Orangeyes Daily Articles for Saturday - Notre Dame Pregame Articles and Videos | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Saturday Notre Dame Pregame Articles and Videos

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse lacrosse's Kevin Rice says road to No. 1 seed in postseason runs through Notre Dame (video) (PS: Mink)

Kevin Rice's famous words in the preseason set the bar for this unbeaten and top-ranked Syracuse lacrosse team.

It has been six years since the Orange last won a national title, the longest such drought since Syracuse captured its first title in 1983. But Rice declared 2015 to be a championship or bust-type season, and the team's 7-0 start has done nothing to temper those expectations.

"That's sort of the nature of what you're getting yourself into when you come to Syracuse," Rice said. "Expectations are always high.

---

Syracuse lacrosse coach John Desko did not further address Hayes McGinley's status after more details surfaced about his recent arrest.

"I've already made my comments on that," Desko said Tuesday afternoon.

Head coaches Scott Shafer, John Desko discuss Daryl Gross stepping down as director of athletics, provide glimpse into future (DO: Schneidman)

Desko, who has been at SU for all 10 years Gross was director of athletics, said Gross has been great for Syracuse lacrosse.

The men’s lacrosse team was the only SU sports team to win national championships — which it did twice in 2008 and 2009 — in Gross’ tenure as director of athletics.

“I’ve gotten along with him very well so, you know, happy to have that time with him,” Desko said, “… and happy that he’s going to be staying with the university in a different position.”

When asked what he’s looking for in the next athletic director, Desko laughed and simply said one who supports the lacrosse program.

But both head coaches didn’t look too far into the future regarding a new athletic director, both citing their team’s next obligation as their main area of focus.

“I haven’t really thought about it, we’re thinking about Notre Dame right now,” Desko said.

Syracuse lacrosse coach John Desko on pro-faceoff colleagues: 'I guess I'll go along with them right now' (PS: Bailey)

-97c4fef57502e49e.JPG

Syracuse Lacrosse: The Notre Dame Preview (Nunes)

Syracuse will visit Notre Dame on Saturday for its third ACC game and a coveted #1 vs. #2 matchup. The Irish sit at 5-1 after blanking Ohio State last week, while the Orange remain undefeated through seven games. This weekend's game may be a preview of the ACC Championship game, or even the National Championship...

Before you ask that's Ben Willams #37, Scott Firman #25 and Cal Paduda #41