not trying to rag on moe neal here, just talking about this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

not trying to rag on moe neal here, just talking about this year

Regarding Mo I think he needs to be used as more of an off tackle / jet sweep guy with that speed until he can develop the body to take the punishment of frequent inside runs. This would make the inside runs he did more effective / less expected also.

RE: Jim Brown Babers said, if you average 4 ypc you're gonna play a lot; if you average 4.5 you're a starter. Jordan Fredericks has averaged 6.1 in the few carries he's gotten and he's the only back on the roster who hasn't been thrown for a loss. Production in games either means something or it doesn't.

He will be heading to a new home. Kid was all world in hs did well last year. I dont think this has anything to do with talent smarts conditioning or effort.

Do you know this or is this a guess, because it's written as if you know it.

A couple potential explanations for Fredricks' absence include inability to block effectively and/or poor hands out of the backfield.

I haven't seen him in enough situations to know but it is not always just about the running. We absolutely need our backs to be effective blockers this year. Fredricks could have a great attitude and work ethnic but just not be there yet in some facets of his game.

Haven't seen much that I can second guess with Babers so he deserves the benefit of the doubt from me I think.
So Moe Neal plays ahead of Fredericks because he's a superior blocker?

He will be heading to a new home. Kid was all world in hs did well last year. I dont think this has anything to do with talent smarts conditioning or effort.
All due respect but multiple posters in this thread have asked whether this is your opinion or something you can cite as fact, and you have yet to respond. So which is it?

Last edited:
A couple potential explanations for Fredricks' absence include inability to block effectively and/or poor hands out of the backfield.

I haven't seen him in enough situations to know but it is not always just about the running. We absolutely need our backs to be effective blockers this year. Fredricks could have a great attitude and work ethnic but just not be there yet in some facets of his game.

Haven't seen much that I can second guess with Babers so he deserves the benefit of the doubt from me I think.
how good a blocker can neal possibly be?

my guess is that he felt like he needed to make an example of someone about commitment to conditioning
If that's the case, he may not be the only one. There are a few players that used to play a lot that aren't seeing the field now.

RE: Jim Brown Babers said, if you average 4 ypc you're gonna play a lot; if you average 4.5 you're a starter. Jordan Fredericks has averaged 6.1 in the few carries he's gotten and he's the only back on the roster who hasn't been thrown for a loss. Production in games either means something or it doesn't.

I absolutely hate that mind set. Sure in the NFL those numbers are good but they stink in college. Using a minimum of 100 carries the 60th best RB last year averaged 5.62 per carry. IMO anything under 5 ypc for your starting RB should be unacceptable.

If that's the case, he may not be the only one. There are a few players that used to play a lot that aren't seeing the field now.
Yeah, he isn't alone. The pool of Shaf's guys that don't seem to have a place in Dino's world include Morgan, Scissum, Cornelius, Moore and Parris in addition to Fredericks. Happens with every coaching change, but Jordan seems to fill an unmet need of a running back with some thump.