Observations on this week's NFL playoff games | Syracusefan.com

Observations on this week's NFL playoff games

SWC75

Bored Historian
27-20, 26-20, 31-24, 23-16. All the same game, right? Wow, they couldn't have been more different. The Chiefs brought field goals to a touchdown battle and got a late score to make it seem close. The Cardinals and Packers played one of the great games of all time, decided in over time after a miracle finish to regulation. The Panthers totally blew out the Seahawks in the first half , then relaxed too much and allowed them to dominate the second half. and barely held on to win. Then the Broncos and Steelers engage in a defensive struggle which Denver finally pulled out after the only turnover of the game and they'd gotten their running game finally untracked.

Can the Panthers get the switch turned back on for next week? I've seen teams stop playing hard and never get it back. Will the Broncos learn to catch passes by next week? Don't the patriots suddenly look like the Patriots again? Will this be title #5? I'd much rather see the Cardinals win for the first time since 1947 or the Panthers win their first ever title. or see Manning carried off the field and announce that he's quitting on top and off to Disney World.

How do they decide what is reviewable and what isn't? Manning goes down. It looked like he was giving himself up but, realizing he wasn't touched, get sup to complete a pass. it can't be reviewed. Why? Isn't "giving yourself up" a physical act or does it involve mind reading?

And I'll still take the college overtime over the pros. Aaron Rodgers never got a shot.

I love the idea of calling "Hail Mary's" "Hail Aarons" from now on as he's so good at them.

More than ever before, if you want to win a Super Bowl, you've got to have a top quarterback. Next week we'll have Brady vs. Manning again and Cam newton vs. the under-rated Carson Palmer. Rodgers and Rothlesberger are all-time greats. Alex Smith is another under-rated one and Russell Wilson has certainly proven himself. It's not enough to be a "game manager". You've got to be able to make plays under pressure.

Last edited:
Arguing about overtime rules is probably as pointless as politics because I mean who is ever changing their mind now. But I just cannot resist saying that I can't even fathom preferring the disgusting gimmicky garbage that is the college rules. It' the answer to the nba's "hey lets just inbound at halfcourt after a time out just because". Sudden death was too harsh because rules favor offense so much now & FGs are so easy. Current NFL rule is perfect.

Arguing about overtime rules is probably as pointless as politics because I mean who is ever changing their mind now. But I just cannot resist saying that I can't even fathom preferring the disgusting gimmicky garbage that is the college rules. It' the answer to the nba's "hey lets just inbound at halfcourt after a time out just because". Sudden death was too harsh because rules favor offense so much now & FGs are so easy. Current NFL rule is perfect.

This is entertainment and the college OT is far more entertaining. It's also fairer because both offensive teams get a shot. It also used to have the advantage of stressing touchdowns over field goals but the recent rule change did address that.

I wish the college OT would push back the starting field position being the 25 yard line. Move it back to 50 yard line or 40 yard line. The offense should be required to get atleast 1 first down to be in FG range.

The NFL OT rule is fine. If you can't stop the other team from getting a TD. Then you don't deserve to win IMO. I hated the old rule when the coin toss could be won and the team getting a FG and game over.

This is entertainment and the college OT is far more entertaining. It's also fairer because both offensive teams get a shot. It also used to have the advantage of stressing touchdowns over field goals but the recent rule change did address that.
It's also infinitely more likely for games to go into triple OT or longer, which just ramps up the pressure and excitement level ten fold. Can you imagine a quadruple OT Super Bowl like the Miami vs. Ohio State national championship game back in 01' ?

Instant classic for all time

I wish the college OT would push back the starting field position being the 25 yard line. Move it back to 50 yard line or 40 yard line. The offense should be required to get atleast 1 first down to be in FG range.

The NFL OT rule is fine. If you can't stop the other team from getting a TD. Then you don't deserve to win IMO. I hated the old rule when the coin toss could be won and the team getting a FG and game over.

Why dont you get deserve a chance to match just because the other team won a coin flip? Football is defense, special teams, and offense. So what you are basically saying is defense should decide football games over offense, rather than them being equally weighted.

I hear that argument all the time that "if you cant prevent a TD you dont deserve to win."

Yet the statement is pure opinion based on nothing but a personal preference or bias. Its like saying the home team doesn't deserve a chance in the bottom of the 9th because if they deserved to win, they wouldnt need to bat in the bottom of the 9th.

Some good games, also some very questionable coaching. Reid's clock management debacle, Arians throwing on 2nd and 8, and blitzing on the hail mary, Carrol not kicking the fg in the first half.

Some good games, also some very questionable coaching. Reid's clock management debacle, Arians throwing on 2nd and 8, and blitzing on the hail mary, Carrol not kicking the fg in the first half.

i think there are at least as many questionable decisions in the pros as I see in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom