O-line play was scary bad... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

O-line play was scary bad...

qdawgg said:
I see it more as an extension from last year. Things that were concerning to start the year and continued throughout the season still seem to be logical concerns, even if it's just a glorified practice.

Well sure. But it's a different offense, it was just installed, it was one game, 2 players that played are gone, etc.

I'm not saying we saw something great or that we should think the problems from last year are solved - I'm saying its too early to tell anything at all.

What is the story with Burton? I thought Palmer did OK also at tackle, but would rather see him at guard L to R Foy, Palmer, Trudo, Robinson and Mcgloster/Burton/would not have a problem with a freshman winning RT spot. I think most of our talent is at guard Burton, Mcgloster, projects and Ward can't get into shape. Never been impressed with Lasker at any position.

To me it looked like we kept the blocking schemes to a very limited level...nothing really complicated.

We will know more after the Wake game as i don't think we will show much of a hand against R. I.

Well sure. But it's a different offense, it was just installed, it was one game, 2 players that played are gone, etc.

I'm not saying we saw something great or that we should think the problems from last year are solved - I'm saying its too early to tell anything at all.

I get what you're saying but to me, where we saw the biggest concerns were things that should be the least impacted by a new offense. Dropped passes, offensive line unable to get any push, RB play. I liked the scheme itself, it was at least better thought out than what we saw last year. So the scheme wasn't an issue for me.

I'm more worried about what seems like a regression by level of play. Instead of the O-line improving each year, it doesn't seem to be. We saw WR's drop passes last year, we saw even more dropped in what was supposed to be a scrimmage. A situation where dropped passes shouldn't be a concern. We have, what I think are potentially talented RB's that aren't showing a lot of playmaking skill. Not even showing what RB's have shown in previous years with less talent, which nationwide we would have considered to be pretty pedestrian in comparison to RB's at other schools.

That's why I'm worried by what I see is just a continuation. When Marrone was here I didn't get all bent out of shape by the spring practices because we were at least seemingly making progress. I'm just not seeing the progress. I do hope that I'm very very wrong.

Can't knock on the OL yet. This spring practice set-up was not in the best interest for the team. I did not like that after 7 practices the players were let go for spring break. After break they were back at it for 7 more practices and the spring game/practice. I am sure those first 2 practices back the players were probably still "out of whack" from spring break shenanigans!

I can not believe that the OL could gel in this new offensive scheme in such a short and spread out time period, especially the new terminology with blocking assignments. Also take into account some players were at class instead of practice, and at least Trudo was out with injury.

Now, if they still look confused or disorganized after summer camp and during the Rhode Island game, then maybe it might be time to worry. I say might as it will be the first test against a different defense.
To me it looked like we kept the blocking schemes to a very limited level...nothing really complicated.

We will know more after the Wake game as i don't think we will show much of a hand against R. I.
I'm just trying to keep track of when I can worry. Is it Rhode Island? Wake Forest?

I'm kidding of course. I hope.

qdawgg said:
I get what you're saying but to me, where we saw the biggest concerns were things that should be the least impacted by a new offense. Dropped passes, offensive line unable to get any push, RB play. I liked the scheme itself, it was at least better thought out than what we saw last year. So the scheme wasn't an issue for me. I'm more worried about what seems like a regression by level of play. Instead of the O-line improving each year, it doesn't seem to be. We saw WR's drop passes last year, we saw even more dropped in what was supposed to be a scrimmage. A situation where dropped passes shouldn't be a concern. We have, what I think are potentially talented RB's that aren't showing a lot of playmaking skill. Not even showing what RB's have shown in previous years with less talent, which nationwide we would have considered to be pretty pedestrian in comparison to RB's at other schools. That's why I'm worried by what I see is just a continuation. When Marrone was here I didn't get all bent out of shape by the spring practices because we were at least seemingly making progress. I'm just not seeing the progress. I do hope that I'm very very wrong.

I'm right there with you on offensive line play. It was a concern and nothing we saw on Sat helped that. But I don't think we have enough info to say one way or another if it will be a worry in Sept.

Dropped passes don't worry me. Reps and experience for all the young guys. I hope Strickland comes in and really pushes at RB. He could be very good.

I'm right there with you on offensive line play. It was a concern and nothing we saw on Sat helped that. But I don't think we have enough info to say one way or another if it will be a worry in Sept.

Dropped passes don't worry me. Reps and experience for all the young guys. I hope Strickland comes in and really pushes at RB. He could be very good.

I just don't get the dropped passes. That can be corrected for sure, so is it worry necessarily? No, as long as it's not an issue during the season but it was an issue at times last season. That's my main concern. In defense of the WR's, there were at least 2 passes that hit the WR in the hands and they were subsequently hit by a defender and dropped the ball. So not the same as dropping TD passes when wide open at a key point in the game last year (AB).

I hope we get Washington :D but Strickland does look like he could be good too.

qdawgg said:
I just don't get the dropped passes. That can be corrected for sure, so is it worry necessarily? No, as long as it's not an issue during the season but it was an issue at times last season. That's my main concern. In defense of the WR's, there were at least 2 passes that hit the WR in the hands and they were subsequently hit by a defender and dropped the ball. So not the same as dropping TD passes when wide open at a key point in the game last year (AB). I hope we get Washington :D but Strickland does look like he could be good too.

All teams have dropped passes. The amount we had on Sat was alarming - but on the whole, it's rare to have a season full of them. It's just not something I tend to worry about.

Even when they were healthy they didn't look that good. I guess we will see this year.
When they were h withy they were giving up less than one sack per game. They were among the best in the country for the first half of the season.

I don't like what Palmer said at all, that concerns me. That said d I don't believe you can draw any legit conclusions about any unit from one practice in April. So stop trying !

I just don't get the dropped passes. That can be corrected for sure, so is it worry necessarily? No, as long as it's not an issue during the season but it was an issue at times last season. That's my main concern. In defense of the WR's, there were at least 2 passes that hit the WR in the hands and they were subsequently hit by a defender and dropped the ball. So not the same as dropping TD passes when wide open at a key point in the game last year (AB).

I hope we get Washington :D but Strickland does look like he could be good too.

Imo, it all depends on who is dropping the passes based on past performance. For example, if it were Kobena dropping passes no one would be alarmed because that was the norm. When AB drops a pass or two...it's alarming because of his past performances. After injuries, his hands have been his biggest weakness.

When the young guys (Custis, Anoicy et al) drop a pass, I think most of us take a "wait and see" approach because there isn't a big enough body of work.

Hunt's lack of touch on his passes may have contributed to a few of Saturday's drops. He really whizzed a few at close range.

Roberts committed to Syracuse in October of that year, deciding between Illinois and Syracuse that both offered. He wasn't flipped from a MAC school and we didn't offer him last minute.

My bad, thought he was a Western Michigan commit. Illinois, to me anyway, may as well be a MAC school- it was his only other P-5 offer. Either way, the point I was trying to make is that I'd take a kid with his mentality 10 out of 10 times over a kid that has an air of entitlement who is seeking the spotlight before putting any work in at the next level.

Did you watch the "game"? Just curious.

I know his stats are abysmal, but there is definitely more to the story. He looked comfortable going through his progressions and his accuracy, in general, appeared better.
Yeah I was there for the whole thing. I agree 100% that he looked more comfortable sitting in the pocket and going through his reads but he should be knowing he can't get hit. And no matter how much the game slows down for him or he absorbs the playbook, it won't help if he can't throw the ball. He lacks touch on short balls and lacks accuracy on deep balls. I saw nothing from the RBs to make me believe they will be the focus of this offense. We live or die with Hunt and he has alot of work to do before fall.

Pyle said:
Yeah I was there for the whole thing. I agree 100% that he looked more comfortable sitting in the pocket and going through his reads but he should be knowing he can't get hit. And no matter how much the game slows down for him or he absorbs the playbook, it won't help if he can't throw the ball. He lacks touch on short balls and lacks accuracy on deep balls. I saw nothing from the RBs to make me believe they will be the focus of this offense. We live or die with Hunt and he has alot of work to do before fall.

Agree with this take. I think Hunt does too, from some of his comments (talking about ball placement). But knowing where to go based on the D is huge. Large WR (Custis and Enoicy), TE involvement, and a stud like Ish will help.

Here's hoping a summer in the IPF helps with his accuracy...

Agree with this take. I think Hunt does too, from some of his comments (talking about ball placement). But knowing where to go based on the D is huge. Large WR (Custis and Enoicy), TE involvement, and a stud like Ish will help.

Here's hoping a summer in the IPF helps with his accuracy...

I think an actual effort of integrating the TE into the passing game and Ish will definitely make a huge difference. Both Ish and the TE play were the highlights of the offense for me.

What is your reasoning for this? 10-33, ~150 yds, 0 TDs... Unless you think our defense is top of the ACC then we have alot of red flags right now on offense.

For much of the first half of the scrimmage I sat mid-field about 14 rows up behind the SU Bench.

For the second half of the scrimmage I stood on the SU bench.

So I had a pretty good vantage point.

I thought Hunt looked poised and confident. I thought he released the ball quickly and efficiently.

I thought the many of his passes were either dropped or impacted by the DB interference that seemed present on nearly every play.

Hunt threw a few passes that were clearly off the mark - a few were way off the mark.

But, all in all, I thought he looked like a seasoned, athletic QB.

For much of the first half of the scrimmage I sat mid-field about 14 rows up behind the SU Bench.

For the second half of the scrimmage I stood on the SU bench.

So I had a pretty good vantage point.

I thought Hunt looked poised and confident. I thought he released the ball quickly and efficiently.

I thought the many of his passes were either dropped or impacted by the DB interference that seemed present on nearly every play.

Hunt threw a few passes that were clearly off the mark - a few were way off the mark.

But, all in all, I thought he looked like a seasoned, athletic QB.

The fact that many are trying to dissect this spring game is pretty funny and typical.

The fact that many are trying to dissect this spring game is pretty funny and typical.

And it's typical that if the RB's had broken a few 50+ yard TD runs, WR's had caught 5 - 6 TD's, or Hunt had gone 25 - 30... I'm sure there would be a lot of dissecting the game from a lot of different people. Can't have it both ways.

What else do we have to discuss? Should we rehash the 3-9 season?

No you wait until week 1 ... they had Kendall Moore (all 240 lbs of him) playing center that should tell you all you need to know about what you can expect to get out of the "spring game".

No you wait until week 1 ... they had Kendall Moore (all 240 lbs of him) playing center that should tell you all you need to know about what you can expect to get out of the "spring game".
oh ok.
maybe we should moth ball the forum until Sept 4th?

it is all on shafer--at this point, we are not on par with gregg robinson.--offensively we have nothing w/o a competent qb and ol---i have NO CONFIDENCE in shafer as a head coach at this point. the only glimmer of hope is trying to recruit nj, and hopefully nyc--l.i.---the only thing that shafer has done on a positive note, was to fire the oc. even if the ol gets to be average we still do not have a qb. shafer is great def coordinator in the vein of greg schiano---he is also a hc like schiano in that he cannot deliver. schiano was a better recruiter---horrible hc. i thought shafers issue was lack of maturity, this season will define him.

it is all on shafer--at this point, we are not on par with gregg robinson.--offensively we have nothing w/o a competent qb and ol---i have NO CONFIDENCE in shafer as a head coach at this point. the only glimmer of hope is trying to recruit nj, and hopefully nyc--l.i.---the only thing that shafer has done on a positive note, was to fire the oc. even if the ol gets to be average we still do not have a qb. shafer is great def coordinator in the vein of greg schiano---he is also a hc like schiano in that he cannot deliver. schiano was a better recruiter---horrible hc. i thought shafers issue was lack of maturity, this season will define him.

This post makes me lol. Not on par with Greg Robinson? Am I reading this right, as in you are saying we are not as good as a gerg team?

oh ok.
maybe we should moth ball the forum until Sept 4th?

No but I would put aside making any judgements on THIS SEASON's team until they take the field. Anyone who thinks they can gain anything meaningful from that sham in the Dome is either not too astute or wants to come to negative conclusions. They had guys out there playing that will never even see the field during the regular season. Some of those guys you could tell were just going through the motions it was a dog and pony show. This team could be a trainwreck or a complete surprise and no one knows that nor can they determine that off whatever that was they put out there in the Dome ... maybe we should mothball a few posters until then ... that might do us all some good.

No but I would put aside making any judgements on THIS SEASON's team until they take the field. Anyone who thinks they can gain anything meaningful from that sham in the Dome is either not too astute or wants to come to negative conclusions. They had guys out there playing that will never even see the field during the regular season. Some of those guys you could tell were just going through the motions it was a dog and pony show. This team could be a trainwreck or a complete surprise and no one knows that nor can they determine that off whatever that was they put out there in the Dome ... maybe we should mothball a few posters until then ... that might do us all some good.
the program is a crisis mode ---we do not need a spring game to tell us that---you had last season and shafers immature behavior as an indicator --make no mistake this season defines him as a hc or not---