Now that Dino is solid lets time to close | Syracusefan.com

Now that Dino is solid lets time to close

kcsu

Living Legend
Is this the first year our football team out recruits our basketball program?

If we can land a stud db dt to close i would argue football had a better year. Bball missed on every top target.

Football had a better year, it's not really even arguable. Tommy and Fagan.

Football had a better year, it's not really even arguable. Tommy and Fagan.
That's incredibly relative. A down recruiting year for Syracuse basketball isn't bringing a bunch of 5'11" dudes that don't fit the system. Getting Devito and Fagan isn't a good year for football because we landed players who may actually cut it in the ACC.

That's incredibly relative. A down recruiting year for Syracuse basketball isn't bringing a bunch of 5'11" dudes that don't fit the system. Getting Devito and Fagan isn't a good year for football because we landed players who may actually cut it in the ACC.

Agree. The equivalent of the hoops team landing, say, Carmelo, would be the football team being rated as Top 10 on all the recruiting sites.

It's apples and coffee cups (as I look around me for anything that's not an apple).

Fagan cuts it for LSU/SEC etc. and DeVito's a Elite 11 7 on 7 MVP, not to mention the impressive WR's. I'd say just calling them ACC calibre is underselling them. Also keeping in mind the types of players our system requires, I think Babers first year overachieved while basketball is very much underachieving. Recruitment hopefully isn't over for bball though.

Edit:

However, I am making this comparison in respect to where each program is. Just think footballs recruiting is much more positive than basketball's right now. Basketball obviously still recruits a higher level.

Follow all the the coaches twitter and see who they are following. They are absolutely everywhere and doing everything possible to close out this class. While they are hitting lots of positions TE seems to be a huge priority right now and as everyone knows for good reason.

Fagan cuts it for LSU/SEC etc. and DeVito's a Elite 11 7 on 7 MVP, not to mention the impressive WR's. I'd say just calling them ACC calibre is underselling them.
That's my point. We don't have much ACC talent, especially on defense. So getting anything that resembles that seems to be a coupe.

Wait, what?

Wait, what?
You can't say that Syracuse football is having a better recruiting year than Syracuse basketball. Yes, hoops missed out on many big name guys. But they still recruited quality players, and there's a good sense of how they will fit. Football isn't as clear, even with the notable names like Fagan and Devito.

Therefore, it's relative.

Not fair to compare apples to apples.

Devito & Fagan are 2/25th's of a recruiting class.

Since our basketball class is going to be right around 6 players this year, they wouldn't even represent one person within this class. They'd represent about 1/4 of a person, each.

Meaning we'd need to get two more at the level of those two to get what would amount to one "top" recruit that Syracuse basketball would get. And then, I'd argue, that the kid from Canada is of that same quality.

"Now that Dino's solid". Cute.
Ever pondered a career in "fake news"? You missed your calling.:rolleyes:

Holy ad hominem attack Batman...a coach is always in play...you just don't know.

Anyone remember our Coach For Life leaving on the first NFL offer?

If Dino was getting offered the same money Rhule got , which is like 3x his current salary , I'm shocked and a little disconcerted that he didn't take the offer .

Holy ad hominem attack Batman...a coach is always in play...you just don't know.

Agreed, and I doubt anyone is denying that Babers is/was & will continue to be a name that's thrown around during searches.
However, the OP has acknowledged that he likes to "encourage debate", aka "throw shet against the wall and see what sticks", even against all evidence to the contrary. It's a way to raise a fanbase's blood pressure just to get a reaction, i.e.; trolling. Personally not a fan of such, but that's just MHO.

Marrone left to pursue his first NFL HC opportunity after his 4 year contract was up after turning a 10-37 program into a 25-25 program.

Babers is in his first P5 coaching year and went 4-8 with a team that went 4-8 last year. He's on a 6 year contract with a pretty significant buyout.

Situations aren't exactly similar.

That being said, I'm certain search firms reached out to Syracuse to see if Babers was even a possibility to toss on a list as a name. That happening and him having a firm offer or even wanting to leave are two completely different universes. The threads and posts this OP was posting over on the football board and even the title of this one - he deserves whatever flak he gets.

Last edited:
Why? Because he doesn't believe that money is everything? Maybe he morally wouldn't feel comfortable working at Baylor?
I think the second point has some validity .

what's disconcerting?
Yeah, lets say that happened, wouldn't that mean he really likes being at Syracuse, and/or things are really bad at Baylor. Not sure why that's "bad," for us.

Why? Because he doesn't believe that money is everything? Maybe he morally wouldn't feel comfortable working at Baylor?

I was once told DFB makes $2.4 million but OX corrected me stating he makes $2.5 mil. Plus he has significant buyout on top of that.

$2.5 to $3.0 mil at Baylor would be the right amount if Baylor didn't have the baggage it came with. That was my concern all along - they would have to pay up a lot to bring in someone like DFB. I would assume high $3s to low $4s and most likely an extended contract beyond a typical 5 year deal. I suspect Rhule is close to $4 mil with that 7 year contract (probably includes incentives for bowl appearances) would be my guess.

Morally? DFB would go into Baylor and morally fix it - seems like he likes to go places that need fixing just like he did for SU. This was a lot closer than many thought on this Board.

If DFB starts to recruit top 25 classes, he will stay a long time but SU will need to up the ante to $4 mil. That's what the going rate is for a top 25 coach.

You can't say that Syracuse football is having a better recruiting year than Syracuse basketball. Yes, hoops missed out on many big name guys. But they still recruited quality players, and there's a good sense of how they will fit. Football isn't as clear, even with the notable names like Fagan and Devito.

Therefore, it's relative.
Agree it's just tough to compare and the two programs are in very different spots. You just threw me with the 5'11" guys making up the class and Devito and Fagan are meaningless (liberally paraphrazing) flavor...just didn't (still don't) get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom