Obokoh and Coleman | Syracusefan.com

Obokoh and Coleman

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
Both with career nights.
A. Major turnaround for both?
B. Terrible opponent?
C. The coaching of one Mr. Mike Hopkins?

I'm not sure. I would say A isn't hugely likely. B is definitely true, but we have played plenty of horri-awful teams and neither went off like this. As for C, the team made more of effort to feed those two than I've seen all year and they both came through with solid catches and solid finishes. So I am goin to say A and C as my answer. Thoughts?

HoustonCuse said:
Both with career nights. A. Major turnaround for both? B. Terrible opponent? C. The coaching of one Mr. Mike Hopkins? I'm not sure. I would say A isn't hugely likely. B is definitely true, but we have played plenty of horri-awful teams and neither went off like this. As for C, the team made more of effort to feed those two than I've seen all year and they both came through with solid catches and solid finishes. So I am goin to say A and C as my answer. Thoughts?

Obokoh isn't a stiff.

No reason he can't provide some minutes in games the rest of the season.

But JB doesn't like to play more than 7. So he'll sit come January 9.

Both with career nights.
A. Major turnaround for both?
B. Terrible opponent?
C. The coaching of one Mr. Mike Hopkins?

I'm not sure. I would say A isn't hugely likely. B is definitely true, but we have played plenty of horri-awful teams and neither went off like this. As for C, the team made more of effort to feed those two than I've seen all year and they both came through with solid catches and solid finishes. So I am goin to say A and C as my answer. Thoughts?
Im not sure why it happened, but it sure was nice to see! How nice would that be, on even a semi-regular basis?

more than likely B, especially in case of Chino.

With Dejaun - hopefully he gets some Andy-itis. Andy came out of nowhere hitting a few 3's and the confidence started to grow and then BOOM comes the Seton Hall game. Obviously a huge difference in recruit status, and not even JB thought Andy could be that good. But hopefully Coleman can gain the same type of confidence and grow it.

One thing I will say about Hop -- his rotations are great now. It was great to see all 4 bench guys get significant minutes and build confidence. It was clear Montana State isn't a great team, but if JB was on the sidleines I have a feeling we would have seen our normal Cooney/G for 35 minutes each with the starters hogging most of the minutes. I thought Kaleb and Howard both played well I love that Hop is giving these dudeds a chance

One thing I will say about Hop -- his rotations are great now. It was great to see all 4 bench guys get significant minutes and build confidence. It was clear Montana State isn't a great team, but if JB was on the sidleines I have a feeling we would have seen our normal Cooney/G for 35 minutes each with the starters hogging most of the minutes. I thought Kaleb and Howard both played well I love that Hop is giving these dudeds a chance
And Texas Southern is worse than Montana State so it should be even more interesting next game.

I know neither can jump like Roberson but I wonder if Obokoh and Akintobe could actually fit in at some PF for us.

Coleman and Obokohs body language especially on the offensive end reminds me a little of a pf, you just don't see many Michael Sweetney type centers in college basketball now a days. And Akintobe is no slouch he won the dunk contest.

We could go wide lineup Obokoh and Coleman
to Long high jumping lineup Lydon and Roberson.

Last edited:
Obokoh isn't a stiff.

No reason he can't provide some minutes in games the rest of the season.

But JB doesn't like to play more than 7. So he'll sit come January 9.

Obokoh IS a stiff but, you're right, he can provide a few minutes here and there just to get another body out there. One good game against a VASTLY inferior team VS his whole sample size doesn't transform the guy into something he isn't. I'm glad Hopkins got him out there, however. They can't improve riding pine.

Last edited:
Chino doubled his career output with 11 points tonight. That was great. This was totally a B situation. I am glad the kid played well I didn't watch 1 minute but the boxscore looks great.

We are going to need him during conference play when Coleman/Lydon get foul trouble. So it is great he played well tonight. He needed a total laugher and got it.

Chino doubled his career output with 11 points tonight. That was great. This was totally a B situation. I am glad the kid played well I didn't watch 1 minute but the boxscore looks great.

We are going to need him during conference play when Coleman/Lydon get foul trouble. So it is great he played well tonight. He needed a total laugher and got it.

The reason I shied away from B was more because C is probably a better answer: in that Obokoh couldn't have done anything positive if he wasn't out there and Hopkins gave him significant minutes even though Coleman was having a breakthrough night. This is interesting because I think JB would have rode Coleman tonight, maybe helping his confidence but also maybe marring a great stepping stone night with some lesser play later in the game. Additionally, Obokoh and Coleman both finished pretty well tonight and both caught the ball extremely well (sounds like a minor thing but we know it isn't).

Regardless of box score, this is by far the best either of them has ever looked in a game in their careers. It wasn't solely due to inferior opponent. Do I think they will both turn into All-Pro centers? Of course not, but real strides were made tonight.

The reason I shied away from B was more because C is probably a better answer: in that Obokoh couldn't have done anything positive if he wasn't out there and Hopkins gave him significant minutes even though Coleman was having a breakthrough night. This is interesting because I think JB would have rode Coleman tonight, maybe helping his confidence but also maybe marring a great stepping stone night with some lesser play later in the game. Additionally, Obokoh and Coleman both finished pretty well tonight and both caught the ball extremely well (sounds like a minor thing but we know it isn't).

Regardless of box score, this is by far the best either of them has ever looked in a game in their careers. It wasn't solely due to inferior opponent. Do I think they will both turn into All-Pro centers? Of course not, but real strides were made tonight.

Love this post.

Coleman: A, to a degree.

Obokoh: B, with shades of C

Coleman is still knocking off ring rust. He's coming off of a nearly two-year hitatus, he doesn't really have very much game time under his belt, and is also recuperating from a significant surgery. He's got some talent, and has been showing flashes. Doesn't mean he's going to ever play like Rak, but I think he's starting to get a bit more comfortable offensively. And we could use him being able to finish a bit inside.

Obokoh hasn't played much. Today, he was playing against a subpar frontcourt, but that doesn't change that it could be a confidence builder. The question is whether or not he can build upon it with one more cupcake on the schedule, to put himself in a position to potentially garner minutes in conference play. Longshot, but let's see what happens on Sunday.

Coleman: A, to a degree.

Obokoh: B, with shades of C

Coleman is still knocking off ring rust. He's coming off of a nearly two-year hitatus, he doesn't really have very much game time under his belt, and is also recuperating from a significant surgery. He's got some talent, and has been showing flashes. Doesn't mean he's going to ever play like Rak, but I think he's starting to get a bit more comfortable offensively. And we could use him being able to finish a bit inside.

Obokoh hasn't played much. Today, he was playing against a subpar frontcourt, but that doesn't change that it could be a confidence builder. The question is whether or not he can build upon it with one more cupcake on the schedule, to put himself in a position to potentially garner minutes in conference play. Longshot, but let's see what happens on Sunday.

Coleman said in the post game interview that "my body is coming together".

more than likely B, especially in case of Chino.

With Dejaun - hopefully he gets some Andy-itis. Andy came out of nowhere hitting a few 3's and the confidence started to grow and then BOOM comes the Seton Hall game. Obviously a huge difference in recruit status, and not even JB thought Andy could be that good. But hopefully Coleman can gain the same type of confidence and grow it.

I would like to see the splits on Coleman's free throw percentage after a made basket versus all his other free throws.

It seems to me that he makes an unusually high percentage (with great form) as part of an and-one, and it seems likely that increased confidence plays a role in that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom