that he is a gamer and the production didn't show as well in practice but he was killing it in games. Remember Dino claimed to have watched zero 2015 film and only assess players in his practice maybe that was a poor choice.

My theory, oversized adrenal gland ;) GAAAAAME DAAAY OOOOOH YEEEAAAAH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom