NY Post Rightly Hammers SU | Syracusefan.com

NY Post Rightly Hammers SU

Col. Bleep

All American
For those horrible football uniforms. Let's hope there's nothing similar coming for basketball.
From Phil Mushnick's column today:

"Those hideous non-orange, Nike-designed-and-delivered uniforms worn by the Syracuse Orange against Notre Dame on ABC/ESPN on Saturday night, were the latest evidence that colleges, from the presidents on down, will sell anything, including their great traditions.

Speaking of greed, Notre Dame-Syracuse from PSL Stadium was not originally scheduled as a night game. But humans can’t compete with TV money. No shame, no foul."

http://nypost.com/2014/09/29/tv-networks-snare-us-all-with-nonsense/

Well, at least someone was watching the game. They should have seen the all blues with the white helmet. I thought I was watching a pop warner team.

Actually, I like the grey unis with orange helmet the best of our uni combos so far.

Well, at least someone was watching the game. They should have seen the all blues with the white helmet. I thought I was watching a pop warner team.

Actually, I like the grey unis with orange helmet the best of our uni combos so far.

Agreed. I expected not to like them, but they were pretty cool. The helmets were freaking awesome. Would prefer to substitute more orange for some of the navy blue accents, but oh well. Otherwise, I thought that this was a pretty sweet uniform combo--wouldn't mind seeing more of it, despite Saturday's outcome.

Unis I thought were pretty cool. Awesome would be a stretch, imo, but they were pretty hip. Agree on the helmets. They are more like copper but still pretty sweet. Contrary to the article, the unis might have been the only positive thing coming from the game. Most recruits and younger kids do care about unis for better or worse.

Those uniforms looked like old dirty warm up sweats. The Post was right on.

Uniforms should not be gimmicks. They are part of our brand and you can't have a brand with umpty ump color changes, especially when your official name and color is ORANGE.

We are becoming an object of ridicule and I don't like it one bit. This as bound to happen.

Shafer - when in command - command.

Put a winning team out on the gridiron and all the uniform chatter becomes totally insignificant.
Great and we can change the official name and color then as well. We could be the Swooshes or the Nikes, or the blues, or grays, or whites, or simply the Syracuse Confused.

If there was no S on the helmets you might have thought Georgetown was fielding a football team.

The grey unis were flat out terrible. Grey anything is not cool, almost by definition. The helmets were sick, though.

My favorite combo so far was the white helmet, white jersey, white pants get-up. I think the orange helmets with the white-on-white would look nice too.

We need more orange in our home unis. I've yet to see a home uniform this year that I like. I'm okay with not wearing orange jerseys, but can we please stop looking like Illinois with the excessive amount of blue? Again though, the blue faded to orange helmets are awesome.

Edit: btw, apparently Illinois uniforms are more orange than ours. They actually possess orange jerseys!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
helmets were nice the rest sucked. epic failure nike

I have it on high authority that:

• Nike is lobbying our BoT and chancellor to officially change our team color to gray...uniforms are the vehicle to force the issue
  • Oklahoma will be joining the BiG...imminently
  • Marsh will have PBR in the Dome by 2017
  • JoeCollege prefers younger sheep
One of these is very true, the others are red herrings.

Agreed. I expected not to like them, but they were pretty cool. The helmets were freaking awesome. Would prefer to substitute more orange for some of the navy blue accents, but oh well. Otherwise, I thought that this was a pretty sweet uniform combo--wouldn't mind seeing more of it, despite Saturday's outcome.

I liked the helmets and loved the 8 PM start - plenty of time for a proper tailgate.

Hated the Gray on Gray.

ND's helmets are awesome.

I have it on high authority that:

• Nike is lobbying our BoT and chancellor to officially change our team color to gray...uniforms are the vehicle to force the issue
  • Oklahoma will be joining the BiG...imminently
  • Marsh will have PBR in the Dome by 2017
  • JoeCollege prefers younger sheep
One of these is very true, the others are red herrings.
Got to believe in Marsh and PBR. It's rumored that he will soon have a distributorship. :D

Put a winning team out on the gridiron and all the uniform chatter becomes totally insignificant.
Must be why FSU is changing their uniforms just a few games into this season. SU's problem isn't a lack of winning or even the fanbase. The problem stems from the leadership not respecting our tradition and school color and from a lack of big donors to push the issue.

Those uniforms looked like old dirty warm up sweats. The Post was right on.

Uniforms should not be gimmicks. They are part of our brand and you can't have a brand with umpty ump color changes, especially when your official name and color is ORANGE.

We are becoming an object of ridicule and I don't like it one bit. This as bound to happen.

Shafer - when in command - command.

I agree.
I am fairly traditional and I thought the numbers were hard to see.
Also I love the color ORANGE.

Us fans can debate until we are blue in the face. But the number of articles or opinions on TV that we have seen week after week that mock our uniforms is FAR more than I have ever seen for any team. Not good from a perception standpoint and branding. Tells me we are failing.

We are the Orange. Brand the school name and color. Get the freaking Orange pants and helmets back.

For those horrible football uniforms. Let's hope there's nothing similar coming for basketball.
From Phil Mushnick's column today:

"Those hideous non-orange, Nike-designed-and-delivered uniforms worn by the Syracuse Orange against Notre Dame on ABC/ESPN on Saturday night, were the latest evidence that colleges, from the presidents on down, will sell anything, including their great traditions.

Speaking of greed, Notre Dame-Syracuse from PSL Stadium was not originally scheduled as a night game. But humans can’t compete with TV money. No shame, no foul."

http://nypost.com/2014/09/29/tv-networks-snare-us-all-with-nonsense/

Mushnick is a cranky old man who hates everything, though. That's his whole schtick.

rrlbees said:
Us fans can debate until we are blue in the face. But the number of articles or opinions on TV that we have seen week after week that mock our uniforms is FAR more than I have ever seen for any team. Not good from a perception standpoint and branding. Tells me we are failing.

We are the Orange. Brand the school name and color. Get the freaking Orange pants and helmets back.

Mushnick has been on this issue for years. If he had his way everything would be the same as it was in 1930.

http://deadspin.com/5938243/phil-mushnick-has-a-theory-on-why-so-many-teams-have-black-uniforms