Of JB's 304 losses how many were | Syracusefan.com

Of JB's 304 losses how many were

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan

lost at the buzzer by an opponents shot or with time nearly exhausted giving us only 1-2 or around 3 seconds to answer back?

How many were lost when our opponent with their last possession scored and we failed to with more than 3 seconds left.

Can you name some?

A certain national championship game comes immediately to mind :eek:

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

The Cleveland State team was a solid team and played well in the NCAAs.

But I blame that loss solely on Cheriehoop and Mr. Cheriehoop who could have easily blocked the shot, spilled a beer in front of the shooter or stuck out their feet to ensure an SU victory. Coulda woulda shoulda.

Seton Hall in the Big East tournament in '94? And Villanova sometime around then, too, I think.

Same can be said about wins. Gmac, Terrence Roberts, etc.

Not a buzzer beater, but one of the worst Syracuse losses in recent memory was against Wichita St, when D Nichols blew the dunk.

Not a buzzer beater, but one of the worst Syracuse losses in recent memory was against Wichita St, when D Nichols blew the dunk.

What about the blown lay-up versus Drexel?

Actually, he blew a tire on the way to the rim, lost his balance. and got caught between. He scores there, we win, and make the tournament the following March. Although, they should have been invited anyway. Bloody Gary Walters.

lost at the buzzer by an opponents shot or with time nearly exhausted giving us only 1-2 or around 3 seconds to answer back?

How many were lost when our opponent with their last possession scored and we failed to with more than 3 seconds left.

Can you name some?

1989-90 had TWO buzzer beaters where Cuse lost...
Providence at the Dome, 87-86
Notre Dame at the Dome, 66-65

1992-93 had at least one buzzer beater loss I remember...
Boston College at the Dome, 94-93

I think we may have also lost to St. Johns @MSG on a buzzer beater in 1991-92, but I'm not 100% sure.

1989-90 had TWO buzzer beaters where Cuse lost...
Providence at the Dome, 87-86
Notre Dame at the Dome, 66-65

1992-93 had at least one buzzer beater loss I remember...
Boston College at the Dome, 94-93

I think we may have also lost to St. Johns @MSG on a buzzer beater in 1991-92, but I'm not 100% sure.
That Notre Dame buzzer beater is one of my earliest memories of SU basketball, watching it on TV with my aunt. Have always cheered a bit louder when we beat them (b-ball or football) to this day.

How about the 81-82 BET opening round loss to Boston College where we were up 8 92-84 with 2 minutes to go and lost 94-92. I don't remember how the end actually played out, but I remember it being a horrible, horrible loss.

Another really crushing loss was the 85-86 BET championship game against St. John's. Where St. John's scored to take a lead with about 10 seconds to go and Pearl tried to counter but had his shot blocked by Walter Berry.

I don't think anyone mentioned it but the infamous last game in Manley. Lost that 52-50, didn't we get a last shot at a tie game there?

The Cleveland State team was a solid team and played well in the NCAAs.

But I blame that loss solely on Cheriehoop and Mr. Cheriehoop who could have easily blocked the shot, spilled a beer in front of the shooter or stuck out their feet to ensure an SU victory. Coulda woulda shoulda.

As I said in a later thread about the age of SU fans and now a post to prove it - children should be seen and not heard ;) . I was only protecting the image, reputation of the seats' true owner otherwise JB would be heading for win 902 at MSG and I'd be a youtube sensation!

The Notre Dame game started my disgust with Digger when he danced a jig on the floor after the winning shot went in.

Courtesy of SNY's classics, one more: 31 January 1987 against Georgetown in Landover. The won on a true buzzer beater by Perry McDonald in overtime.

We handed it away before that - toward the end of regulation, Coleman had been fouled (we were up one and he was shooting a one-and-one) when he inexplicably chose to kick a Georgetown player in the head and got called for a technical. Can't make this stuff up.

Georgetown in the dome. No idea what year but their PG was Michael Jackson. SU scored with about 5 seconds left to take the lead and Siekaly passed the ball right to the inbounds player. They go end to end and win. If he'd let it roll, we win.

Another really crushing loss was the 85-86 BET championship game against St. John's. Where St. John's scored to take a lead with about 10 seconds to go and Pearl tried to counter but had his shot blocked by Walter Berry.
Bad memory.
I was sitting behind the SJU basket for that Ron Rowan shot.
Otherwise Pearl had a great game...20 points & 14 assists.

But one correction to this thread.
We have NEVER lost to G-town.
There have merely been a few instances when the buzzer sounded before we outscored them.

Georgetown in the dome. No idea what year but their PG was Michael Jackson. SU scored with about 5 seconds left to take the lead and Siekaly passed the ball right to the inbounds player. They go end to end and win. If he'd let it roll, we win.

you mean charles smith? he had the coast to coast layup to beat us, 1 of the earliest cuse games i remember watching.

you mean charles smith? he had the coast to coast layup to beat us, 1 of the earliest cuse games i remember watching.
You're probably right. i probably got that mixed up.

Edit: looks like we're both right. It looks like it was '86 when both were on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom