Now that the dust has settled | Syracusefan.com

Now that the dust has settled

anomander

Living Legend
There really isn't anything good that came out of last night. This quite easily could have been the most disappointing performance I have ever seen from a Syracuse Football team. We finally get to the point where we feel we have turned the corner, and are back to being a real Football program and then last night happened. I feel part of the uproar and avalanche of negativity came from the expectations we had going into the season. I finally felt we got back to the level where we could compete talent wise with everyone on our schedule minus FSU and Clemson. There is absolutely no excuse for what happened last night. None! You had all off-season to get prepared for that team, and had absolutely no reason not to be fired up to play opening the season in your building. Our coaching staff was thoroughly exposed. I was skeptical going into the season, but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt being it their first seasons here, breaking in a new qb, and any other excuse I could come up with. Well unfortunately last night proved that we are rarely going to be able to out scheme the opponent. I really don't think this is an overreaction either. In 2012, with far less overall talent, I had confidence in every single game we went into. We may not win, but I felt we had a chance in every single game because we were most likely going to out scheme you. There was a plan going into each game, and then there were adjustments. That didn't happen last year, and it certainly didn't happen last night. I also don't want to hear about how Villanova is good. Sure they are good, and even better coached, but still we have absolutely no excuse for not winning by multiple td's. To a man our offensive line had 50lbs on the man in front of them. Nova's db's and wr's were tiny. They really only had 1 player, their qb. Unlike other sports having an advantage in the coaching box is arguably more important then having the advantage on the field. So while our talent has increased there has been a significant downgrade in the coaching. I can't even imagine what would have happened if we did not get that fake fg. The fact alone that it was called was alarming. You do not go for a fake FG at home with an OL that is 50lbs bigger to a man on the 4 inch line. If you can't pump that in with distance and that situation then you don't deserve to win. Hell we didn't deserve to win anyways.

I guess what I am trying to say is I am extremely disappointed. Honestly I didn't find any joy in the win. Disappointed, depressed, dumbfounded, and dreadful round out my feelings. Bare minimum this team is talented enough to win 6 games, but with that performance we'd be lucky to eek out 3.

Finally this is a critical year for us. We cannot afford a slip up. I really hope Shafer, his coordinators, and the players figure it out real quick or it could get really ugly.

Last edited:
Not so small a sample size anymore; our positional coaches are a weakness, they do not game plan well and can't adjust in game either... For God's sake Rutgers has Ralph Friedgen running their Offense! I would kill for that...
My bright spot of the game: Ron Thompson

There really isn't anything good that came out of last night. This quite easily could have been the most disappointing performance I have ever seen from a Syracuse Football team. We finally get to the point where we feel we have turned the corner, and are back to being a real Football program and then last night happened. Part of the uproar and avalanche of negativity has come from hope. I finally felt we got back to the level where we could compete talent wise with everyone on our schedule minus FSU and Clemson. There is absolutely no excuse for what happened last night. None! You had all excited to get prepared for that team, and had absolutely no reason not to be fired up to play opening up your season at home. Our coaching staff was thoroughly exposed. I was skeptical going into the season, but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt being it their first seasons here, breaking in a new qb, and any other excuse I could come up with. Well unfortunately last night proved that we are rarely going to be able to out scheme the opponent. I really don't think this is an overreaction either. In 2012, with far less overall talent, I had confidence in every single game we went into. We may not win, but I felt we had a chance in every single game because we were most likely going to out scheme you. There was a plan going into each game, and then there were adjustments. That didn't happen last year, and it certainly didn't happen last night. I also don't want to hear about how Villanova is good. Sure they are good, and even better coached, but still we have absolutely no excuse for not winning by multiple td's. To a man our offensive line had 50lbs on the man in front of them. Nova's db's and wr's were tiny. They really only had 1 player, their qb. Unlike other sports having an advantage in the coaching box is arguably more important then having the advantage on the field. So while our talent has increased there has been a significant downgrade in the coaching. I can't even imagine what would have happened if we did not get that fake fg. The fact alone that it was called was alarming. You do not go for a fake FG at home with an OL that is 50lbs bigger to a man on the 4 inch line. If you can't pump that in with distance and that situation then you don't deserve to win. Hell we didn't deserve to win anyways.

I guess what I am trying to say is I am extremely disappointed. Honestly I didn't find any joy in the win. Disappointed, depressed, dumbfounded, and dreadful round out my feelings. Bare minimum this team is talented enough to win 6 games, but with that performance we'd be lucky to eek out 3.

Finally this is a critical year for us. We cannot afford a slip up. I really hope Shafer, his coordinators, and the players figure it out real quick or it could get really ugly.

Good post Ano, pretty much agree with everthing you posted. To be honest I wasn't surprised by how poorly SU played, I was surprised we didnt win the game outright by at least 10 but this game had all the hallmarks of a classic Syracuse letdown performance. The D line was as bad as feared and two positions I thought would be strengths the Oline and D line were absolutely abysmal. Shaf needs to take a bigger role in calling the Defense and its clear that Mcdonald is in way over his head this offense looks like a redux of Pariani. Lester needs to start working with him again. This team is in major trouble if there isnt major improvement in two weeks. This coming bye is a god send we need a ton of work.

There really isn't anything good that came out of last night. This quite easily could have been the most disappointing performance I have ever seen from a Syracuse Football team. We finally get to the point where we feel we have turned the corner, and are back to being a real Football program and then last night happened. Part of the uproar and avalanche of negativity has come from hope. I finally felt we got back to the level where we could compete talent wise with everyone on our schedule minus FSU and Clemson. There is absolutely no excuse for what happened last night. None! You had all excited to get prepared for that team, and had absolutely no reason not to be fired up to play opening up your season at home. Our coaching staff was thoroughly exposed. I was skeptical going into the season, but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt being it their first seasons here, breaking in a new qb, and any other excuse I could come up with. Well unfortunately last night proved that we are rarely going to be able to out scheme the opponent. I really don't think this is an overreaction either. In 2012, with far less overall talent, I had confidence in every single game we went into. We may not win, but I felt we had a chance in every single game because we were most likely going to out scheme you. There was a plan going into each game, and then there were adjustments. That didn't happen last year, and it certainly didn't happen last night. I also don't want to hear about how Villanova is good. Sure they are good, and even better coached, but still we have absolutely no excuse for not winning by multiple td's. To a man our offensive line had 50lbs on the man in front of them. Nova's db's and wr's were tiny. They really only had 1 player, their qb. Unlike other sports having an advantage in the coaching box is arguably more important then having the advantage on the field. So while our talent has increased there has been a significant downgrade in the coaching. I can't even imagine what would have happened if we did not get that fake fg. The fact alone that it was called was alarming. You do not go for a fake FG at home with an OL that is 50lbs bigger to a man on the 4 inch line. If you can't pump that in with distance and that situation then you don't deserve to win. Hell we didn't deserve to win anyways.

Turn that frown upside down gloomy Gus. It's over with. Yes it was stressful but we still won. Would you rather be ranked in the top 25 and lose to and fcs school at home? I wouldn't. That would be far worse than last night IMO. Ask Michigan.

Turn that frown upside down gloomy Gus. It's over with. Yes it was stressful but we still won. Would you rather be ranked in the top 25 and lose to and fcs school at home? I wouldn't. That would be far worse than last night IMO. Ask Michigan.

I'm not worrired about Michigan I am worried about Syracuse. We won, but that's the only positive that came out of last night. All that work you put in throughout the year is for a measly 12 games, you cannot afford to waste your opportunities.

I'm not worrired about Michigan I am worried about Syracuse. We won, but that's the only positive that came out of last night. All that work you put in throughout the year is for a measly 12 games, you cannot afford to waste your opportunities.

We have two more weeks till directional Michigan. My point is it could be worse. We have work to do and I am missing some hair from my head currently. It's a bit patchy this morning. We are gonna be fine.

One thing I've learned is NEVER judge a team by one game. I'm not saying your wrong but as we saw last night anything can happen during the course of one game. There so many unexpected events that can occur. So I would advise not making any judgements just yet.

People lets at least not be Rutgers fans and try to spin that horrific performance. The only positive is that Nova blew a win and we took advantage.

Step off the ledge. Let the season play out a few games before making blanket assessments about the team and coaching staff. It was one game and a very strange one at that. Of course I am not oblivious to the issues from last nights game. I was there and we look real slow without a lot of big hitters. Offensively, its the same song and dance. We didnt stretch the field and its harder to run without a legit deep passing game. The OL obviosly had issues although much could be attributed to key injuries. Some people are just going way to far with the sky is falling assessments. We havent immediately dropped below our peer schools because of last night. Btw, getting the win while in the jaws of a loss was huge and can't be understated. We can still go 3-0 and this game will be forgotten nationally if it hasn't already been forgotten today with all the underdogs hanging in games including FCS teams.

In my reality being at the game with my two sons (ages 9 and 7) who don't understand fully that Villanova is a level below SU, it was an unbelievable game to watch and they are hooked for good now. The excitement in the Dome was pretty electric at times. I couldnt wrap my brain around how we won until the ride home. I know a loss would've been crippling to the season. We got two weeks and our starting QB back to fix it and move on. As Al Davis is often quoted as saying, "Just win baby. "

nail on head

the win inspires zero confidence for the rest of the season. the fake field goal was shameful. to call that at home against an fcs on the one foot line is a joke. I thought the most disappointing position of many was the OL. I mean that was beyond pathetic for a group with that much experience going against an fcs DL. the hiring of Adam is really questionable at this point and will continue to be unless something hopefully changes.

Step off the ledge. Let the season play out a few games before making blanket assessments about the team and coaching staff. It was one game and a very strange one at that. Of course I am not oblivious to the issues from last nights game. I was there and we look real slow without a lot of big hitters. Offensively, its the same song and dance. We didnt stretch the field and its harder to run without a legit deep passing game. The OL obviosly had issues although much could be attributed to key injuries. Some people are just going way to far with the sky is falling assessments. We havent immediately dropped below our peer schools because of last night. Btw, getting the win while in the jaws of a loss was huge and can't be understated. We can still go 3-0 and this game will be forgotten nationally if it hasn't already been forgotten today with all the underdogs hanging in games including FCS teams.

In my reality being at the game with my two sons (ages 9 and 7) who don't understand fully that Villanova is a level below SU, it was an unbelievable game to watch and they are hooked for good now. The excitement in the Dome was pretty electric at times. I couldnt wrap my brain around how we won until the ride home. I know a loss would've been crippling to the season. We got two weeks and our starting QB back to fix it and move on. As Al Davis is often quoted as saying, "Just win baby. "

My blanket assessments factored in last season as well.

I'm wrestling with deciding who was worse -- offensive or defensive line? Games are won in the trenches. We were exposed.

Scary part about it to me was on offense they kept subbing the rb out so no one could get in a rhythm on d I just don't know how you can't make an adjustment and stop their qb from getting 5 yes a carry. And a game like that Wayne Williams couldn't have helped?

I specifically remember your meltdown last season after the PSU game. I understand you have to play your contrarian role though.
I did meltdown after ga Tech game because I travelled down there to see that mess. I thought they played ok after penn st, I am sure I had a few things to say but I would love to see you produce that meltdown, I doubt it existed. I would look but I am at the races in Saratoga. Calling it the worst performance by a Syracuse team ever? How long have you been a fan? 2 years

I have melted down plenty but not feeling your post, sorry dude

I did meltdown after ga Tech game because I travelled down there to see that mess. I thought they played ok after penn st, I am sure I had a few things to say but I would love to see you produce that meltdown, I doubt it existed. I would look but I am at the races in Saratoga. Calling it the worst performance by a Syracuse team ever? How long have you been a fan? 2 years

You don't have to feel the post it's all good. In the history of the board I am sure there have been very few posts where everyone agrees. And I didn't say it was the worst performance ever, I said it was the most disappointing. Big difference.

I wish people would not waste electrons with the old homilies of "too soon to judge", "its only one game" etc. Of course, we all know that, but all we can go on is what we see on the field. There are plenty of reasons, excuses and rationalizations to go around. The reality is that we did not coach or play very well. We had many negative surprises and very fee positive ones.

The football gods gave us one and it is now up to the team to take advantage of the gift.

You don't have to feel the post it's all good. In the history of the board I am sure there have been very few posts where everyone agrees. And I didn't say it was the worst performance ever, I said it was the most disappointing. Big difference.

Last night was, in my opinion, was very disappointing giving the hype/hope the offseason seemed to sow in the fan base - I had higher expectations. But I distinctly remember the hype around GROB and his little train that could - that was pretty darn disappointing on so many levels. I don't think Shafer, et al, will bring us to that level and have to think the team will improve and back to hardnosed football.

Considering the level of competition and the fact it was the season opener, this game was far worse than GA Tech

My blanket assessments factored in last season as well.

Ano - here is the crux of your assessment that I agree with. My assessment is that this coaching staff has an extremely difficult time thinking outside the box of their game plan due to their lack of experience. I actually think they can game plan well with a week or two having film to study - then it becomes a plan of X&Os. However, the best way to beat Syracuse is to run plays that SU doesn't expect or planned for - they don't know how to make adjustments.

Thinking back to the GT game, the whole first half defensive strategy wasn't working and they should have switched back to their normal defense - as a "back up" defensive plan. But no - "we have to stick to our game plan" because they weren't experienced enough to have a back up plan. We all know the result. Same thing happened with our offense and OC last year.

Great experienced game planners in any business also build in what if scenarios - going back to the GT game - they should have had multiple defensive plans in case their main game plan didn't work - another sign of the lack of experience and lack of skill in planning. Here is where I know FHCDM excelled - I know this for a fact as I saw first hand his game planning and techniques and what-if scenarios - we even talked about this and he stated that this was his best strength in the game of football - he also computerized his "play book" while at SU - saw that firsthand too.

Collectively the 3 top coaches have what - 3 total years of experience in their respective jobs? I rest my case. Unfortunately - until our top 3 coaches learn how to "plan for the unexpected" we will very rarely, if ever, get to the next level.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom