O-line play was scary bad... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

O-line play was scary bad...

the program is a crisis mode ---we do not need a spring game to tell us that---you had last season and shafers immature behavior as an indicator --make no mistake this season defines him as a hc or not---

Not sure what that has to do with my point ... again you cannot use the "spring game" of a barometer of how good this team could or will be ... you haven't stated anything new. As for his "immature" behavior all of these coaches have their moments .. even Saban laying into the press about underestimating cupcakes was a doozy ... try to pump the breaks on that one would you? Last season was a mess marked by bad in-game decisions, an OC that had paralysis by analysis, a lot of bad injuries and yet they still put a solid defense on the field and took a very good Clemson team to the limit in death valley. While I am not thrilled with the state of the program and wish it were much better considering the NCAA mess and all the crap that went on last year I think the chicken little stuff is a little over stated.

the program is a crisis mode ---we do not need a spring game to tell us that---you had last season and shafers immature behavior as an indicator --make no mistake this season defines him as a hc or not---

Crisis mode? Really? Seems harsh and over-reactive. Crisis mode was when you had no confidence at all going into years 2, 3, and 4 of Gerg and wondering if Syracuse would ever get to even a marginal bowl game again and wondered if we'd have the chance to be part of a power football conference going forward. To me, that is crisis mode. Today's state, while certainly not ideal, is far from a crisis. Facilities are improving, money is flowing in, recruits are still coming - some of which we aren't competing with Akron with any longer - I'm trying to see a crisis and your POV but I just can't.

. . . .Today's state, while certainly not ideal, is far from a crisis. Facilities are improving, money is flowing in, recruits are still coming - some of which we aren't competing with Akron with any longer - I'm trying to see a crisis and your POV but I just can't.

A deflating season ends with 5 losses in a row, a record of 3-9 that could have been worse (Villanova), there's your crisis.

Easy to understand why the program is in "show me" status with many fans. Maybe when those "recruits still coming" actually commit?

A deflating season ends with 5 losses in a row, a record of 3-9 that could have been worse (Villanova), there's your crisis.

Easy to understand why the program is in "show me" status with many fans. Maybe when those "recruits still coming" actually commit?

Ok, couldn't agree more re: "show me" status. No doubt about that.

I'm not being confrontational, but trying to understand: If this current state is crisis mode, what was Gerg years 2 through 4? Double-stacked Crisis Mode?

Oh, and we got 25 mostly 3* recruits to commit. I don't see many other programs filling up for 2016 just yet.

Was 2011 a crisis? They lost 5 in a row to end the season and the OOC wasn't nearly as difficult as it was last year ... please step off the ledge. Oh and that was when we were in a conference that isn't nearly as good as the one we are in now ... I swear many here lose perspective far too quickly.

Was 2011 a crisis? They lost 5 in a row to end the season and the OOC wasn't nearly as difficult as it was last year ... please step off the ledge. Oh and that was when we were in a conference that isn't nearly as good as the one we are in now ... I swear many here lose perspective far too quickly.

Yes, the discouraging ending of the 2011 season was a crisis -- at least in the minds of many here --- and the 2012 team had to rebound to re-establish that SU football had relevance. Same situation now. The attitude of the fan base in April 2012 was pretty much the same as what it is now.

Is "crisis" the wrong word? Would you prefer "challenged"? Hope Shafer, Lester, Hunt and others feel challenged to work a turn-around.

Yes, the discouraging ending of the 2011 season was a crisis -- at least in the minds of many here --- and the 2012 team had to rebound to re-establish that SU football had relevance. Same situation now. The attitude of the fan base in April 2012 was pretty much the same as what it is now.

Is "crisis" the wrong word? Would you prefer "challenged"? Hope Shafer, Lester, Hunt and others feel challenged to work a turn-around.

Yes crisis is the wrong word ... I reserve that word for things like an NCAA shutdown or ... you know something so severe that life as you know will change for a long period of time. Recruiting looks better than it has in a while and this team has every opportunity to pull a 2012 out of its proverbial hat if the defense can leverage some of the youthful athleticism. However if they go out and win even less games than 2014 and we have a bunch of recruits jumping ship and we are unable to close a class then one could panic a little. Bottom line we could get a commitment from RW and this team could just as easily win 7 games as it could lose 7 and our entire outlook is different. Let it all play out for a few months before we go imploding things ...

They don't need to ... they have TV and the internet to form such well rounded opinions of the guy. I pray you are picking up on my sarcasm there ...

I am ;D

and smash podiums, talk about isis etc etc---go 3-9:bang:

Does this mean Coach Mac was immature as well ... didn't he have a 2 win season? Who cares if he talked about ISIS honestly that is the most over blown thing people on this forum could talk about ... sad part is he is right .. losing is a problem but there are bigger ones out there .. of course most are too stupid to get the point. If you think for an instant he is satisfied with last season you are wrong ... seems to be a common theme with you though.

Does this mean Coach Mac was immature as well ... didn't he have a 2 win season? Who cares if he talked about ISIS honestly that is the most over blown thing people on this forum could talk about ... sad part is he is right .. losing is a problem but there are bigger ones out there .. of course most are too stupid to get the point. If you think for an instant he is satisfied with last season you are wrong ... seems to be a common theme with you though.
Exactly. It's very difficult to reason with someone who is soooo thick...they don't even realize they're dumb ;-)

i guess you have reading issue--i never said that he was satisfied with last season.i said he has a leadership maturity issue that is clearly relevant. a leader invokes confidence NOT empty bravado

tipphill said:
i guess you have reading issue--i never said that he was satisfied with last season.i said he has a leadership maturity issue that is clearly relevant. a leader invokes confidence NOT empty bravado

Our players are confident in his leadership. They didn't quit on him. That the results didn't match is irrelevant.

I don't find his bravado empty. Plus I've heard too many well spoken, well thought out moments with him to think it's empty.

You can question his hires and offensive production - and his W-L record from last year. Other than that? He's an easy guy to root for. Not because of his words alone, either.

Nevermind. Counter-productive...

I don't have a reading issue ... he doesn't have a maturity issue, you have an intelligence issue. If you weren't bitter and angry you would get this ...

Our players are confident in his leadership. They didn't quit on him. That the results didn't match is irrelevant.

I don't find his bravado empty. Plus I've heard too many well spoken, well thought out moments with him to think it's empty.

You can question his hires and offensive production - and his W-L record from last year. Other than that? He's an easy guy to root for. Not because of his words alone, either.
He's incredibly easy to root for. That's why I take some stuff (weird punting decisions, for example) hard. I want to see it work. There are reasons to believe it will. There are just a few nagging things that I really hope aren't windows in to bigger issues.

OttoinGrotto said:
He's incredibly easy to root for. That's why I take some stuff (weird punting decisions, for example) hard. I want to see it work. There are reasons to believe it will. There are just a few nagging things that I really hope aren't windows in to bigger issues.

Agreed. First step is average offensive production... Big important hill to climb.